Kraton Now Confused about upgrading Servo, Help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbl_91762

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I've done my research to learn more about upgrading my steering and more confused then ever. after watching my buddies on the track with the eRevo taking turns, its apparent that their 2 steering servo has an advantage to help. Now I want better steering! What confuses me now is the threads here saying 1. Savox is good but others its not so much (so what to get) 2. A new BEC is required or not?? (so which one to get) 3. Am I losing steering power because I don't have the aluminum brace (Do I really need it)? I am running the DBoots Backflips on track but even with stock V3 tires those ERevo's turned better then mine. So I appreciate the support this forum gives, but I would ideally like to just buy a good (not best) servo that is a simple drop in and don't need to install a new BEC. But if you guys swear by it, I will get a BEC. Also the servo brace, needed or not? Thanks guys and pics speak a thousand words for this old man.

Get a metal servo bracket of some kind, Voltage Hobbies, GKA, or even Hot Racing, then get yourself a Savox.

https://www.savoxusa.com/collection...ducts/savsw1210sg-waterproof-coreless-digital

Waterproof, high voltage, powerful and good speed.

I feel like for every post someone complains about a Savox there are probably a 1000 users that are perfectly happy, I have them in my entire fleet, no problems ever.

The mount is needed to reduce the flex in the stock mount.

I run all the Savox in my fleet with out a BEC, that 1210 should be fast enough on the 6 volts the Arrma ESC puts out.

TT

Most of my problems early on with steering were the servo saver being to loose. Under power it would not turn. Mine now is almost as tight as I can get it and handleling is much improved even with the stock servo. Maybe an 1/8” of spring showing if that. Feeling being if the servo breaks maybe I want to use a different one. I have a savox sv1270 in my Typhon and a jx cos-5830hv and they both are lasting a pretty long time. I like the jx as it is very fast, strong and half the price. ( No bec needed with either just plug it in.) Also like their cheaper ones as well like the 5821. They go on sale for 10bucks at rcjuice from time to time and are far and away better than the stock arrma servo. Good to keep a spare one in your mobile tool box.

Last edited:
The issues with the savox servo was apparently my fault because I did not set endpoint adjustments which I never knew existed

I have run the savox mentioned for the past 2 months in my outcast. It's the most powerful servo I currently own/have in any of my trucks. I have it wired to the aftermarket receiver which is tied to the esc like normal. I don't have a cap pack or BEC and it seems to work fine. I don't know what voltage it's receiving, whatever stock was I guess.

My stock servo didn't make it to the first corner out of the box.

My servo saver also walked loose after a short while once I started running. I ended up compressing the spring completely, put threadlock on under the nut in the threads, then backed the nut off into the threadlock to where I wanted it. It has held fast since.

The later model trucks have a more stout servo mount, so you may not "need" the aftermarket brace/mount. I'd see how it does without it first.

As for turning, diff oil plays a big part as does the suspension/tires. The arrma vehicles start with sway bars and relatively light oil in the diffs. you might want to at least increase the oil in the center diff to help avoid unloading power to the front on acceleration. The sway bars keep the truck generally flat in corners, whereas the revo's probably lean a lot, unless they have sway bars installed. So their weight transfers more to the outside tires which causes power loss to the inside tires, but more grip on the outside. On long corners, you'd do better, but on short corners, they might. You will have to play around with your diff oil to see what you can get working for you.

I bought some proline supporessor tires from a guy at the track, Made night and day difference with initial turn in, and putting the power down to the track. I had been running the backflips as well... slide city when compared the proper truggy tires.

Thanks guys for helping me understand and will be ordering a servo soon. Also Dvarg, your right about the backflips on track as they do slide, however my first try at the track I had the V3 stock tires and omg I was on ice skates out there but it did allow me to learn throttle control. But one thing at a time with upgrades lol. Oh I failed to mention Im running 6S on a track and like others mentioned its overkill. So I also have to buy a set of 4S for track also.

Not only is 6s overkill the battery is heavier making you slide more, flip easier, and in general have bad control.

The savox 1210SG is perfect for the Kraton. I have run it for over year with no issues. PLug and play at it's best.

The newer Kratons have a stiffer servo mount, so skip the aluminum one until later.

As mentioned above, the diff oil, and servo saver can affect your steering. ALSO there are 2 little wheels on your controller. One of them will affect how far your wheels will turn. Set your car up on a box so the wheels are not touching the ground, and can turn with out hitting the box. Then play with those wheels. You may have it set so that the front wheels just don't turn as far as they could.

The savox 1210SG is perfect for the Kraton. I have run it for over year with no issues. PLug and play at it's best.

The newer Kratons have a stiffer servo mount, so skip the aluminum one until later.

