Not ARRMA, But My First Foray Into a Custom RC (Team Associated Rival MT-10)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolshevikjoe

Just an old nerd playing with expensive toy trucks
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Vendetta
New to all of this and having a fun time figuring out problems and engineering solutions. This was my first 'name brand' hobby grade truck and I got it back in February 2021. I have loved and abused this thing like crazy, but I hadn't done much to it aside from a set of RPM front arms once I snapped one within the first week of ownership and swapping out the servo from a budget AFG model.

Recently I got to looking at the old girl and was sad about the state of her and also wanted a little more top end speed while keeping the front wheels down a bit more. Thus far here's what I've done/added

- Swapped out the 3300kv 540 size Reedy motor and 60amp ESC for a BLX system from a Senton (thinking about getting a Hobbywing MAX10 SCT but not sure yet)
- Went from a 13t pinion to a Robinson Racing 18t
- Ditched the Method wheels and tires that ballooned like crazy for a set of PowerHobby Belted Defender 2.8 MT's (still on 12mm hexes as I'm unsure of a good 17mm adapter)
- Upgraded to steel driveshafts and outdrives
- Added cooling
- Spekrtrum radio and receiver
- Rebuilt all 3 differentials
- New bodyshell with custom paint and decals (they don't sell just a sheet for the MT-10 and the Rival MT10 logo doesn't match my livery so I had a pair of logos made custom)
- New 3.5mm sway bars front and rear
- Added extra cooling fans because 18t pinion

I feel like she's about complete at this point, BUT I want to upgrade to some aluminum shocks however I'm already like $500 into this thing and it's still a Rival MT10 at the end of the day, so another $100 for shocks kind of grinds my gears. Do you guys know of any worthy alternatives? Also, I'm a little worried about the extra rotating mass of these PowerHobby Defenders and I have a lighter set of Proline Badlands that are supposedly belted but sure don't feel like it. Would they be a better route? I've looked at the trenchers but they're just cartoonish looking on the truck.

IMG_20221108_092115416.jpg

IMG_20221108_092107992.jpg

received_895972358022597 (1).jpeg

Love the paint scheme! 😎
The belted badlands are a bit narrower (53mm vs 70mm) than the non belted so usually easy to tell which is which. Both very popular with bashers.
On the esc, the blx 100 is usually fine if you only want to run 3s 👍

Very cool. Surprised those defenders are even heavier than the ProLines. I’m not a trencher fan either, I much prefer the Badlands. Nice work!

Love the paint scheme! 😎
The belted badlands are a bit narrower (53mm vs 70mm) than the non belted so usually easy to tell which is which. Both very popular with bashers.
On the esc, the blx 100 is usually fine if you only want to run 3s 👍
Yeah, 3s is plenty for me on this one as it's been a challenge keeping all 4 wheels planted as it is. lol

Thats a good lookin truck! First I've seen with a non stock body (I haven't looked hard). If it were me I'd just spend the money on the shocks if you want em. I mean your already down the rabbit hole and you obviously love the rig. I have like 600 in a mini-b though so I may not be the one to listen to....

I have an mt10 and recently got a jconcepts body to hydrodip it ‘rainbow’ for my step daughter. I’ve had the truck nearly 2 years and have been impressed with its durability. Mines mostly stock and primarily a guest car or the kids car. I never really liked how it drove compared to my Arrmas but it’s a tough rc with a good stock suspension. So smooth that I’m not sure if upgrading the shocks would really increase performance. Yours looks very nice and I like the paint job!

Thats a good lookin truck! First I've seen with a non stock body (I haven't looked hard). If it were me I'd just spend the money on the shocks if you want em. I mean your already down the rabbit hole and you obviously love the rig. I have like 600 in a mini-b though so I may not be the one to listen to....
You're not wrong. At the price I'm already in for another $100 isn't really a big deal. lol

Bad lighting, but I finally got the custom version of the Rival MT10 logo in and on the rig
IMG_20221204_222455298.jpg
IMG_20221204_222509590.jpg

Also switched to badlands due to rounding off hexes with the heavier PowerHobby Defenders.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back