Kraton One tooth of sun gear damaged! Problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLikeRCs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
One tooth of my sun gear (I think that's what it's called) is slightly chamfered. All teeth have a little bit of wear. Do you guys think I should replace it right away (would need to order a spare) or is it fine? Running trencher 40 series tires on stock pinion (I run it quite hard at the moment as I run it every day and driving normally got boring after some time, double-backflips and so on). I'm worried about damaging the small gear as well If I leave it as it is and put it back in. It is hard to capture on camera, but if you look at it really closely you can see the damage

Attachments

• IMG_20200321_114459.jpg
    IMG_20200321_114459.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200321_114532.jpg
    IMG_20200321_114532.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 63
Hm, I would replace it.. but that´s me. Maybe you can get some more running time on it, but if you taking it a bit easier. It´s your call, and your money in the end ;-) . It doesn´t really look too bad, but again.. if you are scared of destroying the other gears.. then by all means replace it. :)

Order one and another complete setup that way you can just drop and go in the future.

Place a order for a compleat diff at Jennys run this one till it blows then take it apart and save the spider gears cross pins diff case and drive cups . The crown gear in my sons notorious looks worse than that. It’s still going.

If you damage your input gear, it's about half the price of the larger ring gear that has the damage (and it is likely worn as well, given the wear on this). I dunno, I'd probably keep running it.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...tory-built-new-talion-outcast-pinion-ar106040
Best way. Then you have spares. Add up the parts this is a no brainer.
Thanks, however I'm in Austria and the chop shop here charges 50€ (35$ would be 33€) for those parts. Quite a bit more expensive. And If I order from the USA the shipping is expensive and slow and there might be 20% import taxes...
Okay thank you guys. I have found an old really worn one of those smaller gears and I will install it (wouldn't have used it anyways) run it till it dies I guess! Thanks to everyone!!

Doesn't look that bad! If the input gear can still catch onto more than half of the tooth then I think it's fine to leave in. I have a few chips in the teeth on mine but they're all on the edge like yours is. However, the moment you hear it skip when you're running it definitely change it, that's when your input gear will likely break

You could try order from Sweden.. https://www.europerc.com/ , not sure about how much they charge in postal fee.. but give it a try :)
(the company is run by people that are racing in competitions both cars and airplanes).
I was talking about a chop shop, a shop who dismantles RTR cars and sells the spares, it's much cheaper there (guess normal spares are a Rip-Off) We have a lot of normal hobby shops in Austria but thanks anyways :)

See if you can get your hands on shims for the input gear (the little one). Add another shim on the diff, (2 or 3 instead of the standard 1).
Add shims to your diff, even a new one. It will only get worse i.e. having a full backup is the right call to make.

Something like these for the input gear, see if you can find something closer to home.
- 8mm Input gear shims kyo96773:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XRIO28/ 8x12
or
BSR Berserker 1/8 Electric Truggy - Shim 8x12x0.3mm (10pcs) 940813.

Diff shim TEKNO RC LLC 13x16x.1mm, Diff Shims (10), TKR1222

Watch this one and you should be all set.

See if you can get your hands on shims for the input gear (the little one). Add another shim on the diff, (2 or 3 instead of the standard 1).
Add shims to your diff, even a new one. It will only get worse i.e. having a full backup is the right call to make.

Something like these for the input gear, see if you can find something closer to home.
- 8mm Input gear shims kyo96773:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XRIO28/ 8x12
or
BSR Berserker 1/8 Electric Truggy - Shim 8x12x0.3mm (10pcs) 940813.

Diff shim TEKNO RC LLC 13x16x.1mm, Diff Shims (10), TKR1222

Watch this one and you should be all set.
Thanks, would 8x11 or 8x10 shims also work for the input gear?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back