Fireteam Offroad Speed Runs - Whos the fastest so far?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if people keep pursuing speed runs not on paved surfaces, there will need to be clear distinctions of what kind of "off road" surface. Groomed surfaces such as well kept sports fields and well maintained/graded dirt roads will allow higher speeds than ungroomed natural areas. Truly natural surfaces could be their own category, but even then, there are major advantages/disadvantages some may have with natural surfaces. Just speculation on my part, but I would think the best truly natural surface for off road speed runs would be the beach during low tide. Of course then you have to watch the salty moisture getting in your rig.
Yeah, this mirrors much of my own thinking on the subject. To me a natural park green that hasn't been leveled/manicured would be the ideal standard so that there are some natural moguls involved. Again, this is just my own personal opinion, but to me a beach during low tide would be far too smooth. Making a car go fast on non-pavement surfaces is one thing. Adding the challenge of moguls and suspension tuning is what would really set it apart in my view. I think the ultra long wheelbase of KT's snowboard sausage was a primary contributing factor to it's ability to smooth out the bumpy surface of the field he was running on. Shorter vehicles will hit a bump in quick succession with the front and rear axle which is far more likely to result in an endo.

It's already an impossible task to ask for homogeneity on road surfaces when comparing speed runners (unless you're at a sanctioned event where everyone is running on the same surface such as ROSSA). But it is what it is. Finding an agreed upon standard for off-road passes would be even more impossible (if it's possible to be more impossible than impossible...but seeing as there are different types of infinity and not all infinities are created equal, I think you could argue that there are also different types of impossible). Sorry for the ramble. :)

2EE1ED38-C566-48C2-978C-E4672A8A571E.png
DD7974F8-0D6C-4FF6-9D27-33DAFB7BDDAA.png

These lists are kept up to date.

Last year before i made my
Talion an onroad Speedrunner I did 73mph on a golf course(grass),
Blew 3 tires on that run.
My talion is setup again for offroad but just have to find time to get to my bashing spot to try and best that number. Potential for 100 mph with my new setup but tires will be the limiter for me as well

I figured the 100mph club was pretty exclusive. I happen to have a park nearby with 20 or so adjacent soccer fields. They manicure this park pretty well, so I’m hoping some short hibernating grass field would be a perfect spot.
That truly sounds like the PERFECT surface. Goodluck and godspeed

Hundred mile an hr corn detasseler..
👌🤣😂🤣
Sounds like my drone, but faster
The fireteam definitely has the right chassis for it.

What kind of tires make sense for off-road speed running?
I ordered some belted buggy tires to try out. Biggest issue is weight of your tire/wheel combo. Too heavy and you’ll be doing wheelies.
While the soccer field sounds like a nice idea, it's a bit of a short cut if I'm honest. This is just a personal view but, in my mind, the term "off-road" doesn't just mean that it's not on a road, but that there's some natural element to the terrain with at least some dips, bumps (nothing too extreme mind you as that will result in an endo so fast it'll make your head swim). I think this is part of what makes off-road speed running so much more difficult to judge because, while all roads are different, the variation from off-road stretch to off-road stretch is going to vary wildly. Like said, this is just my personal view on the topic. If a soccer field counts, what about an astro-turf football field that's perfectly smooth? Technically it's still "off-road" but I think you get the idea of what I'm driving at (pun fully intended). Thoughts?
I appreciate your point of view but I’m just following in the KT footsteps, minus a skateboard. 🤣🤘🏻
View attachment 259491View attachment 259492
These lists are kept up to date.

Last year before i made my
Talion an onroad Speedrunner I did 73mph on a golf course(grass),
Blew 3 tires on that run.
My talion is setup again for offroad but just have to find time to get to my bashing spot to try and best that number. Potential for 100 mph with my new setup but tires will be the limiter for me as well
Heck yeah. I knew someone knew the deets.

Last edited:
Agreed.
KT posted a video about this and then updated his post showing someone went faster. I was something like 102 but not sure off the top of my head.
His long dual-motor off-road car went 101 mph so that would be roughly it. Either way, I think 102 or 103 would put you as the world record holder.

It seems like some belted off road tires are a must, but then need to also be wrapped with kevlar or fishing line to control the expansion.

I had also done some thinking on this and decided I won't try.... BUT if I was to ever do this I would try to remove the tires off the wheel with standard GRPs and then put thumbtacks through the tire. Then re-glue the tire back on. Basically, make a spiked snow tire so I could utilize a high-speed tire and get some grip in the grass.

