Kraton Oil, grease..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aclewis

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I was looking for suggestions on diff oil for front, center, and rear... also, what should I use to live my bearings? Grease etc....... also looking to venue the shock oil, what should I use for that also?..

I was looking for suggestions on diff oil for front, center, and rear... also, what should I use to live my bearings? Grease etc....... also looking to venue the shock oil, what should I use for that also?..
I use Losi and Team Associated shock oil and diff lube. I usually get it from Horizon Hobby stores, or, if i don't need it right away, ill have it shipped, since the nearest HH store is 120 miles from me. For O-Ring grease, its probably not the correct stuff, but, so far, i haven't had any issues, but i use Oateys 100% silicone plumbing grease from Lowes. It comes in a small round white container, and here it is about $4, versus the green slime grease that is a bit expensive for a small tube. For bearings, i use a needle applicator bottle i got from Hobby Lobby, and sewing machine oil. As i don't have a Kraton, i wont try and guess which oil weights to use with it. Someone else should have a proper answer for that question though.

OK, do you know what the proper stuff is for the O-rings? For all I know, it could be called bearing grease LOL I got a new bearing kit but I don’t want them to squeak like hell ?

You don’t want grease in your bearings, you want oil. Grease adds drag. The reason why some use grease is to make them last super long. If that’s your goal, then go ahead and use grease. But if you want speed at the cost of longevity, go with specific bearing oil.

As for diffs, Team Associated silicone diff oil is all I’ve used but they all are pretty similar enough that brand shouldn’t matter too much. Stock Kraton 6S fluids are F10k C100k R10k which is OK for track use, but bashers prefer much higher weights, usually F50k C500k R30k or so. It’s a personal choice. Some go as high as 2M in the center or 100k in the front and rear. There is not really a right or wrong here. It’s what you like. Oil is cheap enough that experimentation is a good idea.

As far as shock oil, I would think 1000 cst would be a good baseline for those shocks. Again it’s a personal preference so adjust accordingly to your style of driving and environments.

OK, do you know what the proper stuff is for the O-rings? For all I know, it could be called bearing grease LOL I got a new bearing kit but I don’t want them to squeak like hell ?
The stuff most people recommend for O-rings is this: https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-factory-team-green-slime-asc1105/p3068
For the diffs, you can find oil specifically for the diffs at just about any hobby shop, Ebay, or Amazon. Same with shock oil.
For the bearings, i use this: https://www.joann.com/singer-machine-oil-4-oz-squeeze-bottle/1024165.html I use these bottles to apply it: https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...ades/Needle-Tip-Applicator-Bottles/p/80913970 Some say you can also use 3-in-1 oil, but i have never tried it. The trick is to clean the bearings, which i use brake cleaner from Autozone for, and then, once they are dry, apply a couple drops of the sewing machine oil, and roll them around a few times to work the oil in. Some say not to use brake cleaner on them though, so, it is all a matter of opinion.

Would 2 stroke oil work? I originally tried wd40 and that did jack squat ?
image.jpg

That's pretty much just castor oil..... very long time basher here.... on kraton 6s for example. For my bearings I run high speed roller skate oil. One drop per visible bearing every time I take it out... I strip bearings out and replace about every 30 to 50 packs... you can find full sets for $20 so why not... as far as diffs. 60 front,1 million center, 100,000 rear. For my front and rear diff mesh I use Lucas high rack synthetic grease. Maybe every 10 packs I will spray a dry lube in all the hinge points and moving parts that d ok not have a bearing.... only bearings I have ever had blow out are clutchbell bearings on the nitros.
Wd40 is not a lubricant... it's a water displacement. Hence W D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back