Typhon Noob here...help me build my Typhon TLR...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaitanium415

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a noob trying to get back into the RC world again. I came from racing 1/10 on-road HPI with gas motor. Man, I do miss that RC gas smell though. Any how, I'm on the fence of either building a Typhon TLR or buying the Felony/Infraction and call it a day.

I really want to build the TLR to my liking but do not know what good parts to go with. My end goal is just to have fun in an open parking lot or grassy field with top speed. I don't really want to go with Felon/Infraction because I live in the city with lots of pot holes but I do have second thoughts of it since its RTR.

What do you guys recommend to complete the TLR? My budget is about $1000-1200. I don't really like cheap parts. I like parts that will perform for the price.

Needed to Complete​

• (1) ESC
  • (1) Motor
  • (1) Pinion
  • (1) Transmitter
  • (1) Receiver
  • (1) Steering Servo
  • (1) Battery
  • (1) Charger
Thanks in advance!

MAX8 / 2200kv combo would be a very solid, economical setup for bashing. If you are thinking of racing, I’m not your guy.

For radios, I can’t suggest the Flysky Noble NB4 enough.

Servos are easy for such a light car. DS3235 is slight overkill but cheap and easy.

Battery I would go about a 5000mah 4S pack, like the Yowoo Graphene. Plenty of punch for low money.

Chargers I love my ISDT chargers.

Hello everyone! I'm a noob trying to get back into the RC world again. I came from racing 1/10 on-road HPI with gas motor. Man, I do miss that RC gas smell though. Any how, I'm on the fence of either building a Typhon TLR or buying the Felony/Infraction and call it a day.

I really want to build the TLR to my liking but do not know what good parts to go with. My end goal is just to have fun in an open parking lot or grassy field with top speed. I don't really want to go with Felon/Infraction because I live in the city with lots of pot holes but I do have second thoughts of it since its RTR.

What do you guys recommend to complete the TLR? My budget is about $1000-1200. I don't really like cheap parts. I like parts that will perform for the price.

Needed to Complete​

• (1) ESC
  • (1) Motor
  • (1) Pinion
  • (1) Transmitter
  • (1) Receiver
  • (1) Steering Servo
  • (1) Battery
  • (1) Charger
Thanks in advance!
Esc and motor I would go for the XR8 Plus 1900kv combo https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...r-combo-1900kv-hwa38020427/p-qqqetswqbcqcqctz
For a pinion I would go with try somewhere in the 18-22t range. Use Robinson Racing absolute hardened or Tekno pinions.
Transmitter I would say the Radiolink RC6GS V2 if you want good range or the Flysky Noble. The Radiolink is a cheap radio but it packs a lot of features into that cheap price that even radios that cost twice as much don't have.
Servo I would go with the DS3253 like @jondilly1974 suggested.
Same for the battery.
ISDT makes some good chargers but I would try to avoid the Q6 Nano, I really hate the fact that it only has one button, short press up moves the menu up, short press down moves the menu down, slightly long press selects and long press opens the menu, the difference between the slightly long press and the long press is so minute you end up in the menu half the time.

Just got mine. I am ordering my gear also as I speak.
My objective is a True Racing buggy setup as the TLRT was designed amd marketted for. That must include a 4s Sensored setup IMHO.
I will not be racing this rig at all but want a 4s setup. I have many Arrma rigs here. All bashers. I just want the TLRT to be a Race Ready example of an Arrma rig. Not just another Typhon V5 6s rig. 4s lipo packs are lighter also and benefit a race buggy. Understand that 1/8 Buggy racing is restricted to 4s lipos only. FWIW.
HW XR8 Pro or XR8 Plus. The Plus is a 6s ESC, but wil run 4s more effieciently than a Pro. However the Plus is heavier. And light weight is the objective with a Race Buggy. No getting around this. If you don't agree, then you should have gotten a V5 Typhon to begin with. Just me.:)

HW XR8 Pro/ 1900kv sensored combo is my first choice. I have an XR8 Plus here. May just get the HW 1900kv G3 motor to try. Not sure. There is a slight weight penalty though.
DS3235 35kg AMZ servo wil be fine for me.
I already have 2 "Ace of Gens" 7k mah 4s packs here. Not cheap. But there are many options to choose from.

