Notorious Notorious - ESC burned out 3 receivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcastro

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
My original Tactic receiver all of a sudden didn't work after setting servo end points.
When switching on ESC blinks one green LED and then steady fast red blinks. - No connection to receiver/controller.

Checked original tactic receiver no LED light ever turns on and it smells like something got shorted out & got warm.
Tried 1st known working universal receiver, same thing receiver got warm/hot and smelled like something got burned.
Tried 2nd known working universal receiver, worked for a few seconds (LED light on and got steering/throttle) Reconnected next time and it did the same thing.

I'm leaning on ESC sending out too much voltage & burning up my receivers.
Anyone ever have these issues?
Any way to check voltage to make sure proper volt is being sent?

I just bought last month new from original owner but don't have original proof of purchase/receipt.

Can this be covered under warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Arrma/Horizon from my understanding only provide warranty to the original purchaser of the vehicle. But I agree with JvG it appears to be a BEC issue for sure. Easiest way to check that it is not outputting too much voltage is to connect a volt meter to the red and black lead in the receiver connector without it connected to a receiver.

My original Tactic receiver all of a sudden didn't work after setting servo end points.
When switching on ESC blinks one green LED and then steady fast red blinks. - No connection to receiver/controller.

Checked original tactic receiver no LED light ever turns on and it smells like something got shorted out & got warm.
Tried 1st known working universal receiver, same thing receiver got warm/hot and smelled like something got burned.
Tried 2nd known working universal receiver, worked for a few seconds (LED light on and got steering/throttle) Reconnected next time and it did the same thing.

I'm leaning on ESC sending out too much voltage & burning up my receivers.
Anyone ever have these issues?
Any way to check voltage to make sure proper volt is being sent?

I just bought last month new from original owner but don't have original proof of purchase/receipt.

Can this be covered under warranty?

Thanks in advance!

My vote is for the servo or it's harness.

It's not the original servo. I've been using this one:
servo

Come to think about it I was setting end points and did it like 3-4 times before this happened.
In addition, when I tried the 3rd receiver I only plugged in ESC cable to receiver not servo and it worked. Then I plugged in servo and it worked but only tested for a few seconds. When I plugged everything back in a few hours later got the burned smell and nothing worked.

I'll check the output to make sure it's 6v. (All cables look clean with no shorts)

If BEC is putting out proper 6v, I'll try my original servo and see if this solves it.

If BEC is damaged is there a way to add another BEC? Instead of replacing the whole ESC?

It's not the original servo. I've been using this one:
servo

Come to think about it I was setting end points and did it like 3-4 times before this happened.
In addition, when I tried the 3rd receiver I only plugged in ESC cable to receiver not servo and it worked. Then I plugged in servo and it worked but only tested for a few seconds. When I plugged everything back in a few hours later got the burned smell and nothing worked.

I'll check the output to make sure it's 6v. (All cables look clean with no shorts)

If BEC is putting out proper 6v, I'll try my original servo and see if this solves it.

If BEC is damaged is there a way to add another BEC? Instead of replacing the whole ESC?

If you have the stock servo, definitely try using that to see if it works. That’s would narrow down the cause of the issue. As far as the BEC, you could always add an external BEC which would allow you to run a higher voltage to the servo. There is a huge difference between my Savox @ 6v vs. 7.4v.

Cool. Thanks.
What kind or brand of external BECs will work? How much do they usually cost?

You can get the Castle one for like $20 it's not waterproof though they do make one that is but it costs more obviously.

Thanks.

Just tested ESC voltage to receiver and it tests out at 6volts. So it looks like internal BEC is functioning properly.

After looking at servo wires it looks like there is small damage on the brown/ground wire where wires are exposed. This is most likely the issue, will repair or use original servo to do further testing when my receiver arrives.

I'll post back my findings.

Got 2 more receivers and did more testing after repairing stripped wires from aftermarket servo.
Still having same issues and ruined another receiver.

Tried with original servo and did the same thing.

Looked into ESC and took fan off and noticed fan wires was disconnected and working.
I'm guessing it could be this or in addition to the ESC just done working properly.

Anyone have issues with ESC burning out receivers?
I've gone through 5 now.

Got 2 more receivers and did more testing after repairing stripped wires from aftermarket servo.
Still having same issues and ruined another receiver.

Tried with original servo and did the same thing.

Looked into ESC and took fan off and noticed fan wires was disconnected and working.
I'm guessing it could be this or in addition to the ESC just done working properly.

Anyone have issues with ESC burning out receivers?
I've gone through 5 now.
Hello jrcastro,

i am having these same problems.

Servo burned
Receiver smells burned, not working anymore
Also took the fan off, saw that the wires were disconnected.

Did you found out what the problem was?

greets

I also recently recieved a warranty replacement blx 185 150amp esc and before installing the esc into any rc, I hooked up all electronics. Motor and esc were brand new(stock 2050kv that comes in the older arrma 6s lineup) and a new stock servo(15kg). At first I got the tactic reciever led to light up but couldn't bind, tried another tactic receiver and recieved no led light or ability to bind and after a last attempt (not my most intelligent) attempted to use the Spektrum 6 channel receiver out my v2 infraction... all recievers now do not function at all. Tried/tested all recievers in a working setup and all do not light up or function although I did not get any heat fire or smoke/smell of burnt electronics throughout any of the failed attempts to hook up any/all recievers and the esc just lights up one time(green) and repeats a blinking light(red) until powered down. Seems calling support wasn't much help and told me to send all components in which I've yet to do(even though I've accumulated a few esc/motors etc over the last few years in which I've never asked to have replaced). Anyone ever figure out what might be the cause of the continuous damage to any recievers connected by chance? Also does anyone recommend a specific currier for sending in components for warranty claim? I currently reside jn NJ and want to be sure I'm not missing 8nstructions on how to mail parts in for warranty replacement etc etc as I didn't see any one specific currier mentioned during the online claims process? Any tips or info that applies to the original issue of continuous receivers going bad, cause 9f brand new blx 150A esc to be bad out of the box and or best way to ship warranty claimed items to Horizon would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that may be of assistance with this issue similar to the O.P.'s post.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back