Fireteam Offroad Speed Runs - Whos the fastest so far?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, motor Slayer 🤘
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon 3s
Might try and get in some off road speed runs this fall/winter/spring when the parks are mostly empty. I bought a Fireteam on sale and considering doing some pulls with it. Wondering how far above 100mph is considered the record right now. Sorry if I missed your posts about the subject in the past year as I have been busy away from the hobby but trying to find something to do soon.

Welcome back Dilly....also good to see another vet around here for us newbies!

I imagine I may be out of pocket once this new house is built in the county. So far HVAC and wiring going in and drywall will be soon. Hope to be moved in by April/May.

Sure I will be so busy time for the forum and RCs may dip :-(

Can’t wait to see what you cook up, will be standing by to attempt to best it 🤣😂.. my on road skills, not so great… I’m great with bashing 😎 LOL
Sure I will be so busy time for the forum and RCs may dip :-(
Just make sure to stop by and say hi every now and again.

Can't wait to see how far you can push it :)

As for here on the forum, I think the fastest I've seen or read about was somewhere in the 80mph vicinity. The fastest I've seen overall has been KT's sausage mobile at 101mph.

Can't wait to see how far you can push it :)

As for here on the forum, I think the fastest I've seen or read about was somewhere in the 80mph vicinity. The fastest I've seen overall has been KT's sausage mobile at 101mph.
Sausage mobile.. I just picture a giant dachshund lol.

I figured the 100mph club was pretty exclusive. I happen to have a park nearby with 20 or so adjacent soccer fields. They manicure this park pretty well, so I’m hoping some short hibernating grass field would be a perfect spot.

The fireteam definitely has the right chassis for it.

What kind of tires make sense for off-road speed running?
That's a tricky question. If you watch KT's exploits in trying to attain 100mph, it quickly becomes apparent that tires are the Achille's heel.

I'll get in on this with my new build 😈. But yeah tires certainly are the weak point it seems. Think it was Earl Moorhead on YouTube that made his own tires that are just rims with cleats bolted into them. Just looked again and it seems he's trying a dual motor build for his as well

Agreed.
KT posted a video about this and then updated his post showing someone went faster. I was something like 102 but not sure off the top of my head.
His long dual-motor off-road car went 101 mph so that would be roughly it. Either way, I think 102 or 103 would put you as the world record holder.

It seems like some belted off road tires are a must, but then need to also be wrapped with kevlar or fishing line to control the expansion.

I had also done some thinking on this and decided I won't try.... BUT if I was to ever do this I would try to remove the tires off the wheel with standard GRPs and then put thumbtacks through the tire. Then re-glue the tire back on. Basically, make a spiked snow tire so I could utilize a high-speed tire and get some grip in the grass.

I ran a Kraton at about 60mph on some wide-open soccer fields and the suspension travel over what looked like a smooth surface was shocking to see.

Last edited:
Not sure if I can find the video, but I saw a guy running an Xmaxx through some plowed under farm fields and he was high 80s/low 90s iirc...

I figured the 100mph club was pretty exclusive. I happen to have a park nearby with 20 or so adjacent soccer fields. They manicure this park pretty well, so I’m hoping some short hibernating grass field would be a perfect spot.
You gotta wait until the corn is waist high!!!!

A bigger challenge would be an rc detasseler.....

What has corn mowing dissolved into....

You gotta wait until the corn is waist high!!!!

A bigger challenge would be an rc detasseler.....

What has corn mowing dissolved into....
Hundred mile an hr corn detasseler..
👌🤣😂🤣

Haha, the soccer fields might be a good bet. I was going to see what kind of off road speeds I could hit in a giant dirt parking lot but realized how tiny of a bump/hole can send you flipping before I ever geared up enough for 60+. Not into speed runs enough to chance the carnage on my rigs. :ROFLMAO:

Hundred mile an hr corn detasseler..
👌🤣😂🤣
And to think all of this came from me watching one of his speed run videos on a highway next to a corn field.....

Get up to speed and veer off course just a little....

If he was next to a hay field he could mow hay.....

While the soccer field sounds like a nice idea, it's a bit of a short cut if I'm honest. This is just a personal view but, in my mind, the term "off-road" doesn't just mean that it's not on a road, but that there's some natural element to the terrain with at least some dips, bumps (nothing too extreme mind you as that will result in an endo so fast it'll make your head swim). I think this is part of what makes off-road speed running so much more difficult to judge because, while all roads are different, the variation from off-road stretch to off-road stretch is going to vary wildly. Like said, this is just my personal view on the topic. If a soccer field counts, what about an astro-turf football field that's perfectly smooth? Technically it's still "off-road" but I think you get the idea of what I'm driving at (pun fully intended). Thoughts?

I think if people keep pursuing speed runs not on paved surfaces, there will need to be clear distinctions of what kind of "off road" surface. Groomed surfaces such as well kept sports fields and well maintained/graded dirt roads will allow higher speeds than ungroomed natural areas. Truly natural surfaces could be their own category, but even then, there are major advantages/disadvantages some may have with natural surfaces. Just speculation on my part, but I would think the best truly natural surface for off road speed runs would be the beach during low tide. Of course then you have to watch the salty moisture getting in your rig.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back