Ok this one is waaaay off subject!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Mango

🤪I swear the voices are real!🤪
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
I got hurt on the job and got me an RC to pass the time while healing which has brought back the RC addiction. Anyway I have been not working because of my injury since Early 2020. Bottom line is they want to make a 2inch cut on the front of my neck...move everything thats in the way to the side so they can get to my cervical spine...take out pieces between vertebrae and also from in the where my spinal cord is....then take bone from my hip to replace some of the bone they take out and cap it all off with a metal plate (fusion).
Basically the plate is like a stronger shock tower (to use lingo everyone on this forum knows.) HAHAHAHA!!!
I'm not going to lie, I AM SCARED SH!TLESS OF THIS SURGERY! Its the putting very sharp objects right next to my spinal cord that scares me. My other option is to live with pain for the rest of my life. Which even with the surgery I'll still have pain in my neck but the pain wont go down my arms like it is now.
Soooooo anyone have thoughts or personal experiences like or kind like this? Any advice or thoughts?

I got hurt on the job and got me an RC to pass the time while healing which has brought back the RC addiction. Anyway I have been not working because of my injury since Early 2020. Bottom line is they want to make a 2inch cut on the front of my neck...move everything thats in the way to the side so they can get to my cervical spine...take out pieces between vertebrae and also from in the where my spinal cord is....then take bone from my hip to replace some of the bone they take out and cap it all off with a metal plate (fusion).
Basically the plate is like a stronger shock tower (to use lingo everyone on this forum knows.) HAHAHAHA!!!
I'm not going to lie, I AM SCARED SH!TLESS OF THIS SURGERY! Its the putting very sharp objects right next to my spinal cord that scares me. My other option is to live with pain for the rest of my life. Which even with the surgery I'll still have pain in my neck but the pain wont go down my arms like it is now.
Soooooo anyone have thoughts or personal experiences like or kind like this? Any advice or thoughts?
My wife just had a similar procedure….and she is in noticeably less pain & numbness in her hand is almost gone…so I think it was best thing she could have done. It’s a workmen’s comp issue that has dragged on for almost dozen years. So I get your apprehension, but I think in the long run you’re going to feel much relief.

I can't help you with that decision as I have never had a surgery before, but a few family members have had various back surgeries including my cousin who is recovering from a fusion surgery Tuesday and she said she feels better than b4 surgery and hasn't even fully healed yet. I say pray/ meditate about the decision and really think about the cost/benefit of the surgery. You have my prayer though, I wish you the best on your road to recovery.

Hey there, I had this surgery about 10 years ago with success. I was scared too by the way, same excuse as yours. I delayed it for about 8 years. After the surgery I immediately regretted putting it off. Those Neurosurgeons know what they are doing. I would recommend you getting it done sooner than later and get on with your life and the RC hobby. Only thing that was an inconvenience was wearing the neck brace for 6 weeks.

Damn! I am lucky enough to have zero experience with this. Good luck to you!

I did have rather severe back pains that made my life miserable for several months and took years to heal up, but what I had seems to be nothing compared to you!

that's a big risk.to have that done. iam 51 and live with pain every day in my back neck and elbow's.

My father had something similar done about 25 years ago. He was paralyzed because of an accident and this was the only solution if he wanted any mobility back. He ended up being partially paralyzed, but it was a way better outcome than being in a chair the rest of his life. Mind you, he's stubborn as a bull, and he had no fear of what they were doing at the time, and in the end, it worked out for the best anyone could've hoped for. Obviously this is life altering stuff, but you've already felt that having the accident. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you come out of it feeling you made the right one. Too bad my crystal ball is broken or I might have been able to look into the future and give you the solid answer you probably need.💪💪👊

I'm not trying to sway you in either direction. I think you need to know this though. However, they've probably already told you what "could" happen.

They (meaning doctors and hospital) are not responsible for nicking a nerve and you losing the ability to do anything. OR, paralyzed totally for that matter. I have a close friend that just had this surgery done. Massive pain before the operation. His neck is now fused and he's out of pain BUT he's lost the ability to move his legs like he used to. He's uses a cane or a walker now. Before the surgery he couldn't move his legs much either due to pain. His situation might be a little different than yours. One of his vertebrae was pushing into his spinal cord. Without the surgery it would have eventually paralyzed him.

Why would you pass up an opportunity to become an android? :ROFLMAO: Also the scene from predator with the spine hanging from a tree...I mean hey.

