Ok this one is waaaay off subject!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was very sound advice. I too have not been afraid of anything as bad as I'm afraid of this surgery. Thanks for sharing that story with me. It was yet another very truthful and real experience shared to me and will most definitely roll through my mind while deciding if Im gonna go through it or not. Your thoughts about fear was said in a way that will really stand out in my mind. Thank you so much!
Ugh. Pain makes it difficult to sleep. At least it’s the foot I broked last week ago and not my neck this time 🤣

You got this Nate! Remember what I said about talking to a couple-three different surgeons. I found between the three I talked to each had a slightly different approach and opinion on what to do. The only opinion that all three shared equally was that I needed the surgery quick or I was screwed. I forget how old you are but remember every year after 30 you heal a bit slower. So if this is something you cannot avoid, don’t wait. But to truly understand if you can not avoid this you need to research. Hopefully this will work for you and you can go back to a normal life. My situation wasn’t necessarily normal because my damage was extreme and then I made it worse by not listening.

What are they doing for drugs? What you’re describing in your arms is neuropathy, nerve issues. I tried several different drugs. One called garpantion (I don’t think I spelled it right) made me feel like I was losing my mind and I wanted to die but it works fantastically on my wife (Her chemo treatments caused pretty bad neuropathy) After months of experimentation we found that lyrica works for me. When I worked full time I had to be careful though, if I take too much i walk like Captain Jack Sparrow all drunk like. But it works. Sometimes I forget to take it and my body reminds me by those weird pains shooting up and down my arms and my legs into my hands and feet.

Whatever you get put on just watch yourself. Tell your wife to notice if you withdraw or start acting different, more emotional. Also…it’s good to cry. Screw being tough. When you feel like you’re falling apart and can’t take it anymore, find someone you trust that you can break down too. It really helps. I finally broke down in 2019 to my mom. Admitted I was cracked and I needed help. Now if I’m cracking from the pain and the anxiety it causes I go to my wife. She’s my angel.

Take it easy buddy. I have rattled on enough now. Go do your research, lots of it. Make sure this is the right thing for you and your body. You can’t undo this so really look into it and make sure. Peace 🙃

They use surgical stainless steel and titanium typically.
It’s cool, looks kind of like bike chain links and I can see the screw threads driven into each vertebrae in the x-rays. I’ve always wondered if they use Phillips head or hex head. I think they’re only four or 5 mm long and are more of a wood style thread.

All I know is my titanium urn will rattle. My wife or younger brother will have engraved “Shake Doug for luck!” on the bottom.

Ugh. Pain makes it difficult to sleep. At least it’s the foot I broked last week ago and not my neck this time 🤣

You got this Nate! Remember what I said about talking to a couple-three different surgeons. I found between the three I talked to each had a slightly different approach and opinion on what to do. The only opinion that all three shared equally was that I needed the surgery quick or I was screwed. I forget how old you are but remember every year after 30 you heal a bit slower. So if this is something you cannot avoid, don’t wait. But to truly understand if you can not avoid this you need to research. Hopefully this will work for you and you can go back to a normal life. My situation wasn’t necessarily normal because my damage was extreme and then I made it worse by not listening.

What are they doing for drugs? What you’re describing in your arms is neuropathy, nerve issues. I tried several different drugs. One called garpantion (I don’t think I spelled it right) made me feel like I was losing my mind and I wanted to die but it works fantastically on my wife (Her chemo treatments caused pretty bad neuropathy) After months of experimentation we found that lyrica works for me. When I worked full time I had to be careful though, if I take too much i walk like Captain Jack Sparrow all drunk like. But it works. Sometimes I forget to take it and my body reminds me by those weird pains shooting up and down my arms and my legs into my hands and feet.

Whatever you get put on just watch yourself. Tell your wife to notice if you withdraw or start acting different, more emotional. Also…it’s good to cry. Screw being tough. When you feel like you’re falling apart and can’t take it anymore, find someone you trust that you can break down too. It really helps. I finally broke down in 2019 to my mom. Admitted I was cracked and I needed help. Now if I’m cracking from the pain and the anxiety it causes I go to my wife. She’s my angel.

Take it easy buddy. I have rattled on enough now. Go do your research, lots of it. Make sure this is the right thing for you and your body. You can’t undo this so really look into it and make sure. Peace 🙃
I am on the same boat as you but on a much smaller scale. I couldnt take Gabapentin either cause it made me angry all the time for no reason.
They are I told them from the start that I don't want anything narcotic unless I have one of those really bad days. So far I have held up pretty good and resisted any narcotic medication (pain pills). I do however take Diazepam to help me stay mellow and to help me at least be able to sleep even if for a short time. Sleeping has been my worse enemy as I basically sleep for short periods of time a few times within a 24hr period. The Dr. has put in a recommendation for me to also see a Dr. to talk to about how to deal with my pain better (mentally) as my whole demeanor has been very different since all of this happened. I spoke to two of the best surgeons in the state and they both said the exact same thing to the T.
Its just a choice from this point on and people like you help me way more than I can explain....and all coming from someone who is going through his own troubles right now. I wish you and yours the very best. Thank you so very much!

