Vorteks Not what i was expecting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaner319

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So after years of wanting to get an rc I finally broke down and bought myself one. The Arrma Vorteks 4×4. After watching videos and seeing all the good things about it I knew it was a good starting point. Boy was I wrong... from the first time I ran it there has been nothing but problems. First it was wheels flying off (I know easy fix) then stripped spur gear (why is it plastic?) Then one of the cvd axles started popping out at the wheel. It wasn't long before it was throwing a couple at a time. Oh wait I forgot about the servo going out after 30 minutes of running. After having it a month I had spent twice as much time working on it or waiting on parts than I did running it. Well I finally decided just to replace all suspension and ordereded the upgraded Arrma cvd slipper axles thinking I was good to go. Well once again I was wrong. Powered it up and took off down the street only to hear a load grinding noise. Now I'm almost $900 into this thing and I get to replace the rear diff. Am I the only one that has had nothing but bad luck from the very start? Maybe it's me idk

Hiya. This may or may not be the case with you and I don’t wish to appear patronising but a
spur gear stripping often happens if you land from a jump on the throttle or brake. Or if you drive into something at speed and come to a sudden stop. If the spur didn’t strip it would send the shock through the diff and knacker that which it appears to have still done to a degree.
unlikely they’d strip for other reasons.
the axles popping off is a mystery to me. Can’t see how they can on that so that’s got me 🤔

Hiya. This may or may not be the case with you and I don’t wish to appear patronising but a
spur gear stripping often happens if you land from a jump on the throttle or brake. Or if you drive into something at speed and come to a sudden stop. If the spur didn’t strip it would send the shock through the diff and knacker that which it appears to have still done to a degree.
unlikely they’d strip for other reasons.
the axles popping off is a mystery to me. Can’t see how they can on that so that’s got me 🤔
No doubt my lack of knowledge and experience would contribute to the issues. But I have not jumped the truck but 2 or 3 times and not higher than 1.5 feet. Have I ran into a couple of things while learning how to drive it? Yes but I wouldn't even begin to compare the impact with those seen in videos.

A new truck has to be checked over OTB. Like razor said above, proper adjusted gear mesh will save your spur, proper adjusted slipper will save your axles, setting steering endpoints will save the servo. Too many people get these trucks and just run them as is OTB, then complain when stuff breaks. Spending a half hour setting up your rig can save you headaches down the line. I even seen You Tubers do unboxings and don't even go over the screws or even check wheel nuts.

Set your slipper correctly and your steering end points and that will avoid like 90% of your problems.
Thanks im slowly learning everything. After replacing the first servo I studied up on it and created up with the same answer. I thought I had the slipper set correctly but again I'm still figuring it all out. I appreciate the input

So after years of wanting to get an rc I finally broke down and bought myself one. The Arrma Vorteks 4×4. After watching videos and seeing all the good things about it I knew it was a good starting point. Boy was I wrong... from the first time I ran it there has been nothing but problems. First it was wheels flying off (I know easy fix) then stripped spur gear (why is it plastic?) Then one of the cvd axles started popping out at the wheel. It wasn't long before it was throwing a couple at a time. Oh wait I forgot about the servo going out after 30 minutes of running. After having it a month I had spent twice as much time working on it or waiting on parts than I did running it. Well I finally decided just to replace all suspension and ordereded the upgraded Arrma cvd slipper axles thinking I was good to go. Well once again I was wrong. Powered it up and took off down the street only to hear a load grinding noise. Now I'm almost $900 into this thing and I get to replace the rear diff. Am I the only one that has had nothing but bad luck from the very start? Maybe it's me idk
I also should ask for recommendations on diff upgrades since I'll be ordering them immediately. I read something about Kraton 6s gears? Will they work?

Adjust the slipper, set the mesh for the spur and shim the diffs. This is exactly why I encourage everybody to rebuild every RC they get to avoid these issues... period!

Welcome to the hobby though! The 3S cars are a good starting point. You'll learn from these experiences 👍

I would definitely take the time to check all the screws. I got into RC about 2 months ago and I know every part of the car except for the front and rear diff. You most definitely want to add loctite to the axles, wheel lock nuts, motor mount bolts(inside the case only, 2 screws) and the small grub screw that holds the pinion in place. After that, adjust your slipper clutch(tons of videos on YouTube) and your end points for the motor and steering. I popped my pinion loose the first day after 15 minutes because I forgot loctite on the grub screw and had the motor mount installed wrong.

Where did you buy it?
Tower hobby. They're sending replacement gears
I would definitely take the time to check all the screws. I got into RC about 2 months ago and I know every part of the car except for the front and rear diff. You most definitely want to add loctite to the axles, wheel lock nuts, motor mount bolts(inside the case only, 2 screws) and the small grub screw that holds the pinion in place. After that, adjust your slipper clutch(tons of videos on YouTube) and your end points for the motor and steering. I popped my pinion loose the first day after 15 minutes because I forgot loctite on the grub screw and had the motor mount installed wrong.
Yeah I've got pretty much all that figured out. I've only been in It since the first of May but I've had enough stuff break that I'm getting very familiar with everything about it and now I'm learning differentials. Lol. I appreciate the info

I don't think the Op was so unlucky, there has been a few video`s on YT showing a few fails on this model, as for comments saying how you should all but strip and rebuild what is sold as a RTR ready to run model........a bit "brand of putting" to say the least, yes a quick look around to see all is right, but not taking it apart to put it back together, if thats what is needed then it should be sold as a kit

How do you install the motor mount wrong? It only goes on one way.......

I don't think the Op was so unlucky, there has been a few video`s on YT showing a few fails on this model, as for comments saying how you should all but strip and rebuild what is sold as a RTR ready to run model........a bit "brand of putting" to say the least, yes a quick look around to see all is right, but not taking it apart to put it back together, if thats what is needed then it should be sold as a kit
Well that's pretty much what has to be done with this thing. And for a beginner in the field it's really to much. I can say I will agree with "should be sold as a kit". At least then you know what's been done.

You have a solid point but the simple fact so much is manufactured in China the QC is lacking so a once over before driving is a good thing. The Vorteks has issues that are common with the entire 3s line. Wheels coming loose, weak servos and motor bearings.

I destroyed a couple of non Arrmas learning to drive but now I'll fix whatever breaks or fails mechanically.

Thursday I must have spent 2 hours wrenching and 20 minutes driving. Yesterday I drove all day with no breakages or mechanical failures.

We bash, we wrench.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back