I ran a Kraton at about 60mph on some wide-open soccer fields and the suspension travel over what looked like a smooth surface was shocking to see.
Or make some custom solid rubber tires like WestOZ RC. I think, additionally, I'd put some screws through from the inside for cleat action and some Kevlar wraps on the outside.

Those Taylor RC wheels looked like a good option for the application, but at £120-150 a pair, I don't think there are many people who would be willing and able to justify that kind of expense for a set of wheels/tires. As we saw from KT's runs, the Taylor RC wheels had issues as well keeping the tires on the rims so some Kevlar or other kind of external belting would still be necessary.
I appreciate your point of view but I’m just following in the KT footsteps, minus a skateboard. 🤣🤘🏻
I'm not saying my point of view is the right one. To be fair, the field that KT was running on did have moguls and yes, it was used as a soccer field, so fair enough. As I said, it's going to be impossible to find a standard so, to my mind, anything that isn't perfectly smooth would qualify.

And if you'll excuse my pedantry (I think it's genetically programmed into me), it was a snowboard :LOL:

Not sure if it's up to the speeds, but the talion tires are belted and could maybe be wrapped for extra balloon reduction. This may have been stated already, I just kinda jumped in haphazardly. @Diem Turner I used a good word in here ☝️.
FWIW, KT made his 101mph run on Badlands without any kind of reinforcements. He was having issues at first shredding them when the car would diff out on the uneven surface. I can't recall off the top of my head whether he just silicone earplugged the diffs or fully locked them, but that was enough for the tires to hold up for a few passes. They did go full pizza cutter mode, but they stayed in one piece.
1669852760044.png

Or make some custom solid rubber tires like WestOZ RC. I think, additionally, I'd put some screws through from the inside for cleat action and some Kevlar wraps on the outside.

Those Taylor RC wheels looked like a good option for the application, but at £120-150 a pair, I don't think there are many people who would be willing and able to justify that kind of expense for a set of wheels/tires. As we saw from KT's runs, the Taylor RC wheels had issues as well keeping the tires on the rims so some Kevlar or other kind of external belting would still be necessary.

I'm not saying my point of view is the right one. To be fair, the field that KT was running on did have moguls and yes, it was used as a soccer field, so fair enough. As I said, it's going to be impossible to find a standard so, to my mind, anything that isn't perfectly smooth would qualify.

And if you'll excuse my pedantry (I think it's genetically programmed into me), it was a snowboard :LOL:
Lol maybe it was a snowboard 🤣 Heck I know the road I used to speed run on was terrible but I made it work. I never used it as an excuse, but it had varying crowns and tons of variations that took me a long time to identify. All along I thought my cars were setup poorly, come to find out the varying crown was more to blame.

Lol maybe it was a snowboard 🤣 Heck I know the road I used to speed run on was terrible but I made it work. I never used it as an excuse, but it had varying crowns and tons of variations that took me a long time to identify. All along I thought my cars were setup poorly, come to find out the varying crown was more to blame.
Hey!!! I got a road that fits that description perfectly. Love your mindset about it too. Gotta go with what ya got sometimes

I hear ya man. It's crazy how an uneven road with crowns will make your car behave. I had that same experience where I thought I just couldn't get my car to drive straight no matter what I did until I realized that it was the road that was pulling my car left and right.

Last edited:
Yeah, this mirrors much of my own thinking on the subject. To me a natural park green that hasn't been leveled/manicured would be the ideal standard so that there are some natural moguls involved. Again, this is just my own personal opinion, but to me a beach during low tide would be far too smooth. Making a car go fast on non-pavement surfaces is one thing. Adding the challenge of moguls and suspension tuning is what would really set it apart in my view. I think the ultra long wheelbase of KT's snowboard sausage was a primary contributing factor to it's ability to smooth out the bumpy surface of the field he was running on. Shorter vehicles will hit a bump in quick succession with the front and rear axle which is far more likely to result in an endo.

It's already an impossible task to ask for homogeneity on road surfaces when comparing speed runners (unless you're at a sanctioned event where everyone is running on the same surface such as ROSSA). But it is what it is. Finding an agreed upon standard for off-road passes would be even more impossible (if it's possible to be more impossible than impossible...but seeing as there are different types of infinity and not all infinities are created equal, I think you could argue that there are also different types of impossible). Sorry for the ramble. :)
I know I've discussed this before in other threads. And there seemed to be some diverging opinions about this out there :cool:

Like you brought up, you already have the struggle of finding a flat road surface. I'm sure overall opinions will develop as the list fills out and more people attempt speed running in various places. IE, I don't think we'll need to "agree" on a standard, i think it will naturally come out as the segment grows. I suspect if it does continue to grow pretty big, there will naturally be distinctions about the type of speed run or the surface (grass, snow, sand/dirt, etc).

