Illinois Northern Illinois Meetup - Sunday April 14th 1pm @ Indian Lakes Open Space

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooKeeper

Quack!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Granite Mega
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
Welcome to the Northern Illinois R/C Meetup!

We meet on the second Sunday* of every month at 1 PM at Indian Lakes Open Space. Anyone is welcome to join with any make, model, or fuel type of vehicle. Spectators are welcome as well - encourage your non-R/C friends to come check it out so they can see the fun they are missing.

Indian Lakes was formerly a golf course that permanently closed at the end of the 2016 golf season. The golf course is now maintained by the Village of Bloomingdale as an open green space, using the old golf cart paths as hiking and biking trails. There are two large grassy areas right next to the parking area for off road bashing, along with a large open parking area for street bashing. The street bash area does have some rough spots, I recommended you increase the ride height of your on road vehicles. The layout for the meetup is below.

RC Meetup - Indian Lakes.png

Street Bash Loop Direction
All cars need to go the same direction to avoid head-on collisions. All drivers need to communicate the track direction. Drivers can choose to change the track direction during the course of the meetup. Please communicate with all other drivers in the Loop Driver Area before changing directions so that everyone is aware.

Swap Meet!
Bring anything you would like to sell or trade: parts, vehicles, tools, accessories, etc. Bring some cash to buy other people's stuff!

DO
Bring any make, model, or fuel type of ground based R/C vehicle.

DO
Bring your family and friends.

DON’T
Bring your pets. No matter how well trained they are, there is always a possibility they can do something unpredictable, which could cause themselves or someone else to get hurt.

DON’T
Drive your R/C vehicle in the parking area. You may drive it to your bashing area of choice once you have left the parking area.

Vehicle Damage:
All collisions between R/C vehicles are considered no fault accidents. Collisions are an inevitable part of the hobby. No one is held responsible should damage occur to your R/C vehicle. Drive your R/C vehicle at your own risk.

Telegram Group Chat:
1680634528859.png

*In the event of holiday conflict, we will meet on the first Sunday of the month.

Thread type
RC Track or Bash Spot
Type of Event
  1. Racing
  2. Bashing
Last edited:
Met up with @dure16 and @bigkid_rc at the Roselle Skate park today and had some fun.

@dure16 bashed all 4 cars he brought until they broke and went home with a trunk full of future repairs.

@bigkid_rc ran his trucks until his diffs started getting crunchy.

I brought my Typhon and "Grandma's Truck". I broke the rear passenger arm on my last battery after launching off the ramp and having a good landing. My 6 year old drove Grandma's truck until it hit LVC, but it has a smell of bad electronics now which I need to investigate.

Should be back up and running well before meetup time!

20230115_214844.jpg

Tore down the Typhon and gave it a quick bath in the utility sink.

20230116_002334.jpg

Pretty disappointed to find out all 4 of my wheels cracked at the hub. This was the second run on this set of tires.

20230116_002613.jpg
20230116_002550.jpg
20230116_002623.jpg
20230116_002707.jpg

I will get on my cars today after work, while rebuilding the all diffs in both cars.

Yeah I was breaking hexs with my mojave but I sucked it up and got the alum hex for the proline wheels. That's what the notorious will be getting!

I broke my Notorious
rear a arm
Bent pin
Turnbuckle end

Kraton
Bye bye front diff
Fixed standoff

All I know so far

received_722043372860891.jpeg

Pretty disappointed to find out all 4 of my wheels cracked at the hub. This was the second run on this set of tires.
Sucks about the wheels. Especially on new tires. I wonder if a set of racing discs would hold up better. I use the wheels linked below and they’ve survived big jumps just fine. Your badlands would fit perfectly.

Not sure how much experience you have with tire removal, but I’ve found that the oven method destroys the foams. The acetone method is slow but preserves everything.

DE Racing PSB8B SpeedLine Plus Buggy Wheel, Black https://a.co/d/iSIKeYk
Kraton
Bye bye front diff
Sounds like that Kraton diff issue has been a nightmare.

So what are yall thoughts about open vs lsd?

I ended up noticing that I got all open diff metal cases and after doing some research I found exb metal cases.

I get that lsd big befits are the strength from the ring and pioion that is used also the input cups are beefier. Is it worth it really to do that with 6s power If I do all metal open on all diffs? Part of me goes the main reason I would want lsd is in the middle for the strength?
Sucks about the wheels. Especially on new tires. I wonder if a set of racing discs would hold up better. I use the wheels linked below and they’ve survived big jumps just fine. Your badlands would fit perfectly.

Not sure how much experience you have with tire removal, but I’ve found that the oven method destroys the foams. The acetone method is slow but preserves everything.

DE Racing PSB8B SpeedLine Plus Buggy Wheel, Black https://a.co/d/iSIKeYk

Sounds like that Kraton diff issue has been a nightmare.
When you said that the shim sounds like it needed to be shimmed and I saw the shim had popped out I noticed that was my problem lol. But I'm doing all 3 diffs later today and the kraton should be good

Any thoughts on a mini competition at the next meet up? Maybe 3-4 events and point scoring.

Some example events off the top of my head:

Drag race (on or off road)
Cone oval race (on or off)
Cone track race (on or off)
Long jump (off)
Drift skills (on)
Something else?

Update on our meetup location! Due to the snowfall we've been receiving, I swung by the meetup location to see what the status was on Thursday. Looks like they plowed the strip of parking lot we use for drag racing, but nothing else. Of course, theres still plenty of time before the meetup is scheduled to occur and the snow may melt or they may plow the lot. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up so you could do any prep work you need for playing in the snow!

20230126_165817.jpg
20230126_165840.jpg

I just joined this forum and had no idea there were other people in my area (West Chicago suburbs) that were into RC cars. My brother and I have a ton of Arrma vehicles and will try to join. We do mostly bashing.
My favorite is my upgraded Talion. Other favorites are my 8s Outcast, and truggified Typhon.

I just joined this forum and had no idea there were other people in my area (West Chicago suburbs) that were into RC cars. My brother and I have a ton of Arrma vehicles and will try to join. We do mostly bashing.
My favorite is my upgraded Talion. Other favorites are my 8s Outcast, and truggified Typhon.
BRO! Come join us! You won't regret it!

I keep saying like every month "THIS is the month I finally make it out", then something comes up. For Feb my gf even took a note to try and get me out there with you all this time, and now it finally decides to snow 🤦. How much does a set of paddle tires cost? 🤣

I don't have any paddle tires myself since prior to the meetups, I wouldn't consider running in the snow much. I may need to get some on order, but I need to decide which car I'd want to run in the snow. I'm certainly not going to get a set of paddles for each car.

Does anyone else have any paddle tires to deal with the snow?

Maybe we should all pickup a single set for the meetup. Hear me out... What do you guys think about, as a group, we pick a class or scale of vehicle that puts everyone on a relatively close playing field and we all get a set of paddles to rip in the snow together?

I think the majority of vehicles that all "match" in our group are 1/8th scale. Almost everyone has either a Kraton or a Typhon.

Theres still some time left before the meetup to get an order in. What do you guys think? Any interest in having some snow races?

Lets just stay away from these kind of snow "tires":
1675146371394.png

It is Chicago weather, you just never know... Heck, back in 2017 we had a streak of 65+ for 5 days...

1675178303143.png

Last year was a roller coaster.

1675178567240.png

Its a crapshoot, we might have snow, we might not. Maybe we all get a set of paddles and if there's no snow for the upcoming meetup, we plan a beach day meetup during the summer. Illinois Beach State Park has a good stretch of beach we can race on along with the wooded areas we could go bashing through on a hiking trail.

Back