Granite OK , I'm definitely Alice in wonderland and now I am stuck down the rabbit hole .. I really should have taken the blue pill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jammer339

Reaction score
So I purchased my first hobby rc car recently , that being the Granite blx 3s v3 as some of you know.

Now I've spend alot of hours reading forums, watching videos etc about upgrades , things that break easily etc. I want a durable truck that I don't have to repair and fix every time I use it.

Obviously I know things break and will need replacing , but I want to try and reduce that from the word go.

First of all , why isn't the newer arrma 3s line as good as it could be right out the box ? They know which parts fail and have since made their own upgrades as well as after market stuff. Is this a marketing ploy ,knowing that people will then spend out on the upgraded parts ?

Now to get on topic on what this post is really about ! I haven't even turned the wheels yet and have found myself spending on alot of these upgrades, due to content I've seen online.

So far I've purchased:
.Typhon wider rpm arms and turnbuckles.
.New Zdee shocks and shock oil
.Upgraded motor mount
.New servo and saver
.Complete metal pivot ball set
.Outcast rear wing and mount
.3d printed roof ,bonnet(hood) and rear spoiler bars
.Dust cover
.nuts,bolts and washers.

I'm going to change all these parts before I use the vehicle , so I suppose at least I have spares of the stock variety. But jeez this rabbit hole is deep. With batteries, charger and leads I've nearly spend the same amount as what the car cost me to begin with.

I don't know how so many of you can have multiple cars . But I respect it and envy it lol.

Oh man! Take it out and have fun with it! That's what they're for. Don't go too crazy trying to make it bullet proof. Sometimes the weak points are so you don't break the more expensive stuff.
I knew that was the advice I needed to hear! I don't want to make it bullet proof. Just durable. I wanted to change drive shafts after reading so many negative things about them. But I'm going to run the stock ones for now and see how they hold up.

I got mine as a shelf queen but thinking 🤔 on buy a 2 one because granite are so much fun buy waiting on arrma to see if they gonna come whit something crazy like always

I spent a lot of money on my first Arrma, a Typhon 3s, to make it more bulletproof. Based on how I actually run the Typhon (no big jumps), I found out most of my upgrades were more nice-to-have items rather than need-to-have items, and I could have done without most of them. I didn't make the same mistake with my Infraction 3s: other than the tires and ESC, I'm staying stock until or if things break.

The thing is they are all going to break and its hard to say what specific issues you will deal with until you go bash with it. While some parts are more prone to breaking than others, there are other factors that will make the same rig break in different places for 2 different people. Your driving style will matter a lot as well as the terrain. How you crash will determine a good bit, going for big air and landing bad will break things differently than rolling it over hard, etc.

Best thing to do is get busy bashing and keep reading and learning like you already have been doing. :cool:

I spent a lot of money on my first Arrma, a Typhon 3s, to make it more bulletproof. Based on how I actually run the Typhon (no big jumps), I found out most of my upgrades were more nice-to-have items rather than need-to-have items, and I could have done without most of them. I didn't make the same mistake with my Infraction 3s: other than the tires and ESC, I'm staying stock until or if things break.
This will probably be a similar venture. Although i have yet to decide how i want to drive the thing.

I like the infraction. Will get one of those eventually. What body do you have ?
The thing is they are all going to break and its hard to say what specific issues you will deal with until you go bash with it. While some parts are more prone to breaking than others, there are other factors that will make the same rig break in different places for 2 different people. Your driving style will matter a lot as well as the terrain. How you crash will determine a good bit, going for big air and landing bad will break things differently than rolling it over hard, etc.

Best thing to do is get busy bashing and keep reading and learning like you already have been doing. :cool:
Yea you're right , I guess I'll learn more with the hands on experience of actually using the darn thing!

Look into the 6s line they are much more durable. Especially if you're interested in the Infraction, 6s ATW! 😎 Then..the rabbit hole will get deeper AND wider!
White Rabbit GIF

I know they helpful
So I purchased my first hobby rc car recently , that being the Granite blx 3s v3 as some of you know.

Now I've spend alot of hours reading forums, watching videos etc about upgrades , things that break easily etc. I want a durable truck that I don't have to repair and fix every time I use it.