As for now, i think the challenge is getting your car past 100mph anywhere off road. Onces that's been conquered, we'll all likely move on to a more challenging location and so on.

I'm personally interested in the 10th scale off road runs. Those seem mind bogglingly challenging!

I know I've discussed this before in other threads. And there seemed to be some diverging opinions about this out there :cool:

Like you brought up, you already have the struggle of finding a flat road surface. I'm sure overall opinions will develop as the list fills out and more people attempt speed running in various places. IE, I don't think we'll need to "agree" on a standard, i think it will naturally come out as the segment grows. I suspect if it does continue to grow pretty big, there will naturally be distinctions about the type of speed run or the surface (grass, snow, sand/dirt, etc).

As for now, i think the challenge is getting your car past 100mph anywhere off road. Onces that's been conquered, we'll all likely move on to a more challenging location and so on.

I'm personally interested in the 10th scale off road runs. Those seem mind bogglingly challenging!
Agree with everything you laid out. I too suspect that if/as off-road speed running increases, we'll see a natural evolution and filtering of how it should be done. I agree that it could be beneficial to break it down into general terrain type categories. Not that different terrains don't compete against one another, just that it's documented like in that list @vwturbowolf posted. Off-road speed running definitely poses entirely new challenges, particularly in how to deal with moguls and the like.

And yeah, 1/10 scale off-road would definitely be a totally different animal than 1/8 or 1/5 scale.

I think if I were to get into it, I'd probably either run a Mojave or a UDR. They both deal with uneven terrain really well compared to a lot of other off-road vehicles.

Welcome back Dilly!

Few months ago I built a fully custom Frankenstein for offroad speedrunning on actual lose sand with paddle tires. Shafts are giving me a hard time, so i basicly promoted it to a shelf queen. Never clocked the speed as it never came to an actual attempt.

I recently bought a fireteam, so i might continue with this chassis. Plenty of grass fields nearby (NL is a soccer country/currently winning the world cup)
so i might persue this challenge. Tempt me enough and i will ;)

While the soccer field sounds like a nice idea, it's a bit of a short cut if I'm honest. This is just a personal view but, in my mind, the term "off-road" doesn't just mean that it's not on a road, but that there's some natural element to the terrain with at least some dips, bumps (nothing too extreme mind you as that will result in an endo so fast it'll make your head swim). I think this is part of what makes off-road speed running so much more difficult to judge because, while all roads are different, the variation from off-road stretch to off-road stretch is going to vary wildly. Like said, this is just my personal view on the topic. If a soccer field counts, what about an astro-turf football field that's perfectly smooth? Technically it's still "off-road" but I think you get the idea of what I'm driving at (pun fully intended). Thoughts?
I get where you’re coming from, but we‘re talking about 100mph on un-paved surfaces. Who wants to hit a gopher hole at 90+? I vote for the most pristine, well kept sports fields one can find. Even then 100mph is no small feat, especially given the tire situation. Almost anyone can hit 100+ these days on-road, so much so that it’s often trivialized. Hit 100+ in pretty much any off road scenario and you’re a hero, man!

I’m surprised to see so much focus on big cars.

If I was going for off-road speed, I’d choose an 8S Typhon on flat dirt over anything else that has been mentioned.

But I have zero speed running experience so I’m probably overlooking something.

I’m surprised to see so much focus on big cars.

If I was going for off-road speed, I’d choose an 8S Typhon on flat dirt over anything else that has been mentioned.

But I have zero speed running experience so I’m probably overlooking something.
The larger the size the smaller the impact of bumps and variations in the ground will have upsetting the vehicle stability.
Of course, the trade-off is more weight and need more power which comes with additional weight....

Might try and get in some off road speed runs this fall/winter/spring when the parks are mostly empty. I bought a Fireteam on sale and considering doing some pulls with it. Wondering how far above 100mph is considered the record right now. Sorry if I missed your posts about the subject in the past year as I have been busy away from the hobby but trying to find something to do soon.

I will join this challenge with you. I got a this Mojave EXB and possible a long enough field of like 5-6 soccer fields.

Does the salt flats in CA count as off-road?

Just found this dried up lake 1.5hrs away.
2EBA721D-0846-4C81-94CE-A8CDE195B1D3.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back