Notorious Notorious First Drive Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevin7

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I drove my new Notorious for the first time last night. My previous driving experience includes: 4x4 Arrma Senton (brushed version), E-revo 2.0, Stampede 4x4 VXL, Rustler VXL, Slash 4x4 VXL monster truck with Castle MMX and 1512 motor (and every other upgrade you can think of). I used a single 6 cell SMC battery with a 100 watt hour capacity. The total run time was far shorter (~12 minutes) than my uber slash (~20 minutes) using a single 4 cell gensacearespammers with a 108 watt hour capacity (the uber slash weighs 9 lbs fully loaded vs ~12 lbs fully loaded for the notorious). I was driving on short grass and gravel and did a few speed runs in a large open parking lot but was trying to avoid running on pavement to prevent tire wear. After the run I measured my motor at 170 degrees with a temp gun. I will be installing the yeah racing dual heatsink fan as this temperature is dangerously close to causing damage. The stock center diff fluid (100k) is far too light, no matter what terrain I drove on a huge amount of power was lost to the front wheels. I was not impressed by the top speed or acceleration because I'm used to my uber slash and its significantly faster. To be fair I bought most of the uber slash used, but if I had paid for it new including all the parts it would cost about $1,200 and the notorious is $500. The main reason I bought the notorious is because my uber slash monster truck has some breakage issues with the type of off road driving and jumping that I do (even the most expensive upgraded parts still break) and I was hoping that the notorious would be faster in grass because of the larger tires (compared to 2.8" badlands MX28 on my slash) and higher ground clearance (my slash uses a LCG chassis). The notorious was not any faster than the uber slash in grass and it accelerated much slower likely due to the power loss to the font wheels. I'm going to put 500k or 1 million weight diff fluid in the center diff ASAP and I hope that will resolve the problem but I'm pretty certain it will harm durability because having a tighter center diff will make it harder to transfer power to the opposite end of the car making drive line components more likely to break (the notorious doesn't have a slipper clutch to absorb impacts, which is both good and bad as slippers can be very irritating). Another thing I didn't like about my uber slash is it traction rolls pretty easily even on grass because I had to make the springs very stiff to give it the needed ground clearance (due to small tires and LCG chassis) for where I drive. The notorious has more ground clearance than the uber slash with its default configuration that includes a little bit of static sag due to the spring preload adjustment (which is a good thing). The notorious is 4 inches wider than my uber slash (my slash is much wider than a normal one) which made it incredibly stable and it never traction rolled even when I pushed it super hard to see if it would. I'm very pleased with the handling of the truck. The stock tires on the Notorious are excellent, I don't think there are any aftermarket tires that I would like better. The backflip tires not only have great traction (just like the badlands), but they are better than any offroad tires from Proline that I'm aware of (I've used trenchers, badlands, and badlands MX) because they are ribbed on the inside to prevent massive ballooning, any Proline tires are going to balloon like crazy at speeds in excess of 30 MPH. I don't like installing my own tires or taping to prevent ballooning and taping can often result in the tape coming undone. The only downside of the stock tires is I'm pretty sure they will wear very quickly on the road, I wish they were a copy of the proline badlands MX series (MX38 in this case) as they offer the same traction with far better tread wear. The power delivery on the notorious was not nearly as smooth as my uber slash and the way that reverse worked was terrible (large delay before hitting reverse then it was way to fast and sensitive), but I'm comparing a $500 truck with stock components to a top of the line sensored castle system ($250 just for the motor and ESC) that was programmed to work exactly how I want (including 30% reverse speed). I'm considering swapping out the stock receiver and remote with the Traxxas TSM receiver and remote to let me use the Traxxas self righting feature (It can be used with any motor and ESC), my main concern about this is the Traxxas receiver uses a large antenna and I'm not sure if it will fit in the notorious receiver box, but I think I will give it a try soon. I jumped the notorious about 20 times, the largest jumps resulted in about 15 feet of flying forward and about 5 feet of ground clearance. I did a few back flips and had a few bad landings. The notorious responded much slower to wheel spin than my slash when in the air (meaning it was harder to make it rotate forwards or backwards by spinning the tires); I think this is because the notorious tires are much lighter relative to the overall vehicle weight compared to the uber slash. The notorious was very stable in the air and felt very balanced, much more so than the uber slash. I had a few landings that would have broke something on most stock vehicles, especially all of the Traxxas ones I've drove (including the E-revo 2.0).

