One of the Last independent Hobby Stores around DFW is Closing down - T&T Hobby Shop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex Koder

2D , 3D Not a problem. I'll take that Challenge.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Nero
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vendetta
I just found out that the shop is closing its doors Forever after having been around a couple of decades..

Screenshot_20221223-212536.png

I knew the owner.
RIP Mr. J.S.

Last edited:
My hobbytown is closing down in a week too. Feels really bad, I have to drive 40 mins both ways to get to the next one. It really sucks, hobby stores are so much better than shopping online when you need that part NOW. I wish our hobby was more mainstream.

I had a Hobbytown close to me when Crawlers were starting to take off in popularity. They had just put in a crawler course out back and a mini course inside. Started to spend a LOT of time there and got to know the guys pretty well. They closed because the owner lived something like 2 hours away and hated coming in when the alarm would go off for even the slightest movement that always amounted to nothing.

That happened to our LHS about 7 years ago. Went there as a kid, now I’m 40. Very sad and unfortunate to have to travel 45 min to an hour to visit one.

Best of luck to the owners. I’m sure they put a lot of smiles on faces, which those memories will last forever.

Mark just did a video on this. Sad. Hopefully my LHS stays open. There’s always people in there and their customer service is top notch. I have another LHS right around the corner from my house but the guy is a d*ck so I just drive 15min to the other one.

I just found out that the shop is closing its doors Forever after having been around a couple of decades..

View attachment 264649

I knew the owner.
RIP Mr. J.S.
Sad to see lhs close down.. internet sales are killing them slowly off.this is why I try to support my lhs as much as I can .even if I have to spend more than I like.

We used to have several good hobby shops with a diversity of products and knowledge. Now we have 2 good ones (JJ Customs and Nor-Cal), 1 that sells RCs but is pretty clueless (Sheldon's). Yeah I named names.

It used to be I could walk into a hobby store and see models, planes, RCs, rockets, slot cars, paint/tools & stuff, puzzles, etc. Now they are much smaller and pretty nichey. But the rent on commercial space is crazy not to mention the taxes.

We used to have several good hobby shops with a diversity of products and knowledge. Now we have 2 good ones (JJ Customs and Nor-Cal), 1 that sells RCs but is pretty clueless (Sheldon's). Yeah I named names.

It used to be I could walk into a hobby store and see models, planes, RCs, rockets, slot cars, paint/tools & stuff, puzzles, etc. Now they are much smaller and pretty nichey. But the rent on commercial space is crazy not to mention the taxes.
My lhs bought out a few hobby shops in my area that were going out of business and they made one huge shop and now sell everything that those shops had .now it's like what you said .you walk in and you got everything you need .plus in door carpet track and out door track to try out your upgrades or you can rent it out for birthday party s or whatever.if your just with a few friends you can rent it out for 2 dollars a hour.not a bad deal I must say and there is a nice pond in the back where I can use my speed boats.
Only a matter of time before they all get wiped out.truth is where these shops are there isn't that much customers to keep them thriving.and with prices on everything going up it's hard to keep up with the internet prices.my lhs says 90 percent of his sales are from the net which is good in a sense because at least he selling.but this means with a low in store sales it's because not enough people in this hobby in our area.alot of people in this hobby are not that deep into it.most just have one rc that they use in the back yard as a kid and not really don't have ways to get to that one far away hobby shop .and not every adult gets serious into the hobby like us . lately in our lhs I have seen a new generation of adults and kids that want to get more into it but either don't have the money or time.

Last edited:
Mark just did a video on this. Sad. Hopefully my LHS stays open. There’s always people in there and their customer service is top notch. I have another LHS right around the corner from my house but the guy is a d*ck so I just drive 15min to the other one.
Yeah I know what you mean. I rather go to shop that doesn't turn me off. It's a hobby. Why spend your money where you are not welcome, or your RC tastes don't align with their's ...Brands etc.
A local shop I raced my TC's at on a carpet track, closed the track and it became a TrX shop. So I buy online. I go there for paints and supplies. And even they are short on those things many times.
I went there recently and now they are all into Arrma and Axial now.
And only 2 years ago I had a talk with the owner asking why he won't sell Arrmas and Axial's, just Trx stuff , Lipo chargers and all. I guess he had a change of heart. He turned me off.
I had spent so much with him over the years. And he could only say that Trx has the best stuff and warranty?? It's a LHS in a well heeled neigborhood anyway. He is quite expensive and way overpriced. He's been there since the 1960's and owns the building as well. But he has $clientele$ that spends $$.
He doesn't do internet sales at all. He is making good local money. I don't think Trx allows Internet sales of their products anyway if you are a LHS.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back