Typhon Notorious J Speedrun Typhon 6s 🔥shelf queen🔥

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, the latest tracking shows that it is sitting in a customs hold in British Columbia. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it gets through without any extra taxes or fees.
Ahh customs, the spoiler to all my crazy cheap ideas...?????

@Notorious J ... By the way, is your new forum icon picture you stuck in a snow blizzard ..?????

I can't wait to get it in and running. Glad to know you like it so far. I had all three trucks in the trunk of my car today. Batteries and tools packed too. Drove about two hours away to visit clients and found the perfect field to bash in. Fresh flat field of snow and some perfect jumps from the banks left by the plows. Radios were in a bag at home because I didn't want to leave them in the car overnight. One radio will be so much easier to accommodate and hopefully not have the same thing happen ever again.
Hey Notorious J,

I finally got the upgrades to the chassis components on my Typhon 6s installed and dialed in. I'm still waiting for the last if the electrical parts to arrive. Still trying to decide on a body from "Delta Plastik". It's getting there. Looking forward to seeing yours.
DSCN0725.JPG
DSCN0726.JPG
DSCN0727.JPG
DSCN0728.JPG

Hey Notorious J,

I finally got the upgrades to the chassis components on my Typhon 6s installed and dialed in. I'm still waiting for the last if the electrical parts to arrive. Still trying to decide on a body from "Delta Plastik". It's getting there. Looking forward to seeing yours.View attachment 61772View attachment 61773View attachment 61774View attachment 61775
Wow! You took a lot of the info that the speed runners shared and implemented it perfectly. That is very impressive, really. Mine has just simple basher upgrades. This looks like it's ready to run the quarter mile and do it in style. You need to thank the likes of @LibertyMKiii, @jondilly1974 and a few other of the speed run builders, cause whatever they taught you, it all seems to be there. I hope the body you choose, does the mechanics of your build, justice. Not sure I could ever run something that looks this nice. Your photos are also works of art. Congratulations on all you've accomplished this far.
Ahh customs, the spoiler to all my crazy cheap ideas...?????

@Notorious J ... By the way, is your new forum icon picture you stuck in a snow blizzard ..?????
That's how my eyes looked yesterday when I got to the most perfect bash spot, two hours from home, and then realized the radios for all three trucks were at home in a gym bag.?

I can't wait to get it in and running. Glad to know you like it so far. I had all three trucks in the trunk of my car today. Batteries and tools packed too. Drove about two hours away to visit clients and found the perfect field to bash in. Fresh flat field of snow and some perfect jumps from the banks left by the plows. Radios were in a bag at home because I didn't want to leave them in the car overnight. One radio will be so much easier to accommodate and hopefully not have the same thing happen ever again.

I would have been pretty mad too. The only thing this is missing is a case. I throw all my stuff in a backpack and I worry about the screen being cracked. One feature that sticks out the most, for me anyway, is the push button adjustment switches. The other radios I’ve always had have been RTR with adjustment knobs that get moved around when they are stored in my backpack. Something always had to be readjusted when I pulled them out. The GT5 with the buttons and stored settings does not do that.

I would have been pretty mad too. The only thing this is missing is a case. I throw all my stuff in a backpack and I worry about the screen being cracked. One feature that sticks out the most, for me anyway, is the push button adjustment switches. The other radios I’ve always had have been RTR with adjustment knobs that get moved around when they are stored in my backpack. Something always had to be readjusted when I pulled them out. The GT5 with the buttons and stored settings does not do that.
I like the idea of a case. I saw a post on Instagram where a guy emptied out a picnic pack and repurposed it as a hobby bag. It had velcro straps to hold plastic tumblers and large pockets for dishes and cutlery. He turned it into a small component kit holding a radio, batteries and a few other necessities. My wife left for work, so it's time to go search that "space" under the stairs, where stuff like this goes to be forgotten.

Found it! Padded front, middle and back. A large zippered pocket in the back for whatever. Should hold and protect that new radio well. Now what do I do with all that picnic stuff?
20200121_101855.jpg
20200121_101533.jpg

That’s perfect!
Hopefully wifey never goes looking for it, but if she does, one more strike against me and my stupid toy trucks.

