Granite no wheelies why is this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_vin0

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey All I'm so frustrated with my granite it will not do wheelies I have a 17t pinion and stock spur and will not pull a single wheelie I have a 3s lipo 80c and will not do a single wheelie my slipper is not lose my diffs are all good my lipo is fully charged it has b brushless system, its a spectrum 80A ESC with 3300kv motor its a combo. what else can I do to fix this?

When you gun the throttle, are the rear tyres losing grip? If so that's why she not pulling wheelies, try it on a grippy surface next time?

My Typhon 3S doesn't wheelie on tarmac but on a rubber running track last night (much more grip) it was pulling them for fun 👍

First of all, you went cheap and got the 80a combo which probably came with a 3650/3300kv motor. That smaller 50mm motor doesn't have as much torque as a 3660 or 3665 size motor. 2nd, lower your pinion gear to 14t or 15t and you will get more torque out of that motor and maybe be able to pull wheelies.

All the above advice is good. Grippy tires, high traction road surface, tighter slipper, thicker diff fluid, higher punch level, smaller pinion,, will all make it easier to wheelie, but the power of the ESC/motor combo is probably the primary cause. With a stock Granite ESC/motor, you don't have to worry about the other factors, it will wheelie.

Last edited:
All the above advice is good. Grippy tires, high traction road surface, tighter slipper, thicker diff fluid, higher punch level, smaller pinion,, will all make it easier to wheelie, but the power of the ESC/motor combo is probably the primary cause. With a stock Granite ESC/motor, you don't have to worry about the other factors, it will wheelie.
That's exactly what I was saying. The 80a ESC with a 3650 motor just doesn't have enough torque for a 1/10 monster truck. Only way to make up for the low torque is to use a smaller pinion.

To provide a counterpoint, I have a granite with 3752 3000kv motor and 70 esc that pulls wheelies. I’m not sure the motor is the issue here.

To provide a counterpoint, I have a granite with 3752 3000kv motor and 70 esc that pulls wheelies. I’m not sure the motor is the issue here.
I agree! I said it earlier in this thread, slippers probably too loose. Took me a while to find a sweet spot. I haven’t ran the new 3s spektrum system, but I can’t imagine it’s any different than the BLX100 which I still run in my kids Granite. (Wheelies no problem) I’ve got a 4s BLX120 in mine and it won’t stop doing wheelies!😉

It might be the slipper. But I doubt you have a 3752 motor. Maybe a 3652 but not a 3752.
Doubt away, friend:

1E3B255F-AAAB-4E64-AFE8-C84B6319C7F5.jpeg

Hey man, I only partially understand motor size. Can you explain please?
A 3660 motor is what comes stock in the 3s BLX rigs. First two numbers is the diameter of the motor, second two are the length. So a 3660 has a 36mm diameter and the motor can is 60mm long. A longer motor can has more torque. I have a 3670 motor in my Big Rock. Lots of torque which allows me to use a bigger pinion and get more top speed without the truck seeming sluggish.

The KV rating is basically how fast the motor will spin in relation your battery. Take the KV×Volts=RPM. Most motors have a maximum RPM rating of 50,000-60,000RPMs. You wanna shot for 30,000-40,000 RPMs for optimum performance with the least heat. Hence, the lower KV allows you to use a bigger battery which gives you more power.

That's just the basics. There is actually a lot more to it than the little I just explained. I'm sure someone else can probably explain it a little better, but hope this helps.

A longer motor can has more torque.
While this is absolutely true, I believe increasing diameter has an even great effect on torque.

For example, increasing diameter by 10mm would make a much larger difference than increasing length by 10mm.

I’m no expert and my understanding is simply from online reading. So someone please tell me if I’m wrong.

A 3660 motor is what comes stock in the 3s BLX rigs. First two numbers is the diameter of the motor, second two are the length. So a 3660 has a 36mm diameter and the motor can is 60mm long. A longer motor can has more torque. I have a 3670 motor in my Big Rock. Lots of torque which allows me to use a bigger pinion and get more top speed without the truck seeming sluggish.

The KV rating is basically how fast the motor will spin in relation your battery. Take the KV×Volts=RPM. Most motors have a maximum RPM rating of 50,000-60,000RPMs. You wanna shot for 30,000-40,000 RPMs for optimum performance with the least heat. Hence, the lower KV allows you to use a bigger battery which gives you more power.

That's just the basics. There is actually a lot more to it than the little I just explained. I'm sure someone else can probably explain it a little better, but hope this helps.
That gets me past what I’ve picked so far, thanks man!

While this is absolutely true, I believe increasing diameter has an even great effect on torque.

For example, increasing diameter by 10mm would make a much larger difference than increasing length by 10mm.

I’m no expert and my understanding is simply from online reading. So someone please tell me if I’m wrong.
Yes, you are right. A bigger diameter has a big effect on torque. But a lot of times we are limited to certain sizes of motors for our rigs. In a 1/10 rig a 36mm diameter motor fits great. Increase the diameter by 10mm to a 46mm can and you're gonna have a hard time fitting it on your rig. But increase the length by 5mm, 10mm or even 14mm and you can still fit a 3665, 3670 or 3674 motor in our 1/10 rigs without much of a problem.
That gets me past what I’ve picked so far, thanks man!
No problem. Like I said, there's a lit more to it than that, but I gave you the basics.

Back