Chargers are numerous out there. I'l let others steer you. I use 2 HobbyMate G6 Duo pros, with a separate PSU. Maybe overkill for you, IDK.
I already have a Noble NB4 Tx/Rx set here among my DX5C and RL RC6GS radios The Noble NB4 is my best here and a true track radio. Best latency rates for Racing. Feels very respsonsive and connected. A feature rich radio.
Many will bash the TLRT on 6s, I am sure, when a Typhon V5 will be better suited for this,
If anything I could see the TLRT suited for dedicated Speed Runner setups if not setup for Racing. A different animal altogether.

Check out @Engineer 's Build thread. If you haven't already. He recently did a sweet build up with his TLRT.
Good luck.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/my-tlr-tuned-typhon-build.44332/

Last edited:
Earl Morehead on you tube just started building one. Going with 6s to start then 8s. And he went over the set up. He will be uploading more videos.

This is my next vehicle.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. I think I will be doing what Earl Morehead set up is. @Boggs3010 just the type of information I needed. Earl even had the receipt break down. I think i will be doing a 6s or 8s setup.

Thanks a million everyone! You guys are awesome! Great information.

What do you guys think of castle product vs spektrum for esc/motor? Which is a better product? I like to buy once and cry once. :)

What do you guys think of castle product vs spektrum for esc/motor? Which is a better product? I like to buy once and cry once. :)
I would go Castle or Hobbywing over Spektrum, even though the Spektrums are just rebranded Hobbywing escs, the real Hobbywings seem to be better.

Yeah, less crippled firmware with Hobbywing branded ESCs - also Spektrum doesn't do the Hobbywing XERUN sensored line.
Not to mention the numerous reports of the Spektrum escs catching fire or letting out the magic smoke.

Agree 6 s is plenty. Mine will be 6s as I have spektrum take off from my cars I will use that for ...now.....then ( when I get it)

Needed to Complete​

• (1) ESC
  • (1) Motor
  • (1) Pinion
  • (1) Transmitter
  • (1) Receiver
  • (1) Steering Servo
  • (1) Battery
  • (1) Charger
Thanks in advance!
Welcome back! If you go with the tlr build You could get the first 6 things off Jenny’s and build it 4-6s capable, or go with a castle sensored system? I’m new to the hobby myself I’m sure others will have better solutions!

Earl Morehead on you tube just started building one. Going with 6s to start then 8s. And he went over the set up. He will be uploading more videos.

This is my next vehicle.
Leave it to Earl. A good guy.:)

Back to my dead old thread. I thought I the TLR would be my first purchase but I picked up a Felony, then found a deal on an spektrum 8s takeoff because the seller was going with XLX2 esc. I recently bought the Typhon TLR which is currently on the delivery truck.

Should I make the Felony an 8s and all the takeoff from the felony and put it on the TLR or vise versa?

I think an 8S TLR will be insane plus its way lighter than the Felony. I might go with the 8S Felony route and 6S TLR.

What do you guys think?

I'm not racing or anything, just a street basher for entertainment.

Back to my dead old thread. I thought I the TLR would be my first purchase but I picked up a Felony, then found a deal on an spektrum 8s takeoff because the seller was going with XLX2 esc. I recently bought the Typhon TLR which is currently on the delivery truck.

Should I make the Felony an 8s and all the takeoff from the felony and put it on the TLR or vise versa?

I think an 8S TLR will be insane plus its way lighter than the Felony. I might go with the 8S Felony route and 6S TLR.

What do you guys think?

This setup you mentioned is what I am doing....if I am not mistaken it is the EXACT same setup as the stock Typhon 6S v5

My TLRT Typhon is 4S only single battery, NO racing or track, bashing.

Spektrum Firma 150A ESC and the Spektrum 2050kv motor (should be same as Felony setup)
I will run an 18T pinion since I am doing 4S and add good fans on both the motor/ESC. I will change the 3 diffs fluids since this is too light for bashing...great for track IMO.

Yes, go for it. Really all the TLRT needs for a fun basher or track.

What do you guys think?

Funny enough I just tried my felony on 8s for the first-time last week and it was bonkers lol. I was scared to get on the throttle majority of the time though my poop roads definitely played a part in that. 6s is more than enough for the typhon too.

I finally removed all the Felony’s electronics and installed it into the Typhon.

Now I am wondering about my gearing. Since the motor comes stock with 16T pinion and Typhon has a stock 50T spur, am I going to run into any issues with these stock gearing?

I’ll be running a single 4S battery battery.

Here is a picture.

0ED452C2-62DE-4C4C-ADBB-9091A188821C.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back