Notorious Notorious motor temp very high?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko R1

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Notorious
Hi guys,

I ran my Notorious which was an absolute blast, 6s (7200mah/100c) & with the optional 16 tooth larger pinion...the motor got to 120c = 240f...off the charts WOW!
Should I drop the pinion & go back to the stock 12 tooth or maybe buy a 14 tooth? was also thinking a motor fan & if so, what do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
I'd suggest a 14t or 15t max with the 2050kv. I love having the amazing air control for flips and 16t is a bit much IMO but 15t is perfect. **BUT** that's running a really good 40x28mm 12v fan that will keep temps down enough so the motor doesn't cook. also I usually have to take a good 5min break after a good hard 10+ mins of bashing and let the fan cool the motor down.

If it can cook water, it's WAY to hot.
I've been told that over 170°F (75°C for normal people) damages the motor magnets permanently. But my 3s is still running, soo..

Generally, if it burns your finger within 2 or so secs, it's to hot.
Fans and heat sinks help a lot, and so does upgrading to bigger motors.
Also, the terrain you drive on, and how hard you drive has a big effect.

But from your post I can see what your problem is. The 16t is meant for speed running, not bashing. I think it says it on the package it came in, or otherwise it's in the manual.
Just use the stock 12t, and see if you still have the problem 👍🏼

I once burnt my finger before I even touched my motor. Another time my friend dumped a water bottle on it and the water started boiling. 😶

Get yourself a fan and a temp gun and drive to the numbers( keep it below 160’F).
You can throw a 12T on there and poke around like you’re stuck in first gear for 25minutes….. or leave the 16T on there and see what she’s got for 10.

What about running a 46t spur gear wouldn’t that help?
I ran 46/16-29t but I did have 2 40mm fans with a 2200 castle motor tho
Smaller spur gear is the same as gearing up on the pinion

Hi guys,

I ran my Notorious which was an absolute blast, 6s (7200mah/100c) & with the optional 16 tooth larger pinion...the motor got to 120c = 240f...off the charts WOW!
Should I drop the pinion & go back to the stock 12 tooth or maybe buy a 14 tooth? was also thinking a motor fan & if so, what do you guys recommend?
Yikes! That's way too hot. Hopefully your motors not damaged. I've been told that the epoxy on the rotor starts to break down at high temperatures. Hopefully all is well. I would definitely gear down and get motor fan. Or take breaks during the run. That way temp's will stay in the safe range. Make sure to get a nice fan that's up to the task.

It seems some of the Firma ESCs come with the timing set at max (22 deg). Backing it down closer to 11.25 degrees will cool things down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back