Normal wear and tear of pinion gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trickelitrick

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
All my pinion gears, stock and robinson racing look like this after a few runs, they stay like this and nothing breaks but is this normal or is maybe my spur gear causing this?

Attachments

• 20170313_093554.jpg
    20170313_093554.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 443
  • 20170313_093616.jpg
    20170313_093616.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 353
I am using the stock pinion none of my gears look like that. I know you bash it, but that looks excessive. Maybe the mesh is too tight, or even worse, at a slight angle.

Yes, that's due to the tolerance between the gears being incorrect.
I have found that inserting a piece of paper between the two gears then adjusting has been the best way to find the correct tolerance. I check my tolerance after every run and have found no issues due to wear.
Hope this helps

Also give the gears a good clean after each run to remove any debris like sand, dirt and mud will also prolong the life of the gears.

You cant just make judgement on one specific situation, in this case based on your rc alone. There is another user on this forum and myself that both had premature failure of the pinion gear.

I submitted my claim through Hobbico and was sent another brand pinion gear because they are way back ordered on them, and thats for a reason.

I checked in between and after run plenty of times. Besides cleaning up, to make them last longer let them cool off, or help out by spraying every now and then a little wd40, or light silicone oil. Metal to metal gets extremely hot, and the hotter the weaker the teeth get. One cannot rule out a possible pebble, debris that allocated there and it takes seconds to shred through.

Srrange as it may seem if one really bashing, and not paying attention, it can go unnoticed missing 2 teeth, and before you know it they are all gone.

Hey guys, I'm completely new to Arrma and I am repeatedly throwing Pinion gears off my Kraton. I'm not even driving that hard so I am mistified. On my last arrma pinion gear replacement, I broke a tooth. Can yall weigh in on anything you can think of that may cause a pinion gear to slip off? Heres what I have done: I buy the pinion gear with the blue locktite on the screw, I screw it on to the beveled edge of the shaft and that's all I know. I don't' know if the top of the pinion gear should be flush with the top of the spur or the spur should be in the middle of the pinion. I also don't know how tight to make the mesh. I assume, the car should be able to coast freely....... Help

Hi Success lipo,
Do you have a pic of the failed pinion you can post?. I found after first run of Kraton after unboxing the pinion had excessive wear. I removed cleaned and inspected both gears. I use a pice of paper between the gears to set the tolerance, and have found this to work well for me. Since this time I have not experienced any further wear of the gears. I use the standard gearing ratios that were supplied. Other factors that can cause excessive wearing is excessive friction in the drive line, like seized and or broken components. Would be unlikely on a new vehicle though.
Hope this helps.

Hi Success lipo,
Do you have a pic of the failed pinion you can post?. I found after first run of Kraton after unboxing the pinion had excessive wear. I removed cleaned and inspected both gears. I use a pice of paper between the gears to set the tolerance, and have found this to work well for me. Since this time I have not experienced any further wear of the gears. I use the standard gearing ratios that were supplied. Other factors that can cause excessive wearing is excessive friction in the drive line, like seized and or broken components. Would be unlikely on a new vehicle though.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, that does help: I don't have any wear, however most recently one tooth sheared off. But normally the gear just breaks loose on the shaft. I tried the paper trick (if you will) but when I drove the car, it made a real skreeching sound, so I felt it was because the gear mesh was too tight. So I'm not sure... But ?What is the standard Pinion gear, 12T?

Hey guys, I'm completely new to Arrma and I am repeatedly throwing Pinion gears off my Kraton. I'm not even driving that hard so I am mistified. On my last arrma pinion gear replacement, I broke a tooth. Can yall weigh in on anything you can think of that may cause a pinion gear to slip off? Heres what I have done: I buy the pinion gear with the blue locktite on the screw, I screw it on to the beveled edge of the shaft and that's all I know. I don't' know if the top of the pinion gear should be flush with the top of the spur or the spur should be in the middle of the pinion. I also don't know how tight to make the mesh. I assume, the car should be able to coast freely....... Help

Which car do you have? Not that I have a different answer for each car, but I know my Kraton is loud as heck. Even when I just push it across the floor, with the power off. But I have never had a gear issue, and I am a terrible driver. By terrible I mean hard starts and hard stops, lots of jumps and even more crashes. And I drive on 6S most of the time. I think the paper trick is a good guide to use, when setting the mesh, but you still have to know what is too tight and what is not. Look up "Setting gear Meshh on an RC car" on youtube and watch some videos. My guess is that you find your solution. Also look up some videos of your car and see what other people's car sound like.

Which car do you have? Not that I have a different answer for each car, but I know my Kraton is loud as heck. Even when I just push it across the floor, with the power off. But I have never had a gear issue, and I am a terrible driver. By terrible I mean hard starts and hard stops, lots of jumps and even more crashes. And I drive on 6S most of the time. I think the paper trick is a good guide to use, when setting the mesh, but you still have to know what is too tight and what is not. Look up "Setting gear Meshh on an RC car" on youtube and watch some videos. My guess is that you find your solution. Also look up some videos of your car and see what other people's car sound like.

Thanks!

I rotate my gears a full 360 degrees and back with the paper between to get the mesh close, I keep slight pressure on the motor, once I'm happy I tighten the motor. I then spin the gears and check the play between the gears at every 90 degrees, if at one point it's tighter than the others I know somethings not quit square and start again. This works well for my Kraton and when running there is no audible noise from the gears as such. You are right when saying you can hear a high pitched noise that means the mesh is to tight. Also with the pinion gear coming loose on the shaft, you can remove the grub screw and inspect the thread, it may be stripped and in turn causing the pinion gear to work its way off the shaft.
Good luck, hope you have a win.

I had similar problems of the pinion gear "sliding out" under stress regardless if its tight or not.

Make a notch on the shaft exactly where the tightening nut rests on, just enough so it will not slide out. You should be able to see a footprint of the nut stamped on the motor shaft, just make enough, nothing too deep, so as to not affect the strength of the shaft.

Make sure you let the loctite dry for at least 16hours before you use it.
If you do this u shouldnt have any problems with your pinion coming loose.

Make sure you let the loctite dry for at least 16hours before you use it.
If you do this u shouldnt have any problems with your pinion coming loose.
Red locker holding for me,when I need locker to loosen,use hot Allen wrench method to remove. Bensz torch,spare Allen wrench,vise grips. While watching TV in living room. Piece of cake

All my pinion gears, stock and robinson racing look like this after a few runs, they stay like this and nothing breaks but is this normal or is maybe my spur gear causing this?

Which Robinson pinion gears do you have and where did you order yours from? Thanks.

You cant just make judgement on one specific situation, in this case based on your rc alone. There is another user on this forum and myself that both had premature failure of the pinion gear.

I submitted my claim through Hobbico and was sent another brand pinion gear because they are way back ordered on them, and thats for a reason.

I checked in between and after run plenty of times. Besides cleaning up, to make them last longer let them cool off, or help out by spraying every now and then a little wd40, or light silicone oil. Metal to metal gets extremely hot, and the hotter the weaker the teeth get. One cannot rule out a possible pebble, debris that allocated there and it takes seconds to shred through.

Srrange as it may seem if one really bashing, and not paying attention, it can go unnoticed missing 2 teeth, and before you know it they are all gone.
They should make a sealed case so you can grease the pinion and spur

My Robinson Racing pinion looks like that too. It was more than a few packs though, maybe a dozen packs or so.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back