For $500 the notorious is awesome. The included center diff fluid is a major disappointment, I'm not sure why Arrma thinks its acceptable other than they might be doing it for durability purposes (because a tighter diff likely means more drive train failures). The instruction manual is complete garbage compared to Traxxas manuals. The $450-$500 Arrma 8th scale cars offer massively more bang for your buck than the $400 Traxxas 4x4 brushless 10th scale cars and currently I think they are better than the $550 E-revo 2.0 because it has a lot of issues (my friend has one and I've used it and seen all the problems he has had). The E-revo 2.0 has more advanced electronics (and more problematic), a much better center diff out the box (they call it a torque-biasing center drive), a "cush drive" (advanced slipper clutch that works really well), and a very strong wing and wing mount (I hear the wing mount sucks on the notorious). However, the E-revo 2.0 stock tires tend to shred very easily (other than shredding they are good, but what good are shredded tires), the ESC has critical problems for a lot of people (my friend has to get his replaced after the 2nd drive), the rod ends constantly fail, the drive shafts constantly pop out, the body pops off sometimes, the center drive shaft is plastic, the chassis is plastic (and higher center of gravity which results in worse handling), it uses 2 garbage servos (silly design by Traxxas), it requires 2 batteries of a very specific size (compared to extremely versatile Arrma battery tray). The e-revo 2.0 is also the only Traxxas 8th scale offering (and they moronically still call it a 10th scale car... there is the UDR but its kind of in a different class and the Summit is a brushed crawler). Arrma offers a bunch of different 8th scale offerings (with the Kraton being most like the e-revo), which is another reason why I went with Arrma - because I wanted the short wheelbase and Traxxas doesn't even offer that (they retired the E-Maxx, I bet it will be replaced soon, the old one is terrible by 2018 standards).

I already ordered t-bone front and rear bumpers. I plan on removing the stock wing and wheelie bar and cutting the wing mount to let me utilize a normal 8th scale body because I hate the look of the stock body. I thought maybe I would like it more in person as I had never seen it in person (I saw the outcast in person and I really hate it), but I was wrong, I will get a new body soon. I'm not a fan of old cars or trucks, I like modern so I'm going to get a modern truck body or a Jeep body.

Also, here is a picture of the uber slash I was referring to above:

uber slash.jpg

Do 4wd trucks with a center diff ever have a slipper clutch? Unless the center is completely locked the center diff acts like a slipper.

I've never heard of an Outcast/Notorious being hard to rotate in the air. It's what they are made to do. It's a stunt truck. I have no problems rotating my Typhon with 2.8 tires, so I can't see how you would have issues with a Notorious and larger tires. I've seen @olds97_lss rotate his Outcast on 4s with ease. That's a headscratcher for sure.

The E-revo 2.0 has a "cush drive" which is a slipper. I don't have a problem rotating my notorious, it just doesn't rotate as easily as my uber slash (which has an absurd power to weight ratio).

The E-revo 2.0 has a "cush drive" which is a slipper. I don't have a problem rotating my notorious, it just doesn't rotate as easily as my uber slash (which has an absurd power to weight ratio).

Oh. Ok. Well I can't rotate my Senton Mega 4x4 as well as my Kraton.

Is the cush drive in lieu of a center diff?

The E-revo 2.0 has the cush drive (fancy slipper clutch) and a center diff (which traxxas calls a "torque-biasing center drive" )

I just drove my Notorious on the street for about 10 minutes including some hard turns. The handling was excellent and the truck never came close to traction rolling. The LCG chassis on this thing really works wonders for handling. The E-revo 2.0 and a LCG Slash 4x4 with 2.8" Badlands MX28 both traction roll much easier than the Notorious. I want to drive it on the street more because its so much fun but I don't want to destroy the tires (I really like the back flip tires.... but kind of hate how the wheels look).

No its all stock. I don't plan on using the high speed pinion because I'm certain that would cause heat issues with the way I drive. My motor was at 170* with the stock pinion. I've since installed a heat sink and fan but I still don't want to use the highs speed pinion. I've seen people do speed tests and the car goes 45-50 MPH with the stock pinion and ~60 MPH with the high speed one.

Get a fan. You'll be fine :)

I run the speed pinion in my Kraton on 6s. Does the motor get a little toasty? Yeah. But I have a spare and it's lasted almost 4 months with me driving it 4 to 5 days a week.

Anywho, that's why it wasn't as fast in the grass as your Slush. Throw that other pinion on and watch it haul ass.

The e-revo isn't really a slipper though. It's a cushioned spur/drive mechanism to absorb the jolts of landing. There are lugs that key into a plate, the lugs have rubber perimeter , so the rubber squishes on impact. I think the HPI 5B had something similar.

