Kraton Ok to bash with optional "speed pinion"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
Just wondering if I'm ok to run the bigger 15t pinion for bashing? Would like some more torque to be able to backflip easier. See a lot of guys run 18t so figured would be ok, anyone else just run 15t over stock 12t pinion?

Was wondering the same... No fan, and otherwise stock power system. Don't want a fan either..

On a related note, what is a good pinion for 4S? Good top speed, but will still wheelie, and won't catch on fire on grass etc... :geek:

Just wondering if I'm ok to run the bigger 15t pinion for bashing? Would like some more torque to be able to backflip easier. See a lot of guys run 18t so figured would be ok, anyone else just run 15t over stock 12t pinion?

Depends how you bash of course; if you do a lot of WOT there is more risk. Just check your temps regularly and cooling the motor helps a lot (thermal tap, heatsink, fan(s) ).
I have the same setup (motor/esc) in my 1/8 buggy which is only marginally heavier than the K6s. I run 12T and everything runs very cool. I ordered a pinion set 11T-15T and planning to do some testing. I think going up to the 15T should not be a problem, but keep checking the temps!

As much as I’d like to give you a solid “use this pinion and you’ll be perfect” that’s not the case... you really just have to watch your temps, buy a temp gun and really watch them. Every persons setup is different. You could have identical setup vehicles that will likely perform different than one another. The optional speed gearing to bash with would be asking for failure. On a stock system with no fan for sure.

Just my .02 ✌?

I have a temp gun and know my way around nitro engines, but no clue about electric.. What temps should we be looking for?

I used the 16t speed pinion with stock electronics in my Noto for a while. I did have some cogging from a standstill and at the start of a backflip, and I did have thermal cut-off on occasion

If you use your speed pinion, I would advise to use a heatsink on the motor with a fan or two, tune the punch on the ESC to the stock 5 setting or lower and keep an eye on motor temps every few minutes, especially when running in tall grass and after harsh acceleration/braking

Once again, being relatively new to brushless(had an MT4 G3 and converted Tamiya TRF801XT for years, but 4S only and never any problems..), whenever I read about fans it seems there is no plug and play simple option, so everything always has to be Macgyvered.. Is that true?

Once again, being relatively new to brushless(had an MT4 G3 and converted Tamiya TRF801XT for years, but 4S only and never any problems..), whenever I read about fans it seems there is no plug and play simple option, so everything always has to be Macgyvered.. Is that true?

If you buy the correct size heatsink for your motor is basically plug and play.

And the correct size would be?.. Stock V4...

Is there a standard heatsink people use? Plug n' play... Thanks.

I have a temp gun and know my way around nitro engines, but no clue about electric.. What temps should we be looking for?
Ideal motor temps are between 120-170 during use.
It is said that going beyond 180F is when the magnets can get damaged. With that said Castle has ran their motors significantly hotter with no issues. I think their engineer stated up around 230F on the motor.

I own a typhon with a 4092 motor and an exb with a 4985 motor ?

Had them both on a 20t ? and they are both on an 18t now because it was all too much power ?
And now i have the temperature under control with a heat sink and double fan.

I did make that myself ? but it is not that difficult at all because you also have to tinker with your car.
And if I can do it then it's no problem for you.

As things stand now, if there's a plug and play option, which I can find on my continent(Europe), I might try it. If not I won't do anything.. I had to "tinker" a bit to learn nitro, and I still love nitro. But it was a fairly long process, back when I had more time to devote to it. The whole.. - well a big point of brushless is that it's supposed to be so much easier than nitro. I like mechanical stuff - electronics stuff not so much. My planes are all brushless and basically plug and play. So I am spoiled there too. I don't want to go have to experiment and solder and do math calculations and order components from god knows where to keep a motor cool which might not even need it...

So is there a heat sink and/or fan which will bolt right up to a stock V4 Kraton? Thanks.

As things stand now, if there's a plug and play option, which I can find on my continent(Europe), I might try it. If not I won't do anything.. I had to "tinker" a bit to learn nitro, and I still love nitro. But it was a fairly long process, back when I had more time to devote to it. The whole.. - well a big point of brushless is that it's supposed to be so much easier than nitro. I like mechanical stuff - electronics stuff not so much. My planes are all brushless and basically plug and play. So I am spoiled there too. I don't want to go have to experiment and solder and do math calculations and order components from god knows where to keep a motor cool which might not even need it...

So is there a heat sink and/or fan which will bolt right up to a stock V4 Kraton? Thanks.
PowerHobby or YeahRacing dual 40mm heatsink and fans work well

you do not have to solder, they are just plugs ? but it is useful if you can squeeze them with pliers.
otherwise everything can be ordered

I have the yeah racing Heatsink with double fan ?
which is plug and play.

yrac-ya-0261bk-1-800x800_0.jpg

Googling brought me to this:

https://www.monsterhopups.de/Yeah-R...A1ENIjD4EAKVcYDBb6DADqcgj1fBe98RoCwuYQAvD_BwE

So far nothing listed as Kraton specific...

Also, just how necessary is this if you are rarely running in outside temps over say 70F? Thanks again..
Yep that’s the one I have. Those fans won’t last long if jumping high. They also make aluminum tornado fans that are more durable. I like running fans on all my motors. Always safer to keep them cool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-1-8-...459056?hash=item5b640ae330:g:JnIAAOSwQBNe1HC8

??

(Crap shoot if it would get through Customs..)

It's a price I could stomach though..

ps I've recently kind of decided to stick mainly to 4S with a 15T, or maybe move to a 16T, pinion. This is my first 6S truck, and so far (30ish packs I guess, mostly just speed on the street..) it's been great. But I'm not willing to accept frequent diff repairs/replacements etc.., so feel better sticking with 4S and less maintenance. Kraton part costs are just too stupid too now that Horizon owns Arrma..

Last edited:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-1-8-...459056?hash=item5b640ae330:g:JnIAAOSwQBNe1HC8

??

(Crap shoot if it would get through Customs..)

It's a price I could stomach though..

ps I've recently kind of decided to stick mainly to 4S with a 15T, or maybe move to a 16T, pinion. This is my first 6S truck, and so far (30ish packs I guess, mostly just speed on the street..) it's been great. But I'm not willing to accept frequent diff repairs/replacements etc.., so feel better sticking with 4S and less maintenance. Kraton part costs are just too stupid too now that Horizon owns Arrma..
Yep that’s basically the same and would work too.

Hi, I’d like to add my two pence worth if I may;)
So I have a Kraton 6s V3 I have a Hobbywing Max8 combo with a 2200kv motor. I am running a 17t pinion on mine and full power acceleration from a standstill on grass with outcast rear tyres.
will send it over on to it’s roof I don’t know if it’ll backflip completely but it’s still pretty Ballsy. It runs about 11mins I do flat out max speed runs across the field it covers some distance in a short time, it does get quite hot as you’d expect.
I have a single fan on the motor I could most probably do with a twin fan . But yes to answer question the hobbywing motkr is very Torque’y
If you wanted instant back flips I think if I dropped a couple of teeth it would do so. That’s my little input hope it helps. Ty

jUST SAY NO TH BASHING WITH TALL GEARS IT WILL RUIN YOUR ELECTRONICS ,LIKE COOK UM, MAN/KID

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back