Not all liquid masks are created equal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly81

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 3s
I tried using a liquid mask on my latest body and didn’t have very good results, I kept pulling up when I was trying to cut it with the X-Acto knife. I couldn’t find anything about reviews of different brands or if they work different or anything so I just tried a different one. And it’s way better, at least currently during my application.
The pink is it bittydesigns and the blue is Vallejo that I had trouble with last time. Just at this stage when I’m applying it, you can see how the pink forms a perfect, complete smooth coat on this first coat. The blue is beating up like water leaving clear spots, and everything.
I’ll have to see how it cuts once it’s dry but it’s obviously very different. I won’t be using Vallejo again. Would be curious to hear about other brands people have used.
876D549D-9EB8-410F-BE04-DFD0A28C2FA2.jpeg

When it comes to liquid masks, most are designed for Air brushing. When using a hand brush, you need to add layers as needed after the prior coat has fully dried. I used liq. mask alot many years past. Not so much any more. Always etch the lexan with a scuff pad. The mask will level out better, better coating.

TL;DR Don't use Vallejo for RC cars or if you are cutting the masks. Probably fine otherwise. Bittydesigns much better for RC cars.

So I finished my test with 3 coats of each, drying between. And tried to cut a little angular pattern in each. Results speak for themselves. And I think I understand why the Vallejo doesn't have terrible reviews everywhere, and why it was all they sold at my LHS that specializes in models and train sets. As @SrC mentioned, people use this stuff for painting miniatures or other things. The videos I've seen are some amazing painters, but the difference is they typically aren't cutting the mask afterwards. Just using it to mask off areas from airbrush overspray. The Vallejo is very rubbery feeling and actually would work well for this - it covers well and comes off easily and cleanly (almost like sticker boogers). So it makes it easier than the bittydesigns would be to remove from tight crevices and stuff in miniature models etc.

The Bittydesigns is much thinner, and doesn't come off quite as easy (not bad though). I'd probably add thicker coats or up to 5 maybe... whereas 3 is plenty for the Vallejo.

But for RC cars, hands down - the Vallejo cuts terribly... doesn't adhere as well and a fresh X-acto blade 'pulls' at it and screws everything up. The bittydesigns works perfectly and was what I was expecting out of a liquid mask!

So pleased it wasn't just me doing something wrong! Here's a pic of a test small angular cutout in the two (blue=vallejo).

IMG_1391.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back