Outcast On hand parts for outcast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went thru 3 rebuild kits, now I'm smart and have things like just the cross pins for the drive cups, sun gears, pinions, and more shims than I can shake a stick at. ?
Wish they would do a kit that includes the ring gears as well. I've got tons of internals now from all the Jennys difs purchased, but those damn ring gears get eaten at 5 times the rate of the internal ones?

Wish they would do a kit that includes the ring gears as well. I've got tons of internals now from all the Jennys difs purchased, but those damn ring gears get eaten at 5 times the rate of the internal ones?
Right? I just need ring and pinion gears.
20180527_000247.jpg

I think you can buy the ring/pinion separate. I just buy the full ones on ebay for $40 to have bulkheads, bearings, cups, internals and output shafts on hand. Although, I have yet to really break any internal parts. So far I've needed most of the parts anyway, bearings, bulkheads (stripped screws or busted), ring/pinion and one output cup.

I think you can buy the ring/pinion separate. I just buy the full ones on ebay for $40 to have bulkheads, bearings, cups, internals and output shafts on hand. Although, I have yet to really break any internal parts. So far I've needed most of the parts anyway, bearings, bulkheads (stripped screws or busted), ring/pinion and one output cup.
I bought a pair of ring gears for $28.87 US each from St. Loius Rc on ebay. He was the cheapest and offered free shipping if I didn't opt in for fast delivery. They are just too damn expensive as an individual part. If there was a cheaper Chinese knock off, I would buy it knowing that stock ones really aren't that good to begin with, but know one makes them.

I bought a pair of ring gears for $28.87 US each from St. Loius Rc on ebay. He was the cheapest and offered free shipping if I didn't opt in for fast delivery. They are just too damn expensive as an individual part. If there was a cheaper Chinese knock off, I would buy it knowing that stock ones really aren't that good to begin with, but know one makes them.
The only ones I know of are GPM but the one review doesn't look promising at all. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/p/2295806094

If they didn't run such a tiny bearing for the front of the diff, I'd see if a set of HPI BP gears would fit, then regear accordingly if possible. Pretty sure the case/bulkhead isn't wide enough to accept the larger tooth pinion. That 5x12 bearing doesn't make it easy to go with much other than other 1/8th buggy parts, and without having things on hand, would be costly to try.

If they didn't run such a tiny bearing for the front of the diff, I'd see if a set of HPI BP gears would fit, then regear accordingly if possible. Pretty sure the case/bulkhead isn't wide enough to accept the larger tooth pinion. That 5x12 bearing doesn't make it easy to go with much other than other 1/8th buggy parts, and without having things on hand, would be costly to try.
Hot Racing uses a larger bearing in their gearboxes its only 5x13x4 mm though. I don't understand why Durango did not make the gearboxes with the same size bearing on both sides that's how my D8T is both sides have a 8x16x5mm bearing iirc.

Last edited:
I wish someone made hardened gears for the diffs

Correction. That price was Canadian dollars and they arrived today
20191105_174055.jpg

The only ones I know of are GPM but the one review doesn't look promising at all. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/p/2295806094
More expensive than stock.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but one of those diff gears is backwards ??‍♂️?
One is for the front and one is for the back. You must be new here.

One is for the front and one is for the back. You must be new here.
I was frustrated after a long wrenching session once, and was trying to shove in the front diff with the ring on the right. My wife was standing there, I was like I don't get it, this is supposed to be the easy part (got the diff in the housing, was trying to thread the door screws). Needles to say I felt pretty stupid after I realized what took me 45min on a 5 min job. ?

The Outcast I bought for my sons xmas present is the first 1/8 car in the stable (I have 20 odd other 1/10s in the garage). I went through the same though process for spares as we are taking the Outcast to the family farm after xmas and wanted to have a few spares.
So far I have....
spare wheel nuts, a screw/bolt/nut kit from Jenny's, suspension arms, bearing kit, servo and upgraded servo mount and a Dumborc X6 transmitter.

Based on my experience with my Savage XS, will also get a spare diff as the front diffs tend to cop a fair bit of punishment. Will also get a new bottle of thread lock.

The Outcast I bought for my sons xmas present is the first 1/8 car in the stable (I have 20 odd other 1/10s in the garage). I went through the same though process for spares as we are taking the Outcast to the family farm after xmas and wanted to have a few spares.
So far I have....
spare wheel nuts, a screw/bolt/nut kit from Jenny's, suspension arms, bearing kit, servo and upgraded servo mount and a Dumborc X6 transmitter.

Based on my experience with my Savage XS, will also get a spare diff as the front diffs tend to cop a fair bit of punishment. Will also get a new bottle of thread lock.
Sounds like fun times! ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back