Notorious v5 rear diff & bearing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampage4430

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I have a new v5 notorious I have run one pack through it. Tonight I was changing the diff oil and the rear diff out drive on the cup side had a worn out bearing already. The out drive hangs up and get tight going in then loosen up once all the way in.(tried different ones as well) Wen u take it back out its hard to get out again. What's wrong with it? And why is the bearing worn out already? Thanks in advance

Well.... the stock bearings are crap to begin with. One pack through, a very new rig, you can call HH for a replacement set. Or do better and get a TRBRC or Jims or FastEddy set of rubber sealed bearings for the whole rig. Aprox. $25. The V5's have the Rubber sealed BB's now also. But as you can see one failed anyway. Chances are there are other BB's that will follow shortly. Think Inner Wheel hub bearings. they wear out the most. 🤷‍♂️ There may even be a few already worn elsewhere on your rig. Stock bearings suck. Always been that way. Water and dirt can contribute also. But yours is a new rig. This has happened to me and others before. You are not alone.
Others may chime in with their experience.. :cool:

Well.... the stock bearings are crap to begin with. One pack through, a very new rig, you can call HH for a replacement set. Or do better and get a TRBRC or Jims or FastEddy set of rubber sealed bearings for the whole rig. Aprox. $25. The V5's have the Rubber sealed BB's now also. But as you can see one failed anyway. Chances are there are other BB's that will follow shortly. Think Inner Wheel hub bearings. they wear out the most. 🤷‍♂️ There may even be a few already worn elsewhere on your rig. Stock bearings suck. Always been that way. Water and dirt can contribute also. But yours is a new rig. This has happened to me and others before. You are not alone.
Others may chime in with their experience.. :cool:
Thanks I ordered a set of the trbrc bearing tonight and a hot racing diff case

@SentFlying offers best advice. The bearings will survive longer IMHO. Attention to new bearings out the package for sure. Not too much grease is needed BTW. Just a small dab. Too much will blow out the seals.
I do this when they are new. Examine all new bearings by rotating them spinning them. Sometimes you get that one bad apple. Its happened. I caught a few bad bearings here and there out the package. Any brand this can happen to. TRBRC has great Customer support. The owner always picks up the phone.

After nonstop fusteration and having to spend 75$ to fix my notorious v5 after 15 minutes of use not even hard use just in my front yard. I have decided to throw in the towel on arrma. I've made a deal with a buddy to give him the notorious in exchange for a xmaxx 8s. I just wanted to thank everyone for the help u gave to me. I wanted to love my first arrma but I didn't. So I'm going back to Traxxas rc like I have for the past 20+ years. Best of luck with your arrma rcs everyone and take care

Well I understand. Thats a good friend. Sorta sounds like this is your first rc experience if you break parts and want to get rid of it. Traxxas (minus the Xmaxx) will break just the same and cost more. I could understand the bearings tho. Bash on dude have fun back at traxxas.

My v4 noto had a bad front diff bearing from the get go. Like a idiot i shudv stopped when it made a grinding noise then started lurching. I hammered down on it only to see it pop then stop. My first arrma lasted 1min. Tore the front and rear diffs apart and total carnage. I was highly pissed. But these guys brought me through. @FatCatRC im sure he remembers. Call hh they will make it rite for you.I will say i am very pleased with arrma and horizon. Iv had my share of traxxas and will never go back. Good luck in your rc adventure. 👍

My v4 noto had a bad front diff bearing from the get go. Like a idiot i shudv stopped when it made a grinding noise then started lurching. I hammered down on it only to see it pop then stop. My first arrma lasted 1min. Tore the front and rear diffs apart and total carnage. I was highly pissed. But these guys brought me through. @FatCatRC im sure he remembers. Call hh they will make it rite for you.I will say i am very pleased with arrma and horizon. Iv had my share of traxxas and will never go back. Good luck in your rc adventure. 👍
Yea I remember. And glad you stuck it through the forum wouldn't be the same without you. I have trays filled with outdrive cups and bearings so I feel his pain. But I could never buy a traxxass. One thing people fail to realize is these rigs run 23+ volts at 120 +amps sometimes and with motors that have enough torque to snap your wrist. Yet we complain when they break tiny lil powder metal gears and toy grade bearings. These motors have a ton of power, things in the drivetrain will break.

Well I understand. Thats a good friend. Sorta sounds like this is your first rc experience if you break parts and want to get rid of it. Traxxas (minus the Xmaxx) will break just the same and cost more. I could understand the bearings tho. Bash on dude have fun back at traxxas.
I've been in the hobby for 35 years I'm a 1/8 scale buggy racer I've ran mugen seiki stuff for years and Traxxas for years I'm just not into spending 70$ per 15 minutes of fun

I've been in the hobby for 35 years I'm a 1/8 scale buggy racer I've ran mugen seiki stuff for years and Traxxas for years I'm just not into spending 70$ per 15 minutes of fun
What little there is to be done is to upgrade and strengthen the diffs and better landing with the shocks. As a racer I am sure you would appreciate the results. But hey you could just bash and fix along the way💯

Correct me if I'm wrong but people who race and are really into it don't they spend sometimes thousands of dollars on one vehicle? and your pissed about having to spend an extra 70 bucks?

Correct me if I'm wrong but people who race and are really into it don't they spend sometimes thousands of dollars on one vehicle? and your pissed about having to spend an extra 70 bucks?
LOL your correct and I have about 3k in my racing buggy

Got to concede that Mugen Seiki is leaps and bounds better than Basher 1/8 RTR Arrmas quality wise. Especially the diffs in regards. Will always be that way. You are spoiled. I agree. Comes down to price point and who the end user is.
Being a Track guy makes it obvious. Bashing will take out any rig however. Mugen's and Trx's

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back