Typhon Oil and grease the struggle is real

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
Since i got my first rc car grease and oil has been my numper 1 enemy today i made my typhon dirty because it started to rain it was fun but now oh boy the nimare unleashed i remove a lot of the grease with paper i try to use minimum as possible i have put a butt load of grease arround the diff yokes in the rear because dirt was getting inside ?? 2hours later with a load of simple green dishsoap i fineshed cleaning the grease now i decided to open the rear diff and now i have to deal with oil i started having diffuclty breathingcoronavirus lol) i was upset and my father was right i clean stuff everyday and i put grease everywhere and waste paper. Im about to get the simple green concentrated formula instead now i have my bearings soaking on wd40 atm so thats not an issue. What do you guys use to kill oils i cant do this anymore brake cleaner is no for me and i try to not use anything poisonous obviously would simple green concentrated be the solution?
I have found crc electronic cleaner doing impressive results but out of stock at my stores and its poisonous but says safe for plastics

Don't surround your diff with grease, just makes it a frickin' mess.

Wipe as much off, motor spray or simple green for me.

sounds like your using too much to begin with, and yes simple green or any other degreaser will work excellent (purple power, formula 409 etc..) But simple green is my favorite to use, a little goes a long way. to make it less messy get 2 cans one slightly smaller than the other & poke few small holes in it (even 2 plastic cups can work). The idea is, you add your parts in small can, dunk that in the larger can. And every now and than you can shake it, or scrub it with an old toothbrush. you can easily lift the small can to get your parts out. The simple green will drain, due to small holes you made. I think this might help, or cut up an old shirt so you have some cleaning rags, so you wont get in trouble due to wasting paper.

maybe it'll cut down on mess & clutter for you

1591059945169.png

this is pretty much what I explained, its meant for bearings but obviously you can put whatever parts you want in it. And since your making it you can make it as big or small as you need. Im new to rc, but also into bicycles, which involve grease, oil & bearings. So its a similar situation

Good luck,

Last edited:
I’ve never had any issue with grease or oil. What problem is it causing?

Don't surround your diff with grease, just makes it a frickin' mess.

Wipe as much off, motor spray or simple green for me.
Got dirt inside my diff
I’ve never had any issue with grease or oil. What problem is it causing?
Cnt get rid of it
sounds like your using too much to begin with, and yes simple green or any other degreaser will work excellent (purple power, formula 409 etc..) But simple green is my favorite to use, a little goes a long way. to make it less messy get 2 cans one slightly smaller than the other & poke few small holes in it (even 2 plastic cups can work). The idea is, you add your parts in small can, dunk that in the larger can. And every now and than you can shake it, or scrub it with an old toothbrush. you can easily lift the small can to get your parts out. The simple green will drain, due to small holes you made. I think this might help, or cut up an old shirt so you have some cleaning rags, so you wont get in trouble due to wasting paper.

maybe it'll cut down on mess & clutter for you

View attachment 83772

this is pretty much what I explained, its meant for bearings but obviously you can put whatever parts you want in it. And since your making it you can make it as big or small as you need. Im new to rc, but also into bicycles, which involve grease, oil & bearings. So its a similar situation

Good luck,
Simple green doesn't do much atm at least in its 50-50 mix going to try the concentrated formula

As long as the oil is coming from the inside, the dust can't get in from the outside :)
(I see I didn't clean the top shock after replacing the oil)

I'm using a lot of light weight shock oil inside my diff house (not the differential)

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_192625.jpg
    IMG_20200530_192625.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 40
I was thinking of making a thread on this but if your looking for a alternative to brake cleaner, you might want to try out Ed's Red. Old school gun cleaning recipe.

: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner  1 part Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.  1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1 (such as for burning in heaters)  1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (Varsol)

I mixed up a gallon of this years ago and still using it. Works pretty good cleaning out diffs and I use this indoors.
Hope it helps!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back