Noise from rear when turning wheels manually

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntm10308

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
  2. Granite
  3. Raider
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Vorteks
Hi,
I have a new Arrma Fury that I have run about 4 times with no issues. Recently when I turn the rear wheels by hand I hear a ticking noise coming from the rear end. Is this anything to be worried about?

My prediction - diff gears are about to go bang - mine did this after 2 days new out of the box, took it back and they rebuilt it (mines a 2013 BLX) and it broke again straight away - took it back then rebuilt it again but with 2014 spec gears and thicker shims and seems to have resolved it.

Thanks. I brought the truck in June of this year. You think they would have the right gears in it by now. I will use it until it goes and then have them fix it under their 2 year warranty.

I have the Red BLS Fury. I purchased it in June of this year. Beside the noise both rear wheels turn together when I turn them by hand.

So I should get the diff gear set from them and replace it? Hopefully it will last a longer.

Remember that the BLS differential is a composite one and not the metal one. If you are upgrading go for the metal one.
And as your Fury is still under warranty take it to the place where you bought it and have them repair it under the warranty.

I purchased it from Tower Hobbies. I have to send pics of the diff to their warranty dept, prove it's broken and then they can send me the rebuild parts. Thanks for the help. I have to order online because there are no hobby shops in my area.

Hi Again,
Ran the Fury yesterday with the old differential. Noise still there but car ran great. Does not make any sense. I ordered the new diff kit. Hope to replace it this week.

I adjusted the slipper to the factory setting according to the user manual. The noise is still there and both rear wheels turn together when you turn them by hand. I will replace the diff gears when i get them.

Fury diff update. I removed the diff today from the Fury Bls. The gears were not stripped, all pins intact, and nothing looked worn. The one thing that was strange was there was thick green grease in the diff, no oil and one out drive shaft was hard to turn. I am going to rebuild it with the maintenance kit and use the correct oil and see how it goes. Anyone ever seen this?

Should I use the oil or grease when I reassemble the diff? I don't know what is better and I don't have a LHS around that i can go to for help. Just the good people like you on the forum for help. Thanks again.

Should I use the oil or grease when I reassemble the diff? I don't know what is better and I don't have a LHS around that i can go to for help. Just the good people like you on the forum for help. Thanks again.

My diff still full of grease, pretty much behaves like a locked diff which is fine for me as I just bash about and do jumps. If you want to set the car up and tune the diff to suit your need to use silicone oil.

Thanks. Now I wondering if there was anything was wrong with the diff from the start. Maybe both wheels were turning together because of the thick grease. I guess the new gears can't hurt and maybe it will stop the noise I was hearing.

Thanks. Now I wondering if there was anything was wrong with the diff from the start. Maybe both wheels were turning together because of the thick grease. I guess the new gears can't hurt and maybe it will stop the noise I was hearing.

I think they just click, often on short acceleration or deceleration. Mine's had like a slight click since I bought it almost a year ago and it's been fine. Nothing wrong with the diff either. @poombah 's just a bit paranoid coz his diff went. :p Since then he's punished it quite hard without any further issues.

I'd still either replace the gears with the new ones, they made some upgrades to the shims if I remember correctly, and just keep old gears as spares, or keep old gears until it goes bang, then at least you have a replacement while you wait for warranty to send you more! ;)

Try running it on diff oil and see if there's a difference or whether it clears out your clicking.

Thanks for all the info. One more question. I don't remeber what order the the slipper clutch washers go when you reassemble it. There are three wahsers two are identical and one is different. Can anyone help me out?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back