I asked the Surgeon for Torx. He said his SNAPON tools work better with hex heads. :LOL: And he actually uses Snapon not Snapoff's.
I thought he was joking.

I am on the same boat as you but on a much smaller scale. I couldnt take Gabapentin either cause it made me angry all the time for no reason.
They are I told them from the start that I don't want anything narcotic unless I have one of those really bad days. So far I have held up pretty good and resisted any narcotic medication (pain pills). I do however take Diazepam to help me stay mellow and to help me at least be able to sleep even if for a short time. Sleeping has been my worse enemy as I basically sleep for short periods of time a few times within a 24hr period. The Dr. has put in a recommendation for me to also see a Dr. to talk to about how to deal with my pain better (mentally) as my whole demeanor has been very different since all of this happened. I spoke to two of the best surgeons in the state and they both said the exact same thing to the T.
Its just a choice from this point on and people like you help me way more than I can explain....and all coming from someone who is going through his own troubles right now. I wish you and yours the very best. Thank you so very much!
I’ve been through the sleepless thing badly. Now that my head is more in place it’s not as bad. But pain still interferes at times. So yeah, grab sleep when you can but you gotta get deep sleep to heal. Take the gabapentin at night, actually it will pull you into a deep sleep if you can get to sleep in the first place. That’s what trazodone is for, to get your sleep started. Ask your doctor about Trazadone for sleep and gabapentian to Take you to the deep sleep level. Your body only heals in a deep sleep stage. Cat naps make you feel better but deep sleep is where you heal. It’s technically a muscle relaxer but it knocks you out without weird side effects.

Tramadol is a safe pain meditation. I think it’s just class three and not even really considered a narcotic. It’s not addictive and doesn’t make me angry or tense like Vicodin and norco does. It works really good with my nerve pain. It may help you get by until surgery and improve your attitude. Wouldn’t believe how relaxing it is to be mostly pain free for a little while when it’s become normal to hurt all the time.

Having an experienced good pain doctor really helps. One that knows natural and medical solutions. You must be careful with drugs but if used right they do really help. I spent many years trying to avoid and just deal with things. It caused me more harm than good in the end. My ex-wife ruined her and both of our lives with Opioid addiction so I was scared. But if done right it’s okay I’ve discovered.

Getting your head straight is hard but you can. Seek help, talk about it but don’t dwell in it. I have found that depression is ruminating about the past and anxiety is fear of the future. They feed off each other, So getting control of one helps with the other. That’s why I say accept things now. Stop dwelling in the past and living in what you were. Start looking at the cool things that the future holds just by being alive and able to function. And definitely take everything you got that you love in your heart and hold it tight. It gets better it really does. You sound like you’re on the right track. So keep it up 🙃

I had to get off the pain meds. I became a vegetable after a week. Could not even think or function. Alleve helped alot. The meds really screw with your intestines. stomach and liver also. Be careful. I actually preferred some pain over being a Zombie in bed all day long. Too depressing.
Depression keeps you from healing fast. Try hard to move around. Circulation helps the healing process and breaks down scar tissue, which hurts you down the road.
Get well.:)

My knee has Ti hex bolts.
Yeah I’m thinking they’d be more likely to use hex over Phillips head. I’m gonna ask my pain doctor next time I see him for fun. I wonder what the drill and electric screwdriver looks like that they use…think they have to pre-drill holes?

I had an anterior approach total disc replacement in my lumbar spine. They went in at my waist, moved my aorta and descending colon, and put in two pieces of cobalt with a silicone disc. It took awhile, but I recovered beautifully. I raced downhill internationally and did lots of freeride and 24-hour MTB marathons plus all the training for another 6 years. I eventually felt like I was beat up too much, and "retired" (maybe I have videos somewhere), but I would not have had those fabulous years to find the top of my form again. I say do it!

Watch your ass with pain meds. I'm to stubborn and controlling to let problems with narcs develop, put people around me have gotten into some deep, deep trouble over the pills. I'm talking death or jail. Ch-chickity check your self.

WHO KNEW A BUNCH OF CRAZY RC ABUSING SPEED RUNNING FREAKS ;)COULD BE SOME OF THE BEST PEOPLE SO FAR TO TALK TO ABOUT MY LIFE ALTERING SITUATION/DECISION?!?!? I'M SOOO APPRECIATIVE FOR ALL OF YOU FOR SHOWING SOME LOVE!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back