Premium members don't see ads. Click here to upgrade.

No fan engine cooling solution

SSSF

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Raider, Vorteks
You can use your metal chassis as cooling plate if you use a thermal pad between the engine and the chassis.

I got a small piece to test with a 5 mm height. It was trimmed down in the middle to 2.5mm because that is the distance between my motor and chassis on my kraton. This can be easily done with a knife.

Some specs: run with new 4S 6000mAh 50C continuous, 100C burst.
Pignon: 15T.
Outside temperature 23 degree C (73F).
Engine temp was 55 degreee C (131F) when lipo was almost empty, I was trying to get as mush power as possible through engine by going full trottle and full brake continuously on grass surface.
Chassis temperature was 46 degree C (111F) underneath motor and almost the complete chassis felt a bit warm, although underneath motor the hottest.

In the image you can see that I only had a part of the motor connected to the chassis, I still need to trim the piece lying behind it to have the complete motor area connected to the chassis.
IMG_20190611_202452.jpg

Here is the type used: https://www.digikey.nl/product-detail/en/t-global-technology/TG6050-25-20-5/1168-1695-ND/3300353

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I'd be curious what kind of temps you saw before the pad. The alloy motor case and alloy mount transfer a lot of heat to the chassis as it is.

How firm is that material? Pretty squishy?

jondilly1974

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
4x4-Mega, Granite
As an IT guy, I’m familiar with this material as it’s used often with various chips in computing. It’s usually semi soft spongy material. Easy to mold. Cheap too. Great idea.

SSSF

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Raider, Vorteks
Motor temps before where to hot to touch, so way above 60°C, and then I was not even trying to do put it under max load.
I know the engine motor mount helps too, but with the pad you feel that the chassis is warmer.
As you can see in the datasheet I provided, the more pressure you give it the better the heat transfer.

I think I can do a better job here. I cut it to size( removed the round motor area) and used matches, screwdriver and whatnot to puch it under the motor from the back. I could not get it further so that is the reason the second pad is not installed.

I need to remove motor place it correctly and then install motor again. Trying to put max pressure on pad and position pignon correctly. That might be a challenge. At least I know know where to position the pad.

Last edited:

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Might be easier to put a line behind the motor on the chassis, then remove the center assembly with the motor, clean your chassis with DA, then apply the pad to the chassis at the line (leave a bit extra to allow for pinion changes, then put the center assembly back in. Then the pad is where you want it and it fully seats in the valleys of the ridges on the motor can.

toyotatime

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I like the simplicity of this.
I'm designing a liquid cooled setup for my kraton v2. Water jacket for a rc boat, small mag drive pump (no leaks) and a real 40mm x 120mm radiator for a computer

Premium members don't see ads. Click here to upgrade.