Big Rock Old school Nero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly, I left the lock pin ring out because the non-diff brain Nero didn't come with them in the housing. I'm sure some grease will eventually work its way out from the pin holes of the case.

I’m going to leave it in, see what happens. Let me know if you definitively find out it’s a bad idea.
btw, I edited my last post on page 1, figured out those bearings are for the rockers, mine are still stock, gonna swap them out.

This may seem a little OCD but...... I thrashed my rear body posts so I ordered new ones which comes with a roll hoop. I’m happy replacing the posts but thought what the heck I’ll replace the roll hoop too. Just two screws on each side but a PITA to remove! It appears that I have to remove the whole rear end just to replace it. Am I missing an easier way to remove it?

image.jpg

547D0EC7-1F75-4D9D-8BB7-6F407EC022BF.jpeg

I'm probably as OCD as you are and these are a pain to repair/maintain, but worth it. Unfortunately you do have to remove most of the screws on the back half of the truck, even the two rear-most 3mm screws on the top part of the TVPs, to remove and replace that rear hoop.

Nah, maybe next time ? I just finished buttoning it up. Bench test seems okay, street test for about 30 seconds seems okay. Diffs seem to be alright but didn’t really test them. I used batteries that are on storage charge , didn’t feel like charging two batteries (100 degrees here)
Maybe full test tomorrow or Monday.

image.jpg

OOPS! WTF! Then this ? I thought mesh was good, is this bad mesh? Slipper was set full tightening the back 270 degrees.

image.jpg

Would it be diff issues? I don’t think so, all three move freely by hand.

Last edited:
OOPS! WTF! Then this ? I thought mesh was good, is this bad mesh? Slipper was set full tightening the back 270 degrees.

View attachment 94767
Would it be diff issues? I don’t think so, all three move freely by hand.
That sucks! Was the center diff locked? It could of been the mesh, gravel/rocks, or the age of the spur. I've only broken the teeth on the stock pinion, but never on the spur.

First I want to say thanks for following... and helping... new spur and pinion ordered..first replacement in 4 years.
As far as diffs and terrain I don’t think it’s a issue.

I'm always interested in seeing what other Nero owners are doing and how their rigs are holding up. Hope you didn't buy another stock pinion, they don't seem to last. Both my trucks have Tekno 15T pinions and they're not showing any signs of wear.

Yes I bought another stock pinion ? cuz I’m sitting here at the bench wanting to fix it. I will take your advice and get tekno 15
my stock held up for 4 years...go figure...

Awesome looking Nero. While your OCD keeps your Nero looking new, my ADD makes mine look like it's been through hell and back. Do you WD-40 your plastic?

Last edited:
Figure out what happened to the spur gear? Got me curious

I’m not sure, I did complete maintenance on all three diffs. Front and rear are easy. First time for center, even though everything looked fine, I replaced everything in the center. Slipper clutch spring/plates, pads,gaskets, spiders,shims,etc. One of the diff servos was bad so put the two good ones rear and center putting the bad one in front in open position. I tightened clutch spring per spec and I thought I had good mesh (didn’t use a piece of paper to check though). I have about a dozen cars and have adjusted mesh before, but this is first time with Nero. On the bench everything seemed okay. Something that should have caught my attention was when I finished buttoning it up I gave it a roll down the driveway and it just kept rolling out into the street, minimal resistance. I was to anxious so I took for a run and it lasted about 5 minutes.
What do you think? FUBAR the mesh without realizing? Something else?
New spur and stock pinion came yesterday, but I think I’ll wait for the Tekin pinion that should come today or tomorrow.

Thanks

F23030D6-52B2-4912-8E45-D374A4D06121.jpeg

2CABFD31-FB1B-4295-B2AE-D61A0AD76359.jpeg

So far I’ve been able to get everything I need. Diff servo is back ordered until next month. I need one but getting two. Trying to keep it as stock as possible and the brain is kinda fun. I don’t drive it like I stole it, but close?

So far I’ve been able to get everything I need. Diff servo is back ordered until next month. I need one but getting two. Trying to keep it as stock as possible and the brain is kinda fun. I don’t drive it like I stole it, but close?
I'd love one. NIB though. I don't do used RC's.

Any thoughts on how I screwed up my spur...

and yeah, my Nero is the orphan I just gotta love ?

Sheesh! I had to hammer the center brass piece into place. Is that normal?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back