Noob confusion about parts and upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Im new to all of this, so go easy and dumbdown your answers for me if thats ok?
Its been 30yrs since i had an rc car and a couple weeks back i bought myself A mini midlife crisis - A Granite 4x4 blx 3s (v3)

inevitably, repairs are required and id like to upgrade a few things.

mainly at this point im looking to replace some of the plastic components in the drive train/steering/suspension with aluminium parts because i can see wear and tear that may eventually causes breakage.

my question though relates more to the actual Granite model and its variants.

when im shopping around online i can see parts that i want that are listed as being suitable for the Granite mega, the previous Granite blx (v2?), Granite big rock and etc etc.
Im getting really confused and im just wondering what differences there are between models and if the parts i want are compatible with mine.

im looking at GPM racing aluminium parts in particular (will try to figure out how to post a link shortly)

im also looking at the metal CVD driveshafts which again, are listed on ebay as being suitable for other Granite variants, but not mine specificially.

any help or advice would be much appreciated!

I'm not too familiar with those rigs. Hopefully others will chime in shortly.
But to your question on crossing over parts.
The Mega 4x4 lines are similar. I would go to Arrma-RC.com and try and find the cross-reference parts guide. It shows the Arrma parts and what models they crossover to and are shared. Very helpful. A must have. Good luck.:cool:

I wouldn't go aluminum,weight becomes a factor on 1/10 quick. They are super strong the way they are.almost all big rock,senton, granite, typhon parts are COMPATIBLE.best 1/10 mod IMO is rpm typhon a-arms MOD..lots of threads on subject on here.makes truck much more enjoyable to drive.widens stance making truck more stable..less rollovers

Screenshot_20200719-022004_Photos.jpg

I've ordered a few gpm parts...NOT IMPRESSED,takes a month to get gpm also....this is the only gpm thing I've liked enough to order again .shock tower covers

Attachments

• 16056599322921832584732626345640.jpg
    16056599322921832584732626345640.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I'm not too familiar with those rigs. Hopefully others will chime in shortly.
But to your question on crossing over parts.
The Mega 4x4 lines are similar. I would go to Arrma-RC.com and try and find the cross-reference parts guide. It shows the Arrma parts and what models they crossover to and are shared. Very helpful. A must have. Good luck.:cool:
Ohhh i didn’t even know that existed!
Thanks!

Stay far away from aluminium parts if you drive the truck. Plastic suspension parts are the way to go, as they can flex instead of breaking. If you want to really pimp your Granite, you can consider the shocks from the Typhon 6S, new metal input drives and gears and spur...

As you're starting out, i'd suggest leaving all of this as is until it breaks and rather locate and fix the assembly problems that there may be in your truck. Diff and shock fluids may be low. Check the gear mesh. Make sure the motor is fixed to the motor mount with washers between the mount and the screw heads (many V3 are missing these). Check out the Razor RC youtube channel. He did a few very instructive videos recently on the Granite V3, namely on the power module issue, how to set up the mesh, etc.

Have fun!

Its in PDF , so you can download it.
I have a hard copy somewhere, but it is rather old. I pretty much know all my 6S rigs now.

Than
I wouldn't go aluminum,weight becomes a factor on 1/10 quick. They are super strong the way they are.almost all big rock,senton, granite, typhon parts are COMPATIBLE.best 1/10 mod IMO is rpm typhon a-arms MOD..lots of threads on subject on here.makes truck much more enjoyable to drive.widens stance making truck more stable..less rollovers

View attachment 109657
I've ordered a few gpm parts...NOT IMPRESSED,takes a month to get gpm also....this is the only gpm thing I've liked enough to order again .shock tower covers
Thanks for the tip re: a-arms.
I like that idea a lot! Have already started rounding up the bits!
I di
Stay far away from aluminium parts if you drive the truck. Plastic suspension parts are the way to go, as they can flex instead of breaking. If you want to really pimp your Granite, you can consider the shocks from the Typhon 6S, new metal input drives and gears and spur...

As you're starting out, i'd suggest leaving all of this as is until it breaks and rather locate and fix the assembly problems that there may be in your truck. Diff and shock fluids may be low. Check the gear mesh. Make sure the motor is fixed to the motor mount with washers between the mount and the screw heads (many V3 are missing these). Check out the Razor RC youtube channel. He did a few very instructive videos recently on the Granite V3, namely on the power module issue, how to set up the mesh, etc.

Have fun!

Thanks for “talking me down” hahah... yeah it does make sense, although im not liking the wear im seeing on the cv joints on the drive shafts (not sure if im using the right words here). Hence the idea to replace with metal.
It could just be my bad driving/constant crashing.
I did Also wonder about the alum parts being brittle...
Im gunna google all those little Post assembly maintenance Issues you mentioned.

I agree with all the comments above.
Get the GPM shock towers and maybe the shocks. There is a thread dedicated to all of the shocks available. Maybe aftermarket bumpers to clean up the look. And of course various tread styles for tires. Have fun with the rig and replace or upgrade parts as they break. The plastic is strong enough unless you are dropping it from a building (do not advise) :).

I bought shock towers and shocks directly from the source for my Senton 3s BLX and the parts arrived within a reasonable amount of time.

https://www.gpmparts.com/arrma-granite-4x4-mega-monster-truck-c-1532_4405_4628.html

SOLD OUT (sucks)
https://tboneracing.net/collections/arrma/products/10095-tbr-xv6-front-bumper-arrma-big-rock-3s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back