Kraton Odd ESC compatibility question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBro80

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
Not sure if this has ever been asked or ever been considered, but here goes.

Yesterday I got the flashing green light of doom on my V4 Kraton's BLX185 ESC (I assume that's what it is... 4 flashes, no throttle). Quick search suggests "ESC is either receiving to high/low voltage or is stuck in programming mode."

Should be covered under warranty, so while I wait for a response from HH, I was thinking about options to get up and running quicker. Obviously I could just buy a BLX185 or a Firma 150 from Jenny's, or buy a Max8 or something equivalent, but eventually I'll have a spare BLX185 warranty replacement that I don't have another use for (until the new one fails.. hopefully not any time soon).

I do, however, have a desire to convert my son's Granite Mega to brushless. So here's my line of thinking: what if I bought a BLX100 to eventually put in the Granite. Would it be capable of running the stock Kraton's BLX4074 motor in the Kraton (on 3S, no 4S or 6S of course)? I get that the truck would be significantly slower than it is now, but it's winter and I'm just looking to rip it around the yard... don't need insane speed. Or would it damage the ESC with the heavy load? Is a 2050kV motor compatible with the BLX100?

Am I crazy? (yes, definitely, but humor me)

Yesterday I got the flashing green light of doom on my V4 Kraton's BLX185 ESC (I assume that's what it is... 4 flashes, no throttle). Quick search suggests "ESC is either receiving to high/low voltage or is stuck in programming mode."

Should be covered under warranty, so while I wait for a response from HH, I was thinking about options to get up and running quicker. Obviously I could just buy a BLX185 or a Firma 150 from Jenny's, or buy a Max8 or something equivalent, but eventually I'll have a spare BLX185 warranty replacement that I don't have another use for (until the new one fails.. hopefully not any time soon).

I do, however, have a desire to convert my son's Granite Mega to brushless. So here's my line of thinking: what if I bought a BLX100 to eventually put in the Granite. Would it be capable of running the stock Kraton's BLX4074 motor in the Kraton (on 3S, no 4S or 6S of course)? I get that the truck would be significantly slower than it is now, but it's winter and I'm just looking to rip it around the yard... don't need insane speed. Or would it damage the ESC with the heavy load? Is a 2050kV motor compatible with the BLX100?

No definitely not. Wait, if you only run on 3s maybe. ?

Well that would be great news! I found this video:

Tried to reproduce EXACTLY what he did, but... no luck. I'll keep trying, but if anyone knows of a trick or the exact sequence that fixes it, LMK.

If you are planning to put something into the granite, why not get a 4s capable for future options and to be more satisfying as an interim in the kraton? Max10sct (120a) or even better xr8sct (140a and sensored).

So to answer your question yes. I've ran the 4074 motor on my BLX100 in my Granite 3s BLX. It adds a ton of weight though and you have to gear up to 26t to get same stock speed as the 3660 motor on 15t. But yes it absolutely will run on the BLX100. If your geared down to like the stock 15t top speed I'm guessing would be about 35+/- as I did speed runs with the 4074 with 26t on 3s and got 49.6mph.

If you are planning to put something into the granite, why not get a 4s capable for future options and to be more satisfying as an interim in the kraton? Max10sct (120a) or even better xr8sct (140a and sensored).
Good suggestion, thanks!
So to answer your question yes. I've ran the 4074 motor on my BLX100 in my Granite 3s BLX. It adds a ton of weight though and you have to gear up to 26t to get same stock speed as the 3660 motor on 15t. But yes it absolutely will run on the BLX100. If your geared down to like the stock 15t top speed I'm guessing would be about 35+/- as I did speed runs with the 4074 with 26t on 3s and got 49.6mph.
I knew someone would have tried it! Great info, thank you!

There is a fix to the 4 blinking lights. Search on youtube(y)
So I tried the @East tactics fix over and over and over with no luck, and then suddenly it worked (I guess that's how these things go...)

Thanks everyone for their help... Arrma is sending a new ESC under warranty anyway, but good to know I'll have a backup and there is a fix if this happens agian.

So I tried the @East tactics fix over and over and over with no luck, and then suddenly it worked (I guess that's how these things go...)

Thanks everyone for their help... Arrma is sending a new ESC under warranty anyway, but good to know I'll have a backup and there is a fix if this happens agian.
I guess the next obvious question is: any recommendations for a decent brushless motor for the Granite? I'm sure there are lots of options that would be overkill on this platform, but I'll probably plan to run 3S most of the time, maybe 4S occasionally.

I found this thread.... lots of opinions... https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/anyone-put-a-blx-185-esc-in-their-granite-3s-blx.28206/

Any experience with the cheap china brand motors? (Racestar, Surpass, GoolRC)... total waste of money, or passable if they're not abused?

Last edited:
I have a whole 6s system in my Senton to Typhon conversion (3s v2 model). It is overkill while doing speedruns and the acceleration is mindblowing since the car is soooo light. Yes, @K-BASH has some cheap $40 china motors that can be run on 5s. I tried to get 1 but in Canada it is hard, it takes 2 months to come from China.

I have a whole 6s system in my Senton to Typhon conversion (3s v2 model). It is overkill while doing speedruns and the acceleration is mindblowing since the car is soooo light. Yes, @K-BASH has some cheap $40 china motors that can be run on 5s. I tried to get 1 but in Canada it is hard, it takes 2 months to come from China.
Guess I'm gonna have to send ya one...haha but you will have to send me something. I always need tires??

Any experience with the cheap china brand motors? (Racestar, Surpass, GoolRC)... total waste of money, or passable if they're not abused?
So I killed the 3660 stock motor in my Granite about a month after purchased. I live in an area with fine dusty sand and dirt didn't tape holes or add the O ring on shaft. Anyways I picked up a surpass hobby 3665 2900kv motor and it held up great, great torque, and speed compared to the 3200kv was almost the exact same.

Not what I meant, but I am down for free motors! I meant that you have experience with them :ROFLMAO:
You send me new set of badland mx m2s and ill send you power mod outa this truck.on 6s it'll do over 80mph.blx185 will fit tight in between receiver box 4068-2650kv.

16084261674257275306625591681487.jpg

No it won't. In July 95 degree heat thats the only setup I could run an not overheat by end of pack.in senton I had blx100-2050kv,4074-26t and on 3s..ran great back to back packs in Midwest heat

You send me new set of badland mx m2s and ill send you power mod outa this truck.on 6s it'll do over 80mph.blx185 will fit tight in between receiver box 4068-2650kv.

View attachment 114941

No it won't. In July 95 degree heat thats the only setup I could run an not overheat by end of pack.in senton I had blx100-2050kv,4074-26t and on 3s..ran great back to back packs in Midwest heat
If offer still stood and was declined.......
16093292644551701826425142607378.jpg
Two runs. I preferred the belted trenchers. Probably gonna sell these and get the wider, belted Badlands. Lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back