Seriously, the surgeons know their stuff. If it didn't scare you, I would question your sanity. It always seems worse than it is until their done. When you look back you will wonder why you were so freaked out.

My dad has had six back surgeries. Because he waited so long is why he had so many. Also he had fell on his tailbone so they had to pull the fusion out.I know its scary but i would go for it and get it done. My wife had siatic nerve surgery done one her back and it made a world of difference in her pain and mobilty.

Hey there, I had this surgery about 10 years ago with success. I was scared too by the way, same excuse as yours. I delayed it for about 8 years. After the surgery I immediately regretted putting it off. Those Neurosurgeons know what they are doing. I would recommend you getting it done sooner than later and get on with your life and the RC hobby. Only thing that was an inconvenience was wearing the neck brace for 6 weeks.

Damn! I am lucky enough to have zero experience with this. Good luck to you!

I did have rather severe back pains that made my life miserable for several months and took years to heal up, but what I had seems to be nothing compared to you!

that's a big risk.to have that done. iam 51 and live with pain every day in my back neck and elbow's.

My father had something similar done about 25 years ago. He was paralyzed because of an accident and this was the only solution if he wanted any mobility back. He ended up being partially paralyzed, but it was a way better outcome than being in a chair the rest of his life. Mind you, he's stubborn as a bull, and he had no fear of what they were doing at the time, and in the end, it worked out for the best anyone could've hoped for. Obviously this is life altering stuff, but you've already felt that having the accident. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you come out of it feeling you made the right one. Too bad my crystal ball is broken or I might have been able to look into the future and give you the solid answer you probably need.💪💪👊

I'm not trying to sway you in either direction. I think you need to know this though. However, they've probably already told you what "could" happen.

They (meaning doctors and hospital) are not responsible for nicking a nerve and you losing the ability to do anything. OR, paralyzed totally for that matter. I have a close friend that just had this surgery done. Massive pain before the operation. His neck is now fused and he's out of pain BUT he's lost the ability to move his legs like he used to. He's uses a cane or a walker now. Before the surgery he couldn't move his legs much either due to pain. His situation might be a little different than yours. One of his vertebrae was pushing into his spinal cord. Without the surgery it would have eventually paralyzed him.

Why would you pass up an opportunity to become an android? :ROFLMAO: Also the scene from predator with the spine hanging from a tree...I mean hey.

Seriously, the surgeons know their stuff. If it didn't scare you, I would question your sanity. It always seems worse than it is until their done. When you look back you will wonder why you were so freaked out.

My dad has had six back surgeries. Because he waited so long is why he had so many. Also he had fell on his tailbone so they had to pull the fusion out.I know its scary but i would go for it and get it done. My wife had siatic nerve surgery done one her back and it made a world of difference in her pain and mobilty.

Thank all you you for your kind words and also for some laughs! I appreciate those that shared their own personal experiences that you or someone you know went through. I am so 50/50 about it and I'm always asking people for their opinions and thoughts about it so as to help me with my decision.
Dr. says family is the best people to talk about this with and I did.....and did again with you guys! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!
Ok nuff of the mushy $h!t....get back to bashing and speed running! hahaha Thanks again!

Yes. Mid October, 2016 my cervical spine displaced close to a centimeter. After going through two car windshields, dozens of Mountain biking head plants and concussions among many many other injuries over 30 years… my neck went out. Since it could’ve broken with a hard pat on the back or a minor fall I was set up for rather quick surgery. Though it was fast, I still made sure to interview three different surgeons. I made the decision to just fuse 2-7, leaving me with decent mobility.

November 2016 I had a 12 hour surgery. They cut the back of my neck open 11 inches and 5 inches on the front of my neck. They fused c2-7, using a network of titanium and stainless steel. I wore a neck brace and couldn’t move much for two months. Then I was able to start working and doing some things but still had to wear the brace for another month. The pain was excruciating, but before the surgery the pain was excruciating so…yeah.

It sucks. But I healed well after close to a year. I even got back on my mountain bike. Four months later I fiddlesticked up T1-3. So if I have any good advice to give… don’t think you’ll ever be what you used to be after the surgery. Accept your new life and listen to your doctors.

I can’t get another surgery I already talked to the best spine guy in Texas and yeah, I can’t get another surgery. So I have a good pain doctor and 5 years post surgery I now deal with this through medication, which I had always avoided before, just taking the pain. Which was stupid now that I’m on medication. I didn’t need to put myself through that. It wrecked me, the never ending pain more than the surgeries.

