Notorious 6S BLX185 went ablaze on fire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SrC

RC is a lifestyle choice
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Outcast 6s
  8. Typhon TLR
Yep, I had a BLX 185 flamer using 6S yesterday. Less than a minute into my run, while adjusting my trims a bit, all hell broke loose. My rig was about 100 feet way and I saw flames through my cleared out windshield. I pulled the body and yanked the lipo main. The lipo was fine. but the ESC burned from below the Heatsink/fan. The collateral damage was substantial. Servos leads and Motor's endbell fried. And all related plastic nearby. I sent a support request with requested part #'s and my Invoice, purchased in Oct 2018, to Arma/ Horizon H. The body, I scrubbed for 10 minutes to get rid of the burnt smell, but to no avail. I wouldn't mind if the body was beat up, but it is rather pristine. I guess I drive somewhat decent. No cracks etc. I didn't want to ask for a new body . That would be taking advantage I guess. But my wife wants this rig outside in the shed. LOL. What a stinker it is. I just need the basic parts replaced if they oblige their warranty.
Let's see how it goes.
My 9 yo son was videoing, but he was scared and got ruff footage.

I've seen this before, but never thought it would happen to me .LOL
I was happy it wasn't a Lipo failure when I pulled the main.
I could only sit and watch a Lipo fire till it goes out on its own. The Lipo was fully charged at the time and that would have been real carnage.

Attachments

• BLX185 ESC fire 2.jpg
    BLX185 ESC fire 2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Notorious ESC Fire.jpg
    Notorious ESC Fire.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Notorious Fire Body.jpg
    Notorious Fire Body.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Notorious Fire1.jpg
    Notorious Fire1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 159
Sorry for your troubles. Hope horizon does right by you in timely fashion. its not a bad idea to have a pair of wire cutters in your back pocket or better yet something to cut battery straps too and separate your car from the battery if its not totally a flame...

when using any high powerd system i grab our fire extinguisher from our boat, have used it couple times on the typical Tekin systems going up in flames(not mine but other racers at the track, im not dumb enough to use tekin ESC's)
Its the best thing to use, with the bendy hose put under body and pull trigger, easier and much safer.

That is truly a huge bummer. Hope they cover for the necessary replacements, and happy that you weren't hurt, especially having to get in and disconnect the battery.

Horizon Hobby Tech called me several times after my email the very next day. They sent me a Fedex mailer and decided to take the Noto v3 back for an evaluation of the esc fire. The list of warranty parts I asked for was not practical, so they said they would replace it with a V4 Noto. They asked me to remove all added upgrade parts and return all the original stuff. Horizon was very good about things..thus far. But they were serious about wanting the Noto back. Took only 2 days for the process. The Noto V3 will get to Horizon in 2 days. They stated a 4 day turn around time once received.

That's great news, keep fingers crossed you'll get the V4 shortly

Had a conversation with Horizon Tech Dept. regarding my burned up V3 Noto they received Monday. Since there are issues with the non- adjustable V4 Servo savers on all the 6S series large wheel rigs they were able to completely rebuild the V3 Noto chassis with new parts including a new Blue Noto body. They went above and beyond, replacing parts that were worn like the wing mounts and rear control arm, so they stated. The tech said the Noto was driven and tested, etc.
I should get it back in a few days.
I had a simultaneous open ticket regarding my V4 Kraton with the new fixed hub servo saver flaw. I asked for the older V3 adjustable part to be sent instead, they were willing to, but they showed 60 on Backorder through June. With that info, I decided to have them repair my V3 Noto instead of getting a new V4 Noto. A no brainer. I think the V3's are better QC wise. I hear a lot of initial production issues with the V4 series. This V4 Kraton I received less than 2 weeks ago is very early production I am sure. Also, I noticed that the new V4 Kraton Copperhead 2 tires were horribly glued at the bead. Uneven and wobbly. I've glued wheels many times before. I think even a first timer mounting his tires could do a better job. I'm sure QC will improve in a few months. I managed to find and order a V3 adjustable Servo Saver Hub on my own.
I want to run this V4 Kraton already, but won't with barely any wheel travel. I cant be bothered dissecting the V4 Hub like @bicketybam did in his video. I learned much from his Hub video. He suggested to source a V3 adjustable Hub as the best fix. Check out his video. Nicely done!
Service and support at Horizon has been a positive experience. If you give them part numbers along with the issues, they tend to think out of the box and will work with you. They seemed to be very familiar with the Arma brand at present and their Surface Division support reflects that.
And I always mention ArmaForum.

I all good now.

Attachments

• 20190426_124213.jpg
    20190426_124213.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 59
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back