You can see it on here:
https://traxxas.com/sites/default/f...iews_180320_86086-4 Transmission Assembly.jpg

A bit of a busy design, but if it works, it works.

I never ran the stock tires on my outcast, so not sure how easy/hard it is to flip. I run 4S on mine and I'm currently running traxxas e-maxx tires/wheels which are smaller and lighter than the stock ones. I'm able to flip pretty easily with 16/50 gearing. I was running 14/50... it wasn't so easy then. I started with pro-line trencher 3.8's, but they seemed to cause heat issues if I ran in grass for very long. So, I went with something lighter that still had a decent contact patch since I run in concrete skate parks a lot.

I drove my new Notorious for the first time last night. My previous driving experience includes: 4x4 Arrma Senton (brushed version), E-revo 2.0, Stampede 4x4 VXL, Rustler VXL, Slash 4x4 VXL monster truck with Castle MMX and 1512 motor (and every other upgrade you can think of). I used a single 6 cell SMC battery with a 100 watt hour capacity. The total run time was far shorter (~12 minutes) than my uber slash (~20 minutes) using a single 4 cell gensacearespammers with a 108 watt hour capacity (the uber slash weighs 9 lbs fully loaded vs ~12 lbs fully loaded for the notorious). I was driving on short grass and gravel and did a few speed runs in a large open parking lot but was trying to avoid running on pavement to prevent tire wear. After the run I measured my motor at 170 degrees with a temp gun. I will be installing the yeah racing dual heatsink fan as this temperature is dangerously close to causing damage. The stock center diff fluid (100k) is far too light, no matter what terrain I drove on a huge amount of power was lost to the front wheels. I was not impressed by the top speed or acceleration because I'm used to my uber slash and its significantly faster. To be fair I bought most of the uber slash used, but if I had paid for it new including all the parts it would cost about $1,200 and the notorious is $500. The main reason I bought the notorious is because my uber slash monster truck has some breakage issues with the type of off road driving and jumping that I do (even the most expensive upgraded parts still break) and I was hoping that the notorious would be faster in grass because of the larger tires (compared to 2.8" badlands MX28 on my slash) and higher ground clearance (my slash uses a LCG chassis). The notorious was not any faster than the uber slash in grass and it accelerated much slower likely due to the power loss to the font wheels. I'm going to put 500k or 1 million weight diff fluid in the center diff ASAP and I hope that will resolve the problem but I'm pretty certain it will harm durability because having a tighter center diff will make it harder to transfer power to the opposite end of the car making drive line components more likely to break (the notorious doesn't have a slipper clutch to absorb impacts, which is both good and bad as slippers can be very irritating). Another thing I didn't like about my uber slash is it traction rolls pretty easily even on grass because I had to make the springs very stiff to give it the needed ground clearance (due to small tires and LCG chassis) for where I drive. The notorious has more ground clearance than the uber slash with its default configuration that includes a little bit of static sag due to the spring preload adjustment (which is a good thing). The notorious is 4 inches wider than my uber slash (my slash is much wider than a normal one) which made it incredibly stable and it never traction rolled even when I pushed it super hard to see if it would. I'm very pleased with the handling of the truck. The stock tires on the Notorious are excellent, I don't think there are any aftermarket tires that I would like better. The backflip tires not only have great traction (just like the badlands), but they are better than any offroad tires from Proline that I'm aware of (I've used trenchers, badlands, and badlands MX) because they are ribbed on the inside to prevent massive ballooning, any Proline tires are going to balloon like crazy at speeds in excess of 30 MPH. I don't like installing my own tires or taping to prevent ballooning and taping can often result in the tape coming undone. The only downside of the stock tires is I'm pretty sure they will wear very quickly on the road, I wish they were a copy of the proline badlands MX series (MX38 in this case) as they offer the same traction with far better tread wear. The power delivery on the notorious was not nearly as smooth as my uber slash and the way that reverse worked was terrible (large delay before hitting reverse then it was way to fast and sensitive), but I'm comparing a $500 truck with stock components to a top of the line sensored castle system ($250 just for the motor and ESC) that was programmed to work exactly how I want (including 30% reverse speed). I'm considering swapping out the stock receiver and remote with the Traxxas TSM receiver and remote to let me use the Traxxas self righting feature (It can be used with any motor and ESC), my main concern about this is the Traxxas receiver uses a large antenna and I'm not sure if it will fit in the notorious receiver box, but I think I will give it a try soon. I jumped the notorious about 20 times, the largest jumps resulted in about 15 feet of flying forward and about 5 feet of ground clearance. I did a few back flips and had a few bad landings. The notorious responded much slower to wheel spin than my slash when in the air (meaning it was harder to make it rotate forwards or backwards by spinning the tires); I think this is because the notorious tires are much lighter relative to the overall vehicle weight compared to the uber slash. The notorious was very stable in the air and felt very balanced, much more so than the uber slash. I had a few landings that would have broke something on most stock vehicles, especially all of the Traxxas ones I've drove (including the E-revo 2.0).