I also get epidural steroid injections every few of months and dozens of trigger point injections monthly. Below is the picture of the last epidural I did, you can see the hardware my neck. Man, if you get to this point in our life with this kind of damage you got a change everything. I’ll be 52 come April. My only regret right now is that I did not learn this lesson after the first surgery. Because I’d be a hell of a lot better off if I had. But life goes on, I can function, play with 8 year-old stepdaughter, love my wife, work part time and get by. I appreciate every minute of it.

This injury is what eventually led me to RC. Not being able to ride bikes at all anymore was killing me and I felt like I was losing my mind. I’m hyper adhd so always moving is necessary. This hobby helps that. Good luck buddy and keep your hopes up.

09D3BA01-0C7D-4531-BFCA-049A9FF54B76.png

Oh wow! That was inspirational! You been through a lot and have a very positive outlook at life still!
I was told that every now and then (forgot the percent) someone doesn't respond to injections and guess who falls in that percentile? hahah yea the epidural does absolutely nothing for me. I know that I am lucky in the fact that things could have been worse its nothing like what you been through but it seems like you had no choice. that I NEED the surgery.
What worries my family well it worries me too, is that I'm one who thinks hes invincible. I have a high tolerance for pain and do things that I shouldnt a lot of the time (before injury). I literally cut a huge Mango tree with a hand saw and machete. took about two months and no one believed I didnt use a chainsaw. I have been "that guy" my whole life. Right now in my eyes thankfully not my fiancés eyes I just look fat. But from a young age I took working out seriously. 9th grade I was repping 300+ on the bench. Doc says thats when it all started and over the years of being "that guy" that day at work was the straw that broke the camels back neck. haha. Thank you for sharing your experience with me as it is yet another story to put in the bank to help my decision. Thank you again and props for dealing with pain on a daily while holding your head up!

Oh wow! That was inspirational! You been through a lot and have a very positive outlook at life still!
I was told that every now and then (forgot the percent) someone doesn't respond to injections and guess who falls in that percentile? hahah yea the epidural does absolutely nothing for me. I know that I am lucky in the fact that things could have been worse its nothing like what you been through but it seems like you had no choice. that I NEED the surgery.
What worries my family well it worries me too, is that I'm one who thinks hes invincible. I have a high tolerance for pain and do things that I shouldnt a lot of the time (before injury). I literally cut a huge Mango tree with a hand saw and machete. took about two months and no one believed I didnt use a chainsaw. I have been "that guy" my whole life. Right now in my eyes thankfully not my fiancés eyes I just look fat. But from a young age I took working out seriously. 9th grade I was repping 300+ on the bench. Doc says thats when it all started and over the years of being "that guy" that day at work was the straw that broke the camels back neck. haha. Thank you for sharing your experience with me as it is yet another story to put in the bank to help my decision. Thank you again and props for dealing with pain on a daily while holding your head up!
Hey man, I’ve done what I have to do to function and you will too. We got a family, we need to function. I’ve been that guy too. Competitive cyclist since I was young. BMX, track and mountain bike. I am bred from circus people, my Great grandmother was a slack rope walker, grandmother was a trapeze artist and uncles tumblers with Barnum and Bailey in the early 1900s, so crazy is bred in me. I’ve also been in too many wrecks, fights and other…stuff. That was my 12th and final surgery. Half my face is rebuilt and plastic surgeried because my head/face was smushed going through the first windshield. I destroyed my knee racing track bikes, two surgeries. Tore out my shoulder working construction in Alaska, three surgeries on it. The second windshield I went through was a side windshield in 2008. That left me with a stutter and short term memory issues. Also tore my abdominal muscle wall.

After the screwup with my last surgery where they accidentally logged me in as ‘ready to be released’ and put me in a room with no monitoring machines or painkillers or a call button… I laid there in the worst pain of my life for some six hours until my mom came in to check on more and found what happened. I just can’t handle them anymore. I have so much metal in my body that I set off metal detectors when I go to the courthouse to file an eviction. So whatever you do make the surgery count. Listen to the damn doctors not yourself. You can’t do this poop anymore. Otherwise you’re in for a world of hurt and disappointment. Whenever you feel like you want to go get crazy just look into your wife’s eyes and think of how she would feel if she had to push you around in a wheelchair for the rest of your lives.

