Notorious Notorious - puff of white smoke, loss of power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampant Lion

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I finally had a chance to bash my new Notorious, stock pinion, and after about 10 minutes, I was riding it pretty hard when I heard a few noises that sounded like the tires were hitting the body. I checked and couldn't find anything wrong, so after a few minutes more, there was a quick puff of white smoke that shot out from under the body. I immediately powered it down and removed the body, couldn't find anything wrong again visually. Testing it again, there was extremely low power, even at full throttle. The vehicle was moving, but as slow as imaginable. Does this sound like it could be a blown motor? I contacted Horizon Hobby and I'm really hoping I can get this back running as soon as possible. Thanks!

Once the factory smoke is released you can't ever get it back...
Since there was a strange noise prior to the smoke, it's most likely the motor. Keep us updated on the diagnosis

A puff of white smoke reminds me of my burnt ESC....
Not sure I've ever seen a brushless motor put out smoke before, I've had brushed motors start smoking though.

I’ve had many brushless motors puff out smoke. It’s probably that, because if an esc goes you get nothing. A blown motor tends to carry on.

I’ve had many brushless motors puff out smoke. It’s probably that, because if an esc goes you get nothing. A blown motor tends to carry on.

The BLX185 ESC in my Notorious billowed thick white smoke when it went.

The BLX185 ESC in my Notorious billowed thick white smoke when it went.
So did many of my vxl3s’s and vxl 6s’s and an HPI Blur, but I was referring to brushless motors. All of those cases there was no drive or nothing, which is not the case for the op, which is why it’s not the esc.

I sound mean. Trust me I don’t mean it like that.

So did many of my vxl3s’s and vxl 6s’s and an HPI Blur, but I was referring to brushless motors. All of those cases there was no drive or nothing, which is not the case for the op, which is why it’s not the esc.

I sound mean. Trust me I don’t mean it like that.

You're not going to hurt my feelings. Stop worrying :ROFLMAO: You wrote that if an ESC goes you get nothing. Well I got a ton of white smoke. That's all I'm saying.

You're not going to hurt my feelings. Stop worrying :ROFLMAO: You wrote that if an ESC goes you get nothing. Well I got a ton of white smoke. That's all I'm saying.
Oh ok good.

You read wrong. I never said that. Read the sentence after I said “you get nothing” to get some context on what I was referring to. It’s very rare for an esc to die peacefully. With or without smoke, the point is, you get nothing. No power no drive. When a motor goes, you still get some power.

Oh ok good.

You read wrong. I never said that. Read the sentence after I said “you get nothing” to get some context on what I was referring to. It’s very rare for an esc to die peacefully. With or without smoke, the point is, you get nothing. No power no drive. When a motor goes, you still get some power.
I have a Hobbywing WP860 it turns on and you can control the steering servo with it, but as soon as you try to put power to a motor it lets out smoke.

I did one time have a castle MMM die peacefully, but it still had a fully functional bec. Just no sounds or anything at all.

Oh ok good.

I didn't read it wrong. You wrote it wrong! :ROFLMAO:

I think I didn’t write it wrong. You drew that conclusion because of what someone replied beforehand.

We shall agree to disagree.

Ok. I was worried if you would see it my way or not. I am glad that we can just move past this and get along with our lives. Breathing a huge sigh of relief.:smuggrin:

Ok. I was worried if you would see it my way or not. I am glad that we can just move past this and get along with our lives. Breathing a huge sigh of relief.:smuggrin:
Still would prefer an sbr over an srr ?

Still would prefer an sbr over an srr ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back