OMG... I broke my NERO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadBlaster

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Nero
Then I fixed it.

Fin

A little humor to start off my vent session.

I'm seeing TONS of negative feedback from the Nero based simply on it breaking.

Its heavy!! There is no mystery to that fact. Guess what else... It can go wicked fast. Lynx4s clocked mine at 54 with the slower of two pinions its shipped with... If your mind doesn't see easily broken parts as a sum of those two facts then get out of the hobby now. Save all the newbies out there from being infected by your lazy vile comments complaining of breakage. Maybe if they understand first that there is some work involved to be able to get that awesome rush, they wont get scared off.

Whats most sad is that this isn't just an isolated case. RTR "saved" the hobby how many years ago, and now it could very well be its decline. Many many people see that RTR and assume that the only maintenance is charging a battery.

There is good reason why you can buy every single little part that makes up these vehicles. Everyone drives bad in there own way and different stuff will break. STUFF WILL BREAK.

My son and I started fresh in this hobby three years ago. This hobby has taught my son countless lessons and granted us countless memories. True bonding, life lessons kinda thing. It makes me sad to think that there might be some fathers out there that see the initial cost, then all the complaints about broken pieces, and get scared off.

Ran the hell out of mine last nite. No broken parts.

I know something will break sooner than later. On all my other trucks as well.

Ran the hell out of mine last nite. No broken parts.

I know something will break sooner than later. On all my other trucks as well.
Cool, that's always a good day of bashing for sure. I can't say that very often, with any of my trucks. Some are ran harder than others though..

Been in this Hobby longer than I care to mention, and I've crashed a couple planes, a few more Helis over the years and repaired them. But my cars are no different. Stuff happens, and most of the time it's Pilot error! I just deal with it like anything else. Never hear anyone complain about their REAL car breaking down on the way to a bash session?

I must have two lemon Nero's. Can't run a single pack without something braking, unlike my Kraton and Talion. Me and my 4 year old grandson can run several packs through each and they never brake. Words from my grandson, Pawpaw, don't bring the hoopty neros, I don't want to carry it back to truck. Bring the Talion, Kraton and Avalanche. Yes, an Avalanche, I converted it to electric a year ago, and since, not a single broken part and it's faster than my Nero's. Yes, I do complain about my Nero's, I don't want a truck that I have drive it so careful it's no fun. Like I said, I must have lemons. By the way, my Avalanche is one pound heavier than the Nero.

This is exactly what Im talking about.

Lemons or driver error? If they are lemons, your comments should be left ONLY for there service department. Not once do you admit any fault of your own on the breakage. Am I really supposed to believe that? Better yet, to prove my point, would anyone new to the hobby see your comment and think the Nero was worth anything? NO!

Side note, you can use breakage as a means to teach patience and wrenching skills just to name a couple out of many things.

....(edited by moderator)

Your complaints are valid, don't get me wrong. (...edited by moderator)

Come one guys!
This is a friendly forum where every member is allowed to share his or her thoughts with this community.
But please respect each other, do not call each other names!
The content of the conversation is very valid and useful, but we do not allow offensive language and insults!

Please continue the discussion, but keep it friendly

I jumped on the Tower Hobbies deal at the end of December and picked up the green Nero for a really great price. I bought it even after reading all of the threads that people had posted on this and other forums. But by doing so, I learned about all of the little tweaks that people were doing to their Nero's to help with the problems they were having. So before I ran it, I adjusted the spring perches and shock positions to alleviate the stress placed on the rocker posts and shock shafts. I also sealed the diffs and filled them with oil and installed the T-bone front bumper, which I believe helps tremendously.

I did in fact buy a bunch of various rod ends and rocker posts preemptively just in case. So far, I've been pretty lucky with mine. The only things that I've broken were the bumper loops (prior to T-bone bumper install), both of which were replaced by Arrma under warranty.

The point I'm trying to make is that nothing in the RC industry is indestructible or bulletproof. And the term "ready to run" is really doing a disservice to the industry as the OP stated. It really should be "ready to inspect AND THEN RUN" or come as a kit with everything included so that you can build it yourself.

