Vorteks Oops, I bought TWO Vorteks'....now what? (Pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakko

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Vorteks
  3. Voltage
Soooo, my Voltage Granite lasted about an hour before I knew I needed something bigger. After a few weeks of research, I decided the BRCC is for me, since I love the longer wheelbase and the looks of the truck (looks alot like my personal truck). Found one for 10% off and was going to go get it, when I saw someone post two Vorteks on Offerup in a lousy post. They were listed as "RC Cars" with no reference to brand or model. Asking price was $650 for just the trucks. I reach out to the guy and he says "I just broke the purple one and don't know how to fix it. Come and get everything right now and you can have it all for $500." Um, OK! Sooo, he bought these on Saturday from the LHS (I have the receipt) and beat the hell out of them for a couple days before losing interest. Both bodies are scratched and scraped with one or two corner cracks (under an inch). One has a blown out rear shock but otherwise works. The other has a stripped spur gear. Both are equally scraped/gouged up. Tires are still good, though are obviously worn. One battery looks like it was dropped and is a little smooshed, the other is like new. Charger is a basic 2s/3s charger, but I do have a charger already. I took both cars over to the same LHS he got them from and picked up some new rear shocks and spur gears, as well as some 50 weight shock oil.

I don't really need twin vehicles, so I'm trying to decide what to do. Do I keep both but set one up for more street driving and the other for bashing? Fix, clean, and sell one to get a different model? I still really like the BR. Do I modify one of the Vorteks to look like a monster truck vs. stadium? Get a Senton? I'm open to ideas.

IMG_7611.jpg

IMG_7612.jpg

IMG_7613.jpg

IMG_7614.jpg

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7616.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7620.jpg

IMG_7621.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg

I'd keep one as a parts donor and continue looking for a Big Rock or a Granite 3S.

Most of the parts on the Vorteks will fit on the other 3S cars, so you will use them eventually and you will be happy to have them in stock.

Sell one for a loss....used doesn't sell well....get a Mojave or Kraton........
Sell one at a loss? Pretty sure I won't have to do that considering the money that I paid. As far as getting bored quickly, there's a difference between a fragile and slow Voltage and nearly everything else in the Arrma stable. The Mojave is an idea, but then I'd be into more batteries.

Awesome, this helps me out as I was trying to gauge what these are worth "used". I may be picking up one locally, they look fun.

Also, why not clean one up, whichever body you like least and post it locally for sale. List it a little higher than what you want and see if there's interest, if not no worries keep it you can still debate what to do.

You could swap one onto a LWB chassis, slap a Big Rock body and some MT tires on it and have a gyro-stabilized BRCC.

Sell one at a loss? Pretty sure I won't have to do that considering the money that I paid. As far as getting bored quickly, there's a difference between a fragile and slow Voltage and nearly everything else in the Arrma stable. The Mojave is an idea, but then I'd be into more batteries.
Ok

I’m
What else is needed for that? I assume a driveshaft.
chassis, front driveshaft section, driveshaft bearing and support, body