Obviously I know things break and will need replacing , but I want to try and reduce that from the word go.

First of all , why isn't the newer arrma 3s line as good as it could be right out the box ? They know which parts fail and have since made their own upgrades as well as after market stuff. Is this a marketing ploy ,knowing that people will then spend out on the upgraded parts ?

Now to get on topic on what this post is really about ! I haven't even turned the wheels yet and have found myself spending on alot of these upgrades, due to content I've seen online.

So far I've purchased:
.Typhon wider rpm arms and turnbuckles.
.New Zdee shocks and shock oil
.Upgraded motor mount
.New servo and saver
.Complete metal pivot ball set
.Outcast rear wing and mount
.3d printed roof ,bonnet(hood) and rear spoiler bars
.Dust cover
.nuts,bolts and washers.

I'm going to change all these parts before I use the vehicle , so I suppose at least I have spares of the stock variety. But jeez this rabbit hole is deep. With batteries, charger and leads I've nearly spend the same amount as what the car cost me to begin with.

I don't know how so many of you can have multiple cars . But I respect it and envy it lol.
I think you should start driving it as is. I wouldn't add the wide arms yet until you feel you have good control. The stock short arms will be more forgiving to bad crashes.

Same with the shocks. Your better off destroying the stock ones before upgrading.

Keep the pivot balls to switch as the stock ones wear out.

The servo is a good idea because the stock ones won't last long.

The wing is good too since it will protect the rear of the body.

I suggest reinforcing the body also.

What did you get for upgraded motor mount? The 6mm motor plate is a simple upgrade that will help keep your spur from getting eaten.

The 3S plastic line up is just the gateway drug..
Gives you an quick thrill , large corporations know how to hook you in.. and Make you wanting more.

I started just a year ago... With a pre-owned Granite 3S BLX..
Now I have 2 of those, 3 Sentons, a Vendetta, 2 Kraton 6S, Mojave 6S, Infraction 6S and another FAST 6S 🙊

I'm addicted 🤣

I purposely let my 3 and 5 year old’s break things to improve durability while minimizing weight, call it a proactive & reactive approach!

I know they helpful

I think you should start driving it as is. I wouldn't add the wide arms yet until you feel you have good control. The stock short arms will be more forgiving to bad crashes.

Same with the shocks. Your better off destroying the stock ones before upgrading.

Keep the pivot balls to switch as the stock ones wear out.

The servo is a good idea because the stock ones won't last long.

The wing is good too since it will protect the rear of the body.

I suggest reinforcing the body also.

What did you get for upgraded motor mount? The 6mm motor plate is a simple upgrade that will help keep your spur from getting eaten.
OK thanks for the heads up. Will defo look at running the stock arms and shocks to start with.
The motor mount was some unbranded thing from China. I don't know if it will be any better than the stock one. Its difficult to get certain parts here in the UK . The gpm one looks alot more substantial but the price was £45 asapose to £12 for the one I've got coming.
To order from the USA cost more in postage and taxes then the actual part cost :(

I have a Granite and Bigrock, the wing addition has been the best upgrade. Protects the rear of the body. 8 year old grandson runs the heck out of both. He bent to motor plate on the Granite, bought the upgraded one from arrma. Bigrock keeps on ticking. Each has one shock bottom come off I re-glued. Used zip ties to minimize the shock travel problems solved. Very durable fix as you go.

Part of the joy of RC is all the rabbit holes, just waiting for you to explore.
I have ~40 cars in my garage and I am pretty sure over the years I have spent more time wrenching on them than driving. A lot has been learnt and the main thing think I have learnt it not everything needs to be upgraded/replaced. Some things are made to break to stop other parts from being damaged.

Most of the time I have found the best approach (for me anyways) is to drive them and then you find the weak spots naturally. My ebay account went thought a period of lots of replacement parts being ordered on a Sunday night after a weekend of wrenching and fun.

The more you wrench the more you learn and from there you can get an idea of the likely failure points on a chassis.

This will probably be a similar venture. Although i have yet to decide how i want to drive the thing.

I like the infraction. Will get one of those eventually. What body do you have ?
I have the stock teal and black body. I've added a front splitter and chassis side skirts for improved aerodynamics (pic below).

Infraction 3s chassis with skirts and splitter.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back