I have the Nero AND Fazon but so far only ran on 4S. Just reinforced my Nero body and really don't plan on bashing the crap out of it. I have other durable vehicles that will take that kind of abuse, so I WILL NOT GIVE UP. LOL On a side not, if anyone would like to donate their Nero to me just send me a PM... LOL again. JK. :D

I jumped on the Tower Hobbies deal at the end of December and picked up the green Nero for a really great price. I bought it even after reading all of the threads that people had posted on this and other forums. But by doing so, I learned about all of the little tweaks that people were doing to their Nero's to help with the problems they were having. So before I ran it, I adjusted the spring perches and shock positions to alleviate the stress placed on the rocker posts and shock shafts. I also sealed the diffs and filled them with oil and installed the T-bone front bumper, which I believe helps tremendously.

I did in fact buy a bunch of various rod ends and rocker posts preemptively just in case. So far, I've been pretty lucky with mine. The only things that I've broken were the bumper loops (prior to T-bone bumper install), both of which were replaced by Arrma under warranty.

The point I'm trying to make is that nothing in the RC industry is indestructible or bulletproof. And the term "ready to run" is really doing a disservice to the industry as the OP stated. It really should be "ready to inspect AND THEN RUN" or come as a kit with everything included so that you can build it yourself.
Well stated. I feel the same way and got a really good deal as well, so I consider myself ahead of the game so to speak.

Been in this Hobby longer than I care to mention, and I've crashed a couple planes, a few more Helis over the years and repaired them. But my cars are no different. Stuff happens, and most of the time it's Pilot error! I just deal with it like anything else. Never hear anyone complain about their REAL car breaking down on the way to a bash session?
My breakages have always been my bad, and haven't broke down on the way to bash, but have forgotten my controller and even my RC once.......Duhhhhh...lol.

The abuse my Nero has been put through and then laughed off has given it a legendary repution with everyone in my RC group. I hit a rock the size of a grapefruit at 40+ MPH. My Nero launched 4 feet into the air and then proceeded to do 15-20 cartwheels. It landed on its tires and drove back to me. Not a single broken anything.

These comments are the reason I really believe I bought two lemons. Some people claim great success and others have consistent problems. My Kraton and Talion are ridiculously durable. Nothing ever really brakes on them. This is why I am so disappointed in my Neros. I sold one, but I'm going to put a lot of effort into getting my other Nero to be able to take a few hits. I have fixed my rod end issue but not the shock ends and caps.

Im glad to see you back olefart. I got aggressive earlier and I apologize.

The Talion and the Kraton feature tried and true chassis layout and design.

The Nero is the first in Arrma's line up to feature this type of chassis.

That's why I felt your expectations are off track.

I had the experience your talking about the Nero with my Yeti XL. I understand the frustration. But I still then could never put the blame on the car or manufacturer. I was the one behind the trigger that either drove it recklessly or didn't properly check it over beforehand.

Never has a piece spontaneously broken, or for no good reason. Give the engineers some credit and criticize your own habits and expectations.

Last edited:
No problem Madblaster, no doubt each brake was the result of driver error. But my Nero is unforgiving. Believe me, I want it to be as good as it looks. I think I'm just frustrated with Arrma not addressing these common problems. It's only small, easy to repair brakes and Arrma does send free parts. Imagine how fantastic this truck would be if Arrma would address rod ends, shock ends and caps. The Nero could be the best 1/8 monster truck ever. Just eats me alive when Traxxas lovers say, that's why I wouldn't buy an Arrma, always braking. I shut them up real fast when I brake out my Kraton and Talion. I eat Revo's for dinner.

I think it is a good to share all your experiences.
One of the most important things for people to know is the average quality of these products.

Arrma came in the market as a bombproof, brushless ready brand!

But they screwed up in the beginning with a faulty diff design and wrongly balanced transmitter (Tx) spring tension wise. Also the stock servo was not waterproof, in despite advertised as that it was.

In 2013 all things good, but still plastic gears in the servo.

Later models of this type in 2014 and 2015 had again a diff prone to breaking under brushless power.
But a upgrade kit was available, which solves all issues.

Just an example of knowledge, which I used for my purchase!

But the average user might only have one or a few RC cars, so his or her frame of reference is quite limited. Maybe too limited in order to give an objective review or opinion.

I think everybody should be aware of this fact!

Telling your frame of reference is a good way to understand why somebody is having a specific opinion about quality.

I gave up on my Nero about a month ago (a lot of people are). Constant annoying breakages.
I'm just gonna try to keep balance in the universe......
I've had mine since July, moderate bashing, keeping up on maintenance, only broken part is a rod end.
The body is a sore sight. ;-)
I really enjoy my "Basher of the year "

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back