Wow! You took a lot of the info that the speed runners shared and implemented it perfectly. That is very impressive, really. Mine has just simple basher upgrades. This looks like it's ready to run the quarter mile and do it in style. You need to thank the likes of @LibertyMKiii, @jondilly1974 and a few other of the speed run builders, cause whatever they taught you, it all seems to be there. I hope the body you choose, does the mechanics of your build, justice. Not sure I could ever run something that looks this nice. Your photos are also works of art. Congratulations on all you've accomplished this far.

That's how my eyes looked yesterday when I got to the most perfect bash spot, two hours from home, and then realized the radios for all three trucks were at home in a gym bag.?
Thank's Amigo.

Believe me, Liberty, jon, and I hope you, (and others), know how grateful I am for all of the patient, detailed information that has been shared with me on my thread, and the other one I started about batteries and chargers. A great group of guys.

Good luck on your build.

Again, Thank you!

Last edited:

Every single thing related to speed running I have to contribute is from the likes of @LibertyMKiii and @phildogg ??????✌?

Oh and a little bit from trial and error... ok just error. ????

?There is much more error in speed runs that people realize. We all crash, we just don't always post those videos :ROFLMAO:
Theories and calculations only take you so far. Most of what we do is test review data, and re-test with adjustments.

I am trying to help others along the way. Spending money on parts that wont help you reach the goal is just 1 more frustration to an already difficult part of the hobby.

I’ve currently got some steering issues that I need to dial out before sending it again. I think the lower ride height has changed my camber drastically and will need adjusted. It seems to track either left or right at speed instead of just going straight. Might be servo saver. I think I’m going to remove it since it’s a speed runner anyways.

I’ve currently got some steering issues that I need to dial out before sending it again. I think the lower ride height has changed my camber drastically and will need adjusted. It seems to track either left or right at speed instead of just going straight. Might be servo saver. I think I’m going to remove it since it’s a speed runner anyways.
It's an interesting approach, but I think the issue might be with tolerances. Even if you set your toe and camber perfectly, what you cannot control is tolerances in the suspension and differentials. If you spool all three difs, that helps to eliminate one issue. But even with quality upgraded suspension parts, an RTR is still an RTR, and there will be some slop that just can't be eliminated. Good to watch and learn as you and others continue to try though.

It's an interesting approach, but I think the issue might be with tolerances. Even if you set your toe and camber perfectly, what you cannot control is tolerances in the suspension and differentials. If you spool all three difs, that helps to eliminate one issue. But even with quality upgraded suspension parts, an RTR is still an RTR, and there will be some slop that just can't be eliminated. Good to watch and learn as you and others continue to try though.
I have a center spool and 100k front and rear. Not sure if these little diffs need more than 100k but I’m always up to trying.

I also have HR balls in all links with fresh ends, so no slop there yet. I have the HR steering rack with FE bearings and that is nice and tight. I replaced the steering posts last rebuild too. I have HR hubs and c-blocks as well. I have shimmed the hubs to take out some of the axle/hex slop. Can’t take it all out tho. It will bind.

I have a 20kg servo and a Kimbrough SS. I might just take them out and go with a 25kg from Dave with a solid arm. If there’s still slop after that, it’s time to move on to the Typhon 6S ????????

I have a center spool and 100k front and rear. Not sure if these little diffs need more than 100k but I’m always up to trying.

I also have HR balls in all links with fresh ends, so no slop there yet. I have the HR steering rack with FE bearings and that is nice and tight. I replaced the steering posts last rebuild too. I have HR hubs and c-blocks as well. I have shimmed the hubs to take out some of the axle/hex slop. Can’t take it all out tho. It will bind.

I have a 20kg servo and a Kimbrough SS. I might just take them out and go with a 25kg from Dave with a solid arm. If there’s still slop after that, it’s time to move on to the Typhon 6S ????????
I think a lot of speed runners run even higher weights in the front and rear. Even moderate differences in wheel spin speed might affect direction.

I think a lot of speed runners run even higher weights in the front and rear. Even moderate differences in wheel spin speed might affect direction.
I have some old ear plugs in my truck. I guess I can give that a go too ??

I have some old ear plugs in my truck. I guess I can give that a go too ??
That's probably not a bad idea. Probably easier to clean after too. Just vacuum out the shreds.

For racing, Liberty suggested that I use a spool, (like one from a Limitless), and 1,000,000CST in the front and rear. You're bashing. I was under the impression that a spool and really thick diff. fluid was a BAD idea for bashing. Maybe I was just having a "senior moment". What size is your pinion gear?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back