And whatever you do, make sure somebody is there when you are released from surgery and transferred to the recovery room. Make sure somebody is there to confirm you’re being taken care of. Even demand that the hospital let them stay the night with you that first night especially. I was in the midst of divorce during mine. I didn’t set up for anyone to check on me. I was lucky that my mom came in when she did. I also didn’t have my surgery at a major hospital, they put me in a small surgery center which I think was a mistake.

My new wife has had two surgeries since we got together over the last two years, The first one before Covid and the second one just happened a week ago. I made sure to be with her immediately after both surgeries. She just had a double mastectomy and it so happened that our first anniversary was the day after surgery. I used that reason to beat Covid protocols and basically said I wasn’t leaving. fiddlesticking arrest me, I wasn’t about to leave my wife at that moment.

I only accepted my current life in the last two years. Selling a couple of my bikes to buy another RC car showed me that I was moving on. I wish I’d been able to accept it sooner because I have now realized…that’s when the real healing begins. So look deep inside and decide what is most important. That rush from being crazy or the family you love (and being able to walk). You can find another hobby. Other interests, other things to give you that rush. So you’ll be okay.

It takes a really good doctor to do the epidural’s right. I have had three pain doctor over the last five years and only my current one has been able to get them to work. But I also stay awake during them, I don’t use anesthesia. I help guide him by what I feel as he’s running the gigantic needle up my spine. In the end he only discovered the right place to inject by accident. I had so much calcification in my vertebrae he couldn’t get through without risk of going in to far and paralyzing me. so I told him to unload the shot outside of the target area and it ended up being the right area. We just re-created that mistake a few weeks ago and I’m amazed at how well it’s working. Crazy how poop like this works.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you’ve got questions. People have told me that it doesn’t work when they try to pm me so just hit me up on here, if I don’t respond, and I’ll reach out to you. I guess I can PM others but can’t receive the initial reach out.
You got this brother, hang in there!

Hey man, I’ve done what I have to do to function and you will too. We got a family, we need to function. I’ve been that guy too. Competitive cyclist since I was young. BMX, track and mountain bike. I am bred from circus people, my Great grandmother was a slack rope walker, grandmother was a trapeze artist and uncles tumblers with Barnum and Bailey in the early 1900s, so crazy is bred in me. I’ve also been in too many wrecks, fights and other…stuff. That was my 12th and final surgery. Half my face is rebuilt and plastic surgeried because my head/face was smushed going through the first windshield. I destroyed my knee racing track bikes, two surgeries. Tore out my shoulder working construction in Alaska, three surgeries on it. The second windshield I went through was a side windshield in 2008. That left me with a stutter and short term memory issues. Also tore my abdominal muscle wall.

After the screwup with my last surgery where they accidentally logged me in as ‘ready to be released’ and put me in a room with no monitoring machines or painkillers or a call button… I laid there in the worst pain of my life for some six hours until my mom came in to check on more and found what happened. I just can’t handle them anymore. I have so much metal in my body that I set off metal detectors when I go to the courthouse to file an eviction. So whatever you do make the surgery count. Listen to the damn doctors not yourself. You can’t do this poop anymore. Otherwise you’re in for a world of hurt and disappointment. Whenever you feel like you want to go get crazy just look into your wife’s eyes and think of how she would feel if she had to push you around in a wheelchair for the rest of your lives.

And whatever you do, make sure somebody is there when you are released from surgery and transferred to the recovery room. Make sure somebody is there to confirm you’re being taken care of. Even demand that the hospital let them stay the night with you that first night especially. I was in the midst of divorce during mine. I didn’t set up for anyone to check on me. I was lucky that my mom came in when she did. I also didn’t have my surgery at a major hospital, they put me in a small surgery center which I think was a mistake.

My new wife has had two surgeries since we got together over the last two years, The first one before Covid and the second one just happened a week ago. I made sure to be with her immediately after both surgeries. She just had a double mastectomy and it so happened that our first anniversary was the day after surgery. I used that reason to beat Covid protocols and basically said I wasn’t leaving. fiddlesticking arrest me, I wasn’t about to leave my wife at that moment.

I only accepted my current life in the last two years. Selling a couple of my bikes to buy another RC car showed me that I was moving on. I wish I’d been able to accept it sooner because I have now realized…that’s when the real healing begins. So look deep inside and decide what is most important. That rush from being crazy or the family you love (and being able to walk). You can find another hobby. Other interests, other things to give you that rush. So you’ll be okay.