For $500 the notorious is awesome. The included center diff fluid is a major disappointment, I'm not sure why Arrma thinks its acceptable other than they might be doing it for durability purposes (because a tighter diff likely means more drive train failures). The instruction manual is complete garbage compared to Traxxas manuals. The $450-$500 Arrma 8th scale cars offer massively more bang for your buck than the $400 Traxxas 4x4 brushless 10th scale cars and currently I think they are better than the $550 E-revo 2.0 because it has a lot of issues (my friend has one and I've used it and seen all the problems he has had). The E-revo 2.0 has more advanced electronics (and more problematic), a much better center diff out the box (they call it a torque-biasing center drive), a "cush drive" (advanced slipper clutch that works really well), and a very strong wing and wing mount (I hear the wing mount sucks on the notorious). However, the E-revo 2.0 stock tires tend to shred very easily (other than shredding they are good, but what good are shredded tires), the ESC has critical problems for a lot of people (my friend has to get his replaced after the 2nd drive), the rod ends constantly fail, the drive shafts constantly pop out, the body pops off sometimes, the center drive shaft is plastic, the chassis is plastic (and higher center of gravity which results in worse handling), it uses 2 garbage servos (silly design by Traxxas), it requires 2 batteries of a very specific size (compared to extremely versatile Arrma battery tray). The e-revo 2.0 is also the only Traxxas 8th scale offering (and they moronically still call it a 10th scale car... there is the UDR but its kind of in a different class and the Summit is a brushed crawler). Arrma offers a bunch of different 8th scale offerings (with the Kraton being most like the e-revo), which is another reason why I went with Arrma - because I wanted the short wheelbase and Traxxas doesn't even offer that (they retired the E-Maxx, I bet it will be replaced soon, the old one is terrible by 2018 standards).

I already ordered t-bone front and rear bumpers. I plan on removing the stock wing and wheelie bar and cutting the wing mount to let me utilize a normal 8th scale body because I hate the look of the stock body. I thought maybe I would like it more in person as I had never seen it in person (I saw the outcast in person and I really hate it), but I was wrong, I will get a new body soon. I'm not a fan of old cars or trucks, I like modern so I'm going to get a modern truck body or a Jeep body.

Also, here is a picture of the uber slash I was referring to above:

View attachment 22619
The Slash and Outcast are drastically different vehicles with completely different driving experiences. It's really a crap shoot on out of the box impressions. The stock pinion is usually junk and the diffs may or may not be properly filled. Once you dial it in yourself, the Outcast is quite a Monster ?.

I've drove my Notorious for a few hours total now. Each run has been 15-20 minutes of hard driving in the grass draining a full 100Wh 6s SMC battery with everything stock. A few things I've noticed:
  1. The entire drive train gets hot after a full run. The center diff was 185F! All of the drive shafts were hot and the chassis was even 130F on the bottom. The super hot center diff is likely a bad thing. I just received 500K diff fluid which I'm going to put in the center diff soon (I think this may lower diff temp). The hot chassis is likely a good thing as it means the metal motor mount is making the entire chassis act like a giant heatsink for the motor.
  2. I put the yeah racing heatsink and fans on (only 1 of the 2 fans right now, have not had time to solder in both yet). My motor temps dropped from 175F to 150F after a full run.
  3. I think I have figured out the reason why the Notorious rotates much slower in the air than my Slash: its geared to go slower. The Notorious is currently geared for a top speed of ~51 MPH. My Slash is currently geared for a top speed of ~50 MPH, but the calculations do not account for tire ballooning, and the Notorious tires hardly balloon at all while the Slash tires (Badlands MX28) nearly double in size at top speed (I can never reach top speed because it is so unstable driving on pizza cutters), which puts the theoretical top speed closer to ~80 MPH. The Notorious also feels a lot slower than the Slash, but part of this may be because the Notorious is very stable at high speeds which makes it "feel slow" where as the Slash is scary unstable at high speeds (makes it feel fast). I ordered a pinion set for the Notorious and I'm going to try out 13T and 14T pinions to get some more speed. I'm hoping I can use a 14T pinion with my normal crazy driving without the motor exceeding ~170F with the heatsink and fans I've added.
  4. I really hate how the reverse functionality works with the stock setup. There is a very small range for reverse and once you get into reverse it goes stupid fast. I'm not sure if I have something configured wrong on the remote.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Notorious. Its proven to be incredibly durable and its an amazing deal for $500. I was considering getting a Tekno MT410 before buying the Notorious but it would cost at least twice as much once I bought all the parts that it doesn't come with and there are some things about its design that are flat out worse than than the Notorious such as the battery tray and the low side/front walls (I hate getting a bunch of debris in my chassis). My uber Slash is still faster than the Notorious and the Castle sensored system provides massively smoother throttle control, but I enjoy driving the Notorious over the Slash on every type of terrain. I might have to upgrade my Notorious to use a Castle 1515 and MMX.

