Notorious Notorious up in smoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: I emailed a Horizon rep that had helped me in the past and he replied today and asked that I call in. I called and left a message and he returned my call 5 minutes later. I explained to him what happened with my Notorious and how I had purchased it from a private seller, new in box. He explained that technically I did not have any warranty. I told him that when I originally submitted the claim I new that could be an issue and that I could have submitted the claim under my Kraton's warranty (which I bought from Hobbytown and have the receipt), but I wanted to be upfront. He appreciated that and we talked about other instances where the warranty could be an issue (like if you were given a truck as a gift and didn't have the receipt). At the end of the conversation he asked me what color my truck was and that he would be sending me an email that I would need to reply to. I thanked him and 5 minutes later I received an email asking me for a picture of the truck and a picture of the ESC will all the wires cut off. I immediately responded with the pictures and a few minutes later I got an email saying a new ESC had been ordered for me.

I am extremely pleased with this rep's willingness to work with me. While I think the warranty process needs to be reworked, at the end of the day Horizon Hobby did right by me and stood by their product. Kudos to them!

This reminds me of the experience that I had with Sapphire Tech support, mine did not go as nicely as yours. I had purchased 2 video cards from them one in 2009 from ebay with a lifetime warranty, the card crapped out about 3 months after I bought it submitted a warranty claim and had an RMA number the next day, the other card was also purchased new in 2014 from ebay with a 2 year limited warranty, the fans died 6 months later, I submitted my RMA and 3 days later I get a response back asking for the purchase receipt, I responded back saying that I purchased the card on ebay and asked if the PayPal receipt would be okay, they responded later that day that yes a PayPal receipt will work, so I send that in, then the following week I get a response back that my RMA has been denied because I didn't purchase the card from an authorized dealer(nowhere in the warranty information did it mention this and the person I told that I bought it on ebay never mentioned this either) but I could pay $30 and they would give me a an RMA number to send it in to get it fixed. Needless to say I found some on ebay for $15 and went that route.
I could understand the authorized retailer thing if they still had a lifetime warranty, but only having a 2 year limited warranty and then putting further restrictions on top of that is a bit ridiculous.

My experience with Gigabyte support was much much worse. I spent 2 months going back and forth with them with my motherboard that constantly ran my cpu at 100%, the vrms would get so hot at idle that you couldn't even touch them and the board itself was twisted. They sent back the same motherboard 3 times and never fixed the problem. I said piss on it and sold it as is not working on ebay and bought a different motherboard. After further research of this board previous revisions were known to start on fire, tons of forum posts about the vrms on the current revision running super hot and the messed up part is Gigabyte never issued a recall on the boards even though they started on fire..... Will never buy another one of their horrible products ever again.

I understand the part about not wanting to warranty if it is not an authorized dealer. Otherwise anyone could print up a receipt and there are a lot of untrustworthy people out there. They HAVE to go through authorized channels to protect themselves.

I understand the part about not wanting to warranty if it is not an authorized dealer. Otherwise anyone could print up a receipt and there are a lot of untrustworthy people out there. They HAVE to go through authorized channels to protect themselves.

I understand where you're coming from but it shouldn't matter where a product was bought if it's obvious that it is still in the warranty period. For instance if something comes with a 1 year warranty and if the product has only been available for less than 1 year then there should be no requirement for a receipt from an authorised dealer as it's not possible for it to be outwith the warranty period.

UPDATE: I emailed a Horizon rep that had helped me in the past and he replied today and asked that I call in. I called and left a message and he returned my call 5 minutes later. I explained to him what happened with my Notorious and how I had purchased it from a private seller, new in box. He explained that technically I did not have any warranty. I told him that when I originally submitted the claim I new that could be an issue and that I could have submitted the claim under my Kraton's warranty (which I bought from Hobbytown and have the receipt), but I wanted to be upfront. He appreciated that and we talked about other instances where the warranty could be an issue (like if you were given a truck as a gift and didn't have the receipt). At the end of the conversation he asked me what color my truck was and that he would be sending me an email that I would need to reply to. I thanked him and 5 minutes later I received an email asking me for a picture of the truck and a picture of the ESC will all the wires cut off. I immediately responded with the pictures and a few minutes later I got an email saying a new ESC had been ordered for me.

I am extremely pleased with this rep's willingness to work with me. While I think the warranty process needs to be reworked, at the end of the day Horizon Hobby did right by me and stood by their product. Kudos to them!

thats awesome!!

I understand where you're coming from but it shouldn't matter where a product was bought if it's obvious that it is still in the warranty period. For instance if something comes with a 1 year warranty and if the product has only been available for less than 1 year then there should be no requirement for a receipt from an authorised dealer as it's not possible for it to be outwith the warranty period.

agreed

Looking at the slush you are running the truck in, I wouldn't be surprised if the esc burned out if you hit a pocket with road salt. Calcium chloride and the magnesium hypochlorite they use out east is nasty.

Without the purchase receipt from an authorized dealer, how do they know you aren't trying to warranty a completely different product? And why would they be interested in doing so. They have policies in place to protect themselves and their dealers. It has more to do with " it's their product, fix it" because it should be under warranty.

Showed up today :)

20181124_161921.jpg

Looking at the slush you are running the truck in, I wouldn't be surprised if the esc burned out if you hit a pocket with road salt. Calcium chloride and the magnesium hypochlorite they use out east is nasty.

That's my driveway. No road salt.

Without the purchase receipt from an authorized dealer, how do they know you aren't trying to warranty a completely different product? And why would they be interested in doing so. They have policies in place to protect themselves and their dealers. It has more to do with " it's their product, fix it" because it should be under warranty.

Let's say my Kraton is 2 years old and my Notorious is a month old. Kraton esc fails. I provide receipt for my Notorious and tell them it was its ESC that failed. How would they know? I'm really not sure what point you are trying to make.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back