It takes a really good doctor to do the epidural’s right. I have had three pain doctor over the last five years and only my current one has been able to get them to work. But I also stay awake during them, I don’t use anesthesia. I help guide him by what I feel as he’s running the gigantic needle up my spine. In the end he only discovered the right place to inject by accident. I had so much calcification in my vertebrae he couldn’t get through without risk of going in to far and paralyzing me. so I told him to unload the shot outside of the target area and it ended up being the right area. We just re-created that mistake a few weeks ago and I’m amazed at how well it’s working. Crazy how poop like this works.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you’ve got questions. People have told me that it doesn’t work when they try to pm me so just hit me up on here, if I don’t respond, and I’ll reach out to you. I guess I can PM others but can’t receive the initial reach out.
You got this brother, hang in there!

Thank you so much! I know I'm being hardheaded and the fact that I am limited to what I can do now compared to what I was able to do less than 2 years ago is what has been messing with me the most. Realizing and accepting the reality of the situation is slowly working its way through my thick skull! haha
I will def reach out to you if I have any questions about things that you went through and/or things I may do.

Thank you so much!
Nate

That’s quite a decision to make. In the end though for me I think I’d do the surgery. If that would solve pain in the neck and arms everyday for the rest if my life👍
But it’s still a big decision to make, so I would get some medical advise on how high the succeed rate of the surgery is; and then make your decision.
If you go for it we will 🤞 for you.

On on less serious note, is the metal plate made of 7075 steel? After surgery we can call you ‘N.Mango EXB’.😂

I was told the pain in my arm would be reduced but there is no guarantee that the pain in my neck will ever go away as the surgery is for the pain going down my arm. The chances of the pain in my neck getting better isnt that good of a chance so pain management is a given either way.

I wonder if I could have the plate laser etched with EXB so it would show up in an xray?:unsure:

I've had several surgeries in the past and been blessed with all of them. First of all, doctors don't propose operations they aren't comfortable proposing themselves. The success rates they talk about are not random throws of a dice, the surgeon and supporting team will do all it takes to make it a success.

Fear is something else, it's the mind killer. I am generally the 'don't panic' guy, in my job i often compare myself to Harvey Keitel in pulp fiction, being the guy calmly taking charge when everyone else is panicking. Yet, I had my first (and so far only) proper panic attack whiles laying on the bed moving towards the surgery room. I had delayed this inevitable surgery for years and that just had made the fear worse. When i woke up after the surgery, it was the best feeling ever...

Anyways, the point i am trying to make. Fear is a natural reaction, but it's not rational. Don't let it cloud your judgement, threat it separately (easier said than done). When something is rationally the best choice, just go for it and try to cope with the fear along the way. Hard to make good suggestions on the how to, but fight the fear, not the surgery...

I've had several surgeries in the past and been blessed with all of them. First of all, doctors don't propose operations they aren't comfortable proposing themselves. The success rates they talk about are not random throws of a dice, the surgeon and supporting team will do all it takes to make it a success.

Fear is something else, it's the mind killer. I am generally the 'don't panic' guy, in my job i often compare myself to Harvey Keitel in pulp fiction, being the guy calmly taking charge when everyone else is panicking. Yet, I had my first (and so far only) proper panic attack whiles laying on the bed moving towards the surgery room. I had delayed this inevitable surgery for years and that just had made the fear worse. When i woke up after the surgery, it was the best feeling ever...

Anyways, the point i am trying to make. Fear is a natural reaction, but it's not rational. Don't let it cloud your judgement, threat it separately (easier said than done). When something is rationally the best choice, just go for it and try to cope with the fear along the way. Hard to make good suggestions on the how to, but fight the fear, not the surgery...

That was very sound advice. I too have not been afraid of anything as bad as I'm afraid of this surgery. Thanks for sharing that story with me. It was yet another very truthful and real experience shared to me and will most definitely roll through my mind while deciding if Im gonna go through it or not. Your thoughts about fear was said in a way that will really stand out in my mind. Thank you so much!

That’s quite a decision to make. In the end though for me I think I’d do the surgery. If that would solve pain in the neck and arms everyday for the rest if my life👍
But it’s still a big decision to make, so I would get some medical advise on how high the succeed rate of the surgery is; and then make your decision.
If you go for it we will 🤞 for you.

On on less serious note, is the metal plate made of 7075 steel? After surgery we can call you ‘N.Mango EXB’.😂
They use surgical stainless steel and titanium typically.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back