Kraton Noob question: Should I get a second rtr for parts or get hopup parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton 4s
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Voltage
Hi

Just got my Arrma Kraton 4s. I added a few things so far:

• RPM A arms
  • TBone Racing front bumper
  • Flysky GT5 radio / transmitter
I was looking to get DBoots backflip tires. The only place I found them in stock was Ebay sellers who say in their description that they are parting out RTR kits. That got me doing some math. It may be more cost effective for me to buy an Outcast 4s as a parts car. Ordering the tires themselves is $70.

So the question to the veterans of this forum is this a good idea? Right now I am generally happy with the performance of the truck (famous last words). Besides the tires, I would be getting the spare car for “consumable“ parts that wear out such as motor, diffs, etc.

I’d suggest some pulled stock shocks and turnbuckles. Those are common parts that break or bend for me. Having them on hand has kept me going. You already have a good list of upgrades that should reduce your down time.

Unless you really want another rc I’d say keep running what you have. I’ve enjoyed the factory tires as well. Maybe keep the backflips as a back up. On the other side if you get the outcast just swap the tires between the 2 and you could run both.

Pick up some bearings as mine went bad and led to a stripped diff and input gear. Good to keep those on hand as well just in case.

I’d suggest some pulled stock shocks and turnbuckles. Those are common parts that break or bend for me. Having them on hand has kept me going. You already have a good list of upgrades that should reduce your down time.

Unless you really want another rc I’d say keep running what you have. I’ve enjoyed the factory tires as well. Maybe keep the backflips as a back up. On the other side if you get the outcast just swap the tires between the 2 and you could run both.

Pick up some bearings as mine went bad and led to a stripped diff and input gear. Good to keep those on hand as well just in case.
Thanks for the tips.
I forgot I bought some sealed bearings that I haven’t installed yet.

I've thought about doing that but with the prices from those chop shops, I'd rather just buy what I need. Odds are I'll break the same part a few times and need more than one of each. Could be worthwhile though, just depending on what breaks.

I am about to buy a new Granite 3S for parts, but I want to upgrade a Mega to brushless, so I need the 3S electronics, slipper, diffs, input gears, ... It adds up quickly and the value of the spare parts left from the upgrade somewhat makes sense from a financial standpoint. Also, I am based in Canada and buying from Jenny’s isn’t such a good deal due to the very high shipping fees.

I think it makes sense for me to do that, but I don’t think I would buy another 4S for parts if I already had one. If you have the $$$, I think it could make more sense for you to have two 4S cars running, with one that could donate parts if needed to reduce the downtime from breakage.

I think it could be worth it if you keep the parts you want/need and sell off the rest. People do this all the time. Not paying MSRP or hobby shop prices, shipping or taxes, will make it worth while. V3 6s Outcasts were on sale awhile back for $375 to $400 and at that price you could probably make a few bucks.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I’m gonna get the Outcast for the tires and spare parts.

Thanks so much for the heads up. I bought the one off the classifieds. My LHS said they are out of stock until March 2021.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back