Big Rock Old school Nero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of an easy fix....took a few times but got it to factory reset, was working then throttle died.? ended up removing receiver cover and discovered the throttle connector that connects to the brain had come loose. Bench tested and a few passes in front of the house. All seems well. I’m gonna try to take it out tomorrow and see how it performs. If all is well then it’ll go into semi retirement.

That's great news. I keep both of my Nero's grounded (semi retired) I'm learning to jump with my RC's with parts that are more readily available;)

I don't jump mine too much either. Maybe 10' long by 3' high jumps and that's it. Neros are too heavy for sending, imo.

As I said....semi retired...had lots of fun with it for about 30 minutes!

E52E403E-A8E7-483B-A4E7-59487CB75796.jpeg

71885CAD-24BB-4F2E-8AD9-636770830DC0.jpeg

Great to see!!! I got a couple of diff brains here in the UK earlier this year after pinching the wires removing the diffs on the br, so they can be had, yours looks lovely, regret selling mine now but I just did.not.use.it because of parts availability and hard to work on, problem is my stable is weeping, and I want another, I put silicone in my diffs and it didnt leak but then it wasnt used hard, loving yours ?

The fallen beast
The Phoenix rises
Great to see!!! I got a couple of diff brains here in the UK earlier this year after pinching the wires removing the diffs on the br, so they can be had, yours looks lovely, regret selling mine now but I just did.not.use.it because of parts availability and hard to work on, problem is my stable is weeping, and I want another, I put silicone in my diffs and it didnt leak but then it wasnt used hard, loving yours ?
Diff brains or diff servos? If you have diff servos laying around I’d be interested.

Yep, Nero wasn’t designed for jump....
Blast,wheelies,drift,and climb ?

I will have to respectfully disagree with that statement. I agree with the base logic of weight is bad for jumping. But on the other hand, I feel the added weight increases stability at higher speeds, especially going hard into imperfect jumps. And if all chassis slap from hard landings, isn't the Nero's TVP design the ultimate solution against chassis tacos? Even after making it a Nero XL, I feel it just commands through jumps.

I won't argue that jumping is "better" with lighter rc's. I haven't done it so I cant speak on it much. My only experience jumping has been with the Nero, so I'm sure you can understand my position and apparent bias. Not trying to hate by any means, I really enjoy seeing others enjoy the Nero.

-

I appreciate and totally respect both of your opinions. I just think it’s built like a tank and and basically handles like a tank.
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ?.....it’s a duck ? ....granted it can go 60+ mph and with enough velocity and inclination it will overcome gravity briefly ?
But my philosophy is with this particular vehicle is to stick with...

image.jpg

I will have to respectfully disagree with that statement. I agree with the base logic of weight is bad for jumping. But on the other hand, I feel the added weight increases stability at higher speeds, especially going hard into imperfect jumps. And if all chassis slap from hard landings, isn't the Nero's TVP design the ultimate solution against chassis tacos? Even after making it a Nero XL, I feel it just commands through jumps.

I won't argue that jumping is "better" with lighter rc's. I haven't done it so I cant speak on it much. My only experience jumping has been with the Nero, so I'm sure you can understand my position and apparent bias. Not trying to hate by any means, I really enjoy seeing others enjoy the Nero.

-
? I certainly agree TVP is chassis taco ? solution and Mr, T’s oil and spring are totally beneficial.
I would have to say that I’m more and more conservative with a basically stock Nero that facing dwindling resources.

Last edited:
But that's what I don't get. I've yet to come into any situation where I had to wait for restocking of parts. I don't use a diff brain, so maybe that's what I'm missing. I'm also very little concerned with cosmetics, it's a friggn tank after all. Hell, the shell hasn't been able to be put back on since the first week of bashing hahaha.

I've stocked up on rod ends awhile back. I'm sure I'll even be able to source that from another vehicle if and when those run out. The plastic bulkheads are one of very few pieces I feel I couldn't source or make.

I understand it got the ax. But I truly feel the number of spares manufacturered before that happened greatly out weighs the number of people needing them.

The limited spares idea also hinges on the theory thay Arrma is not able to create replacement parts for that chassis at all. Whether they pertain to the infringed copyrights or not. Which if it shares components with other chassis, that could be some gray area.

I'm sincerely very curious to what pieces people are having issues getting for the Neros.

You’re right. I have so far been able for get any part needed (except diff servo which is back ordered). All the resources I’ve researched, Tower, A main, HR, even Arrma and others have had stock on hand. Out of curiosity I search for various random parts and all are available. A moment ago I looked for TVP and it is easy to find. Dwindling resources refers to the distant (I hope) future.

Ok. I definitely understand that point and fear that time as well.

Don't ever worry about the TVP plates. I'll custom machine OG or stretched plates for any Nero basher out there. But there will be a surcharge if it's only going to be a shelf queen. Hahaha

Since I bought my Big Rock in 2018, I soon learned to buy spare parts when I found a good deal. Last I counted, I had 4 complete trannies. 8 complete brained diffs. HD driveshafts and TVPs too. The rest of the parts are consumables and easily obtainable in North America.

For the longest time, I was looking for the machinee metal spur gear AR310729 as it‘s very hard to come by. Just last month, I found a hobbyshop that had 3 in stock so I bought them all.

My hunt for spare parts continues hehehe

0291CC1D-C6B2-4724-B969-11FD03E75DD4.jpeg

Since I bought my Big Rock in 2018, I soon learned to buy spare parts when I found a good deal. Last I counted, I had 4 complete trannies. 8 complete brained diffs. HD driveshafts and TVPs too. The rest of the parts are consumables and easily obtainable in North America.

For the longest time, I was looking for the machinee metal spur gear AR310729 as it‘s very hard to come by. Just last month, I found a hobbyshop that had 3 in stock so I bought them all.

View attachment 96540
Sound advice and a good long term plan. I think I’ll follow that lead. Spur is good example, stock is easy to get, machined is pretty much impossible. Stockpiling Parts will be a long process seeing as I have a Mojave 6 and a Kraton Exb coming next month.??
Btw, I bought my Nero 2016

View attachment 96540
You just motivated me to search some local hobby shops for that machined spur tomorrow. Thanks!
Ok. I definitely understand that point and fear that time as well.

Don't ever worry about the TVP plates. I'll custom machine OG or stretched plates for any Nero basher out there. But there will be a surcharge if it's only going to be a shelf queen. Hahaha
How much would a pair of 7075-T6 aluminum OG plates cost? Just curious.

How much would a pair of 7075-T6 aluminum OG plates cost? Just curious.

Short answer: $100+

Do people really bend those things? If so, 7075 could be justified, even at 5x the cost. I can grab a piece of 6061 material for $10 off ebay. Where 7075 will run $50 for the exact same size. All of that's without shipping. An added cross brace in a 6061 frame would probably put your further ahead in rigidity for a considerable less cost. Just a thought. If there is the slightest bit of a market where I could make more than one set at a time, the price would come down.

I do enjoy the designing and alteration possibilities that comes with machining. Custom work would be bo

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back