Notorious Notorious clicking under hard acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsantoli

Reaction score
I have a brand new notorious that clicks a lot under hard acceleration or hard braking. If I hold it in the air and hit the throttle I don’t get the click. I thought maybe it was the high speed pinion so I switched back to the regular pinion but I still get the click. Any ideas ?

Try turning the car upside down, turn one of the wheels in the front. The other should move and there should be no clunky or notchyness. If it spins nicely, try grabbing the spinning wheel and continue to spin the original wheel. This should move all your drivetrain. If there is nothing wrong here move to the rear and do the same thing.

sounds like to me one of your diffs has but the dust.

So I bought all new shims and hot racing diff cups. Added shims under the planetary gear, between the spider gears, behind the input gear, and also shimmed the whole diff to make it mesh better against the input gear. I rebuilt all three diffs, put in fresh batteries, and still have the same clicking sound on acceleration and braking. I emailed Arrma, waiting to hear their reply. So aggravating that I need to strip down a brand new truck

I tried getting a video of it but it’s tough to hear with the motor sound in the iPhone video

The truck is brand new. It’s done it since I put the first battery in it. It didn’t notice any bad bearings when I topknot part and the diff housings are all replaced with aluminum hot racing ones

Check the ring gear mesh man. If it's 2 wide you'll get that clacking I did I ruined my ring because the gear mesh was just too wide and I got the same clacking until it strip the gears. I ended up using shims and new gears resolve

Just be aware that the drive train in those vehicles have a little clicking which is normal. However, if what you are experiencing is excessive could you please take a video of this so we can send this to product development. Thank you for your recent contact with Horizon Hobby.
This was the reply from Horizon. I need to get a video because I have a bunch of other Arrma 6s RC’s and none of them do this

When using HR diff housings, make triple sure that the diff cover is actually fully seated. They are extreme tight fit and more likely than not it's not containing your bearings correctly. Picture of area just above the diff cup (all 4) should tell the story.
Had this happen before, the bearing will have movement and cause the input gear to slip.

Arrma asked for videos and agreed there is an issue. They’re sending me a new center diff

Mine either but the Arrma rep thinks that’s what it is since I get clicking in forward reverse and during braking

Almost guaranteed it's not the center, my money is the front diff but I haven't seen a video.
Audio would tell the difference. An ugly and noisy clack clack is the front or rear, never heard gears slip in the center but due to size of teeth would be less audible.
If it's only during acceleration it would be the rear, in both directions it's the front.

It’s tough to hear in th video because it’s only under hard acceleration and reverse so the motor noise is loud in the video

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back