Kraton Oil Leakage OOTB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shockwaver

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
It finally arrived!!! OMG I am speechless.. it's a MONSTER waaay bigger than I expected!
Stunning, really a Beauty and a Beast. Cannot shoot and post photos coz I'm at the office at the moment.

However, immediately after fetching my own jaw from the floor, I lifted the body and I noticed a wide leakage leftover on the top of the chassis (from the inside). I can't tell where it came out from, but from the position It's almost certain from (one of) the diffs. Is this normal OOTB? Can I risk a few soft first runs? Or should I immediately go through all the diffs for check and refill?

I hope I can post some photos in an hour or so during lunch break.

Silicon fluid can sometimes leak out of the differentials if they sit on a shelf for a while. It sucks when it's new, but in reality.... you will be messing with the diffs anyway once you start getting into the Kraton. That's one problem with a ready to run. It's not so ready to run now. I would contact Arrma and see what they say first. This isn't a big deal if you are use to wrenching... but it can be a pain to take a new Kraton center diff out for the first time. It may have to be addressed before you run it.

Word of advice !!!!!

Don't try to remove any bolt that feels too tight.... it's covered in loctite. It may need heat from a soldering iron first. If you are use to wrenching on RC's. Not a big deal.

Totally new at wrenching...:(
Ok I'll try and contact ARRMA.
However I took a look at this thread where at post #4 @OrangeDRAGON is talking about a spray they put at factory. Could this be the case?? Damn I really want to take a few soft runs in the next days!!:mad:

It could be just a spray... but wide leakage sounded like silicon fluid leak. Hopefully it isn't.

Please stay tuned, I will post couple of photos in minutes...
However my first few runs would be with no jumps, on 3s....:angelic:

Edit:
Wide as footprint leftover on chassis...

Darn! I gave a better look... It's the center diff...
What should I do??
IMG_0158.JPG IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0165.JPG

Or not?o_O
The diff box looks dry all around...
IMG_0167.JPG

Last edited:
Based on the photos, Im 99% sure its just overspray from factory oiling. Mine was as bad or worse, and when I disassembled the diffs they were filled appropriately.

That said, rebuilding the diffs with the viscosity fluid of your choice as well as shimming them is worth the investment in time!

Congrats on the new truck!!

Ok then.
I already bought a 100k, I will get it next monday.
Until then I will anyway have the possibility to gently run it on 3s even just for seeing my lil kid WOWing at it...
And also the time to instruct myself in how to rebuild a diff... Speaking of which, do you have links to guides / tutorials on the matter?

Thanks!! It's purely a beast.. can't wai to run it, hopefully tonight!!

Yeah... mine was like that also. Looks like you are fine.

There is no Lipo shut down for 3S in that ESC. Only 4S and 6S.

Uops... that means both I cannot have a slow start AND that my wife has to learn 4s... first bad new....

You might be able to set the ESC to Nickel Metal Hydride and just run it on 3S for a few minutes. I never tried 3S or even 4S but I do know.....on 5S, you have to use a Lipo alarm and set the ESC to a non Lipo battery like NiMh. If you want to just tool it around a little...it should work. Just shut it down in a few mins so you don't wreck the battery. It is a good idea to take it easy at first....smartest thing someone can do with a new RC.

Man....3S will be so under powered. Will it even move ? :)

I would put a 4s pack or 2 through it and then decide/change your fluid of choice, probably with at least heavier center diff fluid. Even with diffs underfilled, gears still have lubrication. New gears will break in and foul up stock fluid. No point in fouling up your fluid when your ready to try your new beast! 2 of my 3 Arrmas came with some oil on the chassis. I say go break that baby in!

Ok then.
I already bought a 100k, I will get it next monday.
Until then I will anyway have the possibility to gently run it on 3s even just for seeing my lil kid WOWing at it...
And also the time to instruct myself in how to rebuild a diff... Speaking of which, do you have links to guides / tutorials on the matter?

Thanks!! It's purely a beast.. can't wai to run it, hopefully tonight!!
I just rebuilt mine and shimmed using this vid from Thomas. Check out his site on YouTube.

Congratulations on buying the Kraton, smart buy, very smart. I have bought many RC over the years and found Arrma (especially Kraton and Talion) to be far better than anything else. With a few small mods, they are bulletproof. I bought a ERevo two months ago to see what they were like, sold it after 3 weeks. A few mods I recomend , sealed bearings all around, wing mount M4 bolt upgrade, servo mount upgrade, Savox 1270 servo, 200thousand center diff fluid, 80 thousand rear and 100 thousand front. Be careful with tires, while doing wheelies the front tires will balloon. Let off the throttle or they will ripp appart .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back