Big Rock Old school Nero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much would a pair of 7075-T6 aluminum OG plates cost? Just curious.

Short answer: $100+

Do TVP's get bent? If so, 7075 could be justified, even at 5x the cost. I can grab a piece of 6061 material for $10 off ebay. Where 7075 will run $50 for the exact same size. All of that's without shipping. An added cross brace in a 6061 frame would probably put your further ahead in rigidity for a considerable cut in cost, just a thought.

If there is the slightest bit of a market where I could make more than one set at a time, the price would come down. Not just in material cost, but in my time. Running parts is relatively fast. Maybe three min in actual machineing time vs setup time, drafting, and programming that are the most time consuming.

Business is not my strong suit. I can draft, program, and machine. Work with me, and I'll be happy to do work for anyone.

*Woops, sorry for the mostly double post. Definitely did not mean to post the first one. Still had to edit. Haha

Short answer: $100+

Do people really bend those things? If so, 7075 could be justified, even at 5x the cost. I can grab a piece of 6061 material for $10 off ebay. Where 7075 will run $50 for the exact same size. All of that's without shipping. An added cross brace in a 6061 frame would probably put your further ahead in rigidity for a considerable less cost. Just a thought. If there is the slightest bit of a market where I could make more than one set at a time, the price would come down.

I do enjoy the designing and alteration possibilities that comes with machining. Custom work would be bo
Haven't bent mine yet, but as an upgrade, 7075 would be some nice bling.

Haven't bent mine yet, but as an upgrade, 7075 would be some nice bling.
I’m going to agree with that ?
Since I bought my Big Rock in 2018, I soon learned to buy spare parts when I found a good deal. Last I counted, I had 4 complete trannies. 8 complete brained diffs. HD driveshafts and TVPs too. The rest of the parts are consumables and easily obtainable in North America.

For the longest time, I was looking for the machinee metal spur gear AR310729 as it‘s very hard to come by. Just last month, I found a hobbyshop that had 3 in stock so I bought them all.

My hunt for spare parts continues hehehe

View attachment 96540

Titanium 6AL4V would be even stronger. Heavier than aluminum, but definately stronger.

Big stick! M1 Abrams

5E95133B-ECBE-4126-B34B-420EB9FC6F33.jpeg

Isn't it more expensive and more difficult to machine?

Yea buddy. I can rip through aluminum all day with cheap high-speed steel. Titanium would require high grade carbide with a special coating. That's like balsa wood to Walnut. Cost in material would be an easy 80. Sounds fun though.

But yea, Titanium would be much more in the bling category though. Not sure if going from one undistinguishable aluminum to another would jack the looks up that much, especially if goin OG. I could engrave 7075 in the chassis all cool lookn though.

Awesome. Glad u were able to get out of it.

I think I was able to order one the other night. I'm a bit suspect it's what we're lookn for. BUT, if it is, I can source hardened steel gears that size and mill in the clutch teeth. I'm sure there will be issues, but if this is really an in demand piece for Nero bashers, I'd be happy to work through them and produce some great pieces.

Last edited:
It’s bogus...advertised as AR310729 so I ordered it then looked closely at the invoice and it’s a different part. Cancelled.
Noticed the same when searching on line. Didn't find any at my nearest local shop, so will have to go a bit further away or call them to check.

Isn't it more expensive and more difficult to machine?

I had posted a reply but it somehow disappeared.

Material is more expensive, but seeing as it’s stronger than aluminum, one can get away with a thinner gage and still be significantly stronger than 7075-T6.

Isn’t more difficult to machine, really. The right tooling would be needed and any veteran machinist with a solid knowledge of speeds and feeds can pull it off. Ti is also know to catch fire if not careful during machining process, but then there’s always lazer and waterjet as an option.

I made a CAD drawing of a stock replacement TVP and presently looking into pricing for material.

Material is more expensive, but seeing as it’s stronger than aluminum, one can get away with a thinner gage and still be significantly stronger than 7075-T6.

Isn’t more difficult to machine, really. The right tooling would be needed and any veteran machinist with a solid knowledge of speeds and feeds can pull it off. Ti is also know to catch fire if not careful during machining process, but then there’s always lazer and waterjet as an option.

I made a CAD drawing of a stock replacement TVP and presently looking into pricing for material.
Cool! Keep us posted.

I had posted a reply but it somehow disappeared.

I’m interested in skid plates. I’m now obsessed with the Nero Exb concept ?

Nero EXB Concept? What’s that?

Whoever designed this nonsense has hopefully moved on to another career.

Attachments

• D682AD55-EE09-4829-9799-E6EBDF5FD365.jpeg
    D682AD55-EE09-4829-9799-E6EBDF5FD365.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 73
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back