I really hate the look of the stock body, so I bought a Jeep body along with TBR front and rear bumpers. The Jeep is in progress:

jeep progress.jpg

I really hate how the reverse functionality works with the stock setup. There is a very small range for reverse and once you get into reverse it goes stupid fast. I'm not sure if I have something configured wrong on the remote.

That doesn't sound right at all. Reverse should be half the speed of forward..

I've drove my Notorious for a few hours total now. Each run has been 15-20 minutes of hard driving in the grass draining a full 100Wh 6s SMC battery with everything stock. A few things I've noticed:
  1. The entire drive train gets hot after a full run. The center diff was 185F! All of the drive shafts were hot and the chassis was even 130F on the bottom. The super hot center diff is likely a bad thing. I just received 500K diff fluid which I'm going to put in the center diff soon (I think this may lower diff temp). The hot chassis is likely a good thing as it means the metal motor mount is making the entire chassis act like a giant heatsink for the motor.
  2. I put the yeah racing heatsink and fans on (only 1 of the 2 fans right now, have not had time to solder in both yet). My motor temps dropped from 175F to 150F after a full run.
  3. I think I have figured out the reason why the Notorious rotates much slower in the air than my Slash: its geared to go slower. The Notorious is currently geared for a top speed of ~51 MPH. My Slash is currently geared for a top speed of ~50 MPH, but the calculations do not account for tire ballooning, and the Notorious tires hardly balloon at all while the Slash tires (Badlands MX28) nearly double in size at top speed (I can never reach top speed because it is so unstable driving on pizza cutters), which puts the theoretical top speed closer to ~80 MPH. The Notorious also feels a lot slower than the Slash, but part of this may be because the Notorious is very stable at high speeds which makes it "feel slow" where as the Slash is scary unstable at high speeds (makes it feel fast). I ordered a pinion set for the Notorious and I'm going to try out 13T and 14T pinions to get some more speed. I'm hoping I can use a 14T pinion with my normal crazy driving without the motor exceeding ~170F with the heatsink and fans I've added.
  4. I really hate how the reverse functionality works with the stock setup. There is a very small range for reverse and once you get into reverse it goes stupid fast. I'm not sure if I have something configured wrong on the remote.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Notorious. Its proven to be incredibly durable and its an amazing deal for $500. I was considering getting a Tekno MT410 before buying the Notorious but it would cost at least twice as much once I bought all the parts that it doesn't come with and there are some things about its design that are flat out worse than than the Notorious such as the battery tray and the low side/front walls (I hate getting a bunch of debris in my chassis). My uber Slash is still faster than the Notorious and the Castle sensored system provides massively smoother throttle control, but I enjoy driving the Notorious over the Slash on every type of terrain. I might have to upgrade my Notorious to use a Castle 1515 and MMX.

I really hate the look of the stock body, so I bought a Jeep body along with TBR front and rear bumpers. The Jeep is in progress:

View attachment 22689
I’
agreed

View attachment 22689
I’ll take that body off your hands :):):)

When I first got my kraton I thought this was a problem. In reverse its super jumpy. The top end speed is low, but to engage the reverse its seems super fast at first. I set up the throttle end points and pretty much just learned to control the throttle.

@sevin7 Are you using the stock radio? Did you calibrate the ESC?
Everything is stock except a added heatsink. I did not calibrate the ESC, by that are referring to adjusting its programming settings? That is something I haven't got to yet and I'm not looking forward to because of the cryptic interface (I'm used to programming the ESC with Castle Link).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back