Notorious Notorious First Drive Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bicketybam thanks. If you put the push the throttle forward for the fail safe configuration, is that going to make the car stop and then go into reverse if it looses signal, or just stop?

@bicketybam thanks. If you put the push the throttle forward for the fail safe configuration, is that going to make the car stop and then go into reverse if it looses signal, or just stop?

Just stop.

Unless you are already stopped and lose signal, then it will reverse. Neutral is the best failsafe set up for an electric with reverse active.

Unless you are already stopped and lose signal, then it will reverse. Neutral is the best failsafe set up for an electric with reverse active.

I've never had mine take off in reverse when I've accidentally shut the tx off first.

The outcast/notorious will do a rolling back flip just from hitting the throttle. WTH, how is that not fast enough, you want it to do a double rolling back flip or something lol. Come on. I can do a triple backflip using a ramp.

Tires don’t wear easily on pavement in my opinion. Most of the driving i do is on my street with a big ass ramp. Been a year and tires are still in great shape!

When I first got my outcast, not much power or fun on 6s, until I calibrated the transmitter by setting the throttle points. Doubled the power/speed!

I think the stock body is off the charts looking compared to the Outcast. WOW, this thing is a beast w/ the upgraded pinion. I can't wait to get on my Tbone racing Thrasher front bumper in blue and add on a front and rear set of new Mc2 Shock Towers!

ARRMA Notorious.jpg

Last edited:
I've drove my Notorious for a few hours total now. Each run has been 15-20 minutes of hard driving in the grass draining a full 100Wh 6s SMC battery with everything stock. A few things I've noticed:
  1. The entire drive train gets hot after a full run. The center diff was 185F! All of the drive shafts were hot and the chassis was even 130F on the bottom. The super hot center diff is likely a bad thing. I just received 500K diff fluid which I'm going to put in the center diff soon (I think this may lower diff temp). The hot chassis is likely a good thing as it means the metal motor mount is making the entire chassis act like a giant heatsink for the motor.
  2. I put the yeah racing heatsink and fans on (only 1 of the 2 fans right now, have not had time to solder in both yet). My motor temps dropped from 175F to 150F after a full run.
  3. I think I have figured out the reason why the Notorious rotates much slower in the air than my Slash: its geared to go slower. The Notorious is currently geared for a top speed of ~51 MPH. My Slash is currently geared for a top speed of ~50 MPH, but the calculations do not account for tire ballooning, and the Notorious tires hardly balloon at all while the Slash tires (Badlands MX28) nearly double in size at top speed (I can never reach top speed because it is so unstable driving on pizza cutters), which puts the theoretical top speed closer to ~80 MPH. The Notorious also feels a lot slower than the Slash, but part of this may be because the Notorious is very stable at high speeds which makes it "feel slow" where as the Slash is scary unstable at high speeds (makes it feel fast). I ordered a pinion set for the Notorious and I'm going to try out 13T and 14T pinions to get some more speed. I'm hoping I can use a 14T pinion with my normal crazy driving without the motor exceeding ~170F with the heatsink and fans I've added.
  4. I really hate how the reverse functionality works with the stock setup. There is a very small range for reverse and once you get into reverse it goes stupid fast. I'm not sure if I have something configured wrong on the remote.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Notorious. Its proven to be incredibly durable and its an amazing deal for $500. I was considering getting a Tekno MT410 before buying the Notorious but it would cost at least twice as much once I bought all the parts that it doesn't come with and there are some things about its design that are flat out worse than than the Notorious such as the battery tray and the low side/front walls (I hate getting a bunch of debris in my chassis). My uber Slash is still faster than the Notorious and the Castle sensored system provides massively smoother throttle control, but I enjoy driving the Notorious over the Slash on every type of terrain. I might have to upgrade my Notorious to use a Castle 1515 and MMX.

I really hate the look of the stock body, so I bought a Jeep body along with TBR front and rear bumpers. The Jeep is in progress:

View attachment 22689
Iv heard that the reverse on the notorious had some issues where the polarity or something like that was backwards at the motor. He said something about only having half power in forward and full power in reverse. Look up a speed test for the notorious on you tube from driftomanic. You said it felt slow In the grass and this may be why. Hope it helps

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back