As mentioned above, the diff oil, and servo saver can affect your steering. ALSO there are 2 little wheels on your controller. One of them will affect how far your wheels will turn. Set your car up on a box so the wheels are not touching the ground, and can turn with out hitting the box. Then play with those wheels. You may have it set so that the front wheels just don't turn as far as they could.

I don't recommend changing the dual rate on the remote which is the wheel he is referring to. While this limits the steering it also slows down the response and speed of the servo. You don't want to slow down the servo.

Instead you should adjust the endpoints which is explained in the kraton manual. This limits steering without slowing it down

I don't recommend changing the dual rate on the remote which is the wheel he is referring to. While this limits the steering it also slows down the response and speed of the servo. You don't want to slow down the servo.

Instead you should adjust the endpoints which is explained in the kraton manual. This limits steering without slowing it down

You mean the joke of a manual Arrma gave us that covers every vehicle they make in 1??? Sorry but I will try again to read it and play with it. Like I said a pic or better is a video is worth a thousand words lol. I also changed the center diff oil to 100k and Im happy with the way the truck handles now and it does not nearly balloon the fronts as it when it was stock. Thanks always guys!

I've done my research to learn more about upgrading my steering and more confused then ever. after watching my buddies on the track with the eRevo taking turns, its apparent that their 2 steering servo has an advantage to help. Now I want better steering! What confuses me now is the threads here saying 1. Savox is good but others its not so much (so what to get) 2. A new BEC is required or not?? (so which one to get) 3. Am I losing steering power because I don't have the aluminum brace (Do I really need it)? I am running the DBoots Backflips on track but even with stock V3 tires those ERevo's turned better then mine. So I appreciate the support this forum gives, but I would ideally like to just buy a good (not best) servo that is a simple drop in and don't need to install a new BEC. But if you guys swear by it, I will get a BEC. Also the servo brace, needed or not? Thanks guys and pics speak a thousand words for this old man.
My servo went out in 5 minutes of running. Horizon Hobby did excellent in replacing the servo three days I had a new one. Instead of waiting I bought hot racing aluminum servo mount perfect for any servo you install. I bought a Savox sv-1270 yes it’s not water proof but the waterproof one is taller than the stock so it will not work without issues. I’ve ran the crap out of it 50+ 6s 5200 50c batteries without a hiccup. Road mud dirt grass jumping front flips back flips wheelies whatever. The truck performs phenomenal turns so tight that in grass will flip on the road do 360s and keep going. For newer driver I actually turn the steering sensitivity back. As far as water proof I have not put it in a ditch/ submerged it but mud wet grass wet roads not problems. No BEC needed. Just install and play with your new toy! Hope this helps ya! Party on!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 76
It's probably already been said, but the Savox servos are fine without a bec in these Arrma blx rigs because the built in bec in their escs already are set at 6v, but on other vehicles like the Traxxas ones I've found that their internal bec is set lower especially in the ones with micro servos (which don't like higher than that). Alternatively, if you just want the added protection you could just add a glitch buster which just plugs into an open receiver channel, but you don't really need anything else to run Savox servos.

I would recommend one of the PowerHD servos.

The brushless servos such as the storm series and B series are very high performance and good quality.

I have a storm4 in my Talion which works fantastically. It has 25kg of torque and 0.08 sec transit speed. I chose it because it pulls less current than savox servos of similar spec and will therefore work well with the average BEC that the BLX185 has.

I now use a hobbywing max8 which alllows me to run this servo at 7.4v for maximum torque and speed.

Make sure your servo saver is set quite tight and has threadlock on the nut so that it doesn’t come loose.

The voltage hobbies servo mount makes a small difference so it is worth it more so for stronger servos.

I have a Savox SA1283SG with the stock mount/ESC. It was easy to install, really PnP, and it's great, even looks cool with its alu case. Had no issues with it.
/This one isn't waterproof, but it has some decent O-rings so it shouldn't be hard to achieve that./

My servo went out in 5 minutes of running. Horizon Hobby did excellent in replacing the servo three days I had a new one. Instead of waiting I bought hot racing aluminum servo mount perfect for any servo you install. I bought a Savox sv-1270 yes it’s not water proof but the waterproof one is taller than the stock so it will not work without issues. I’ve ran the crap out of it 50+ 6s 5200 50c batteries without a hiccup. Road mud dirt grass jumping front flips back flips wheelies whatever. The truck performs phenomenal turns so tight that in grass will flip on the road do 360s and keep going. For newer driver I actually turn the steering sensitivity back. As far as water proof I have not put it in a ditch/ submerged it but mud wet grass wet roads not problems. No BEC needed. Just install and play with your new toy! Hope this helps ya! Party on!

Your comment about the tall waterproof servo not fitting without issues, I have never heard that and I'm not sure that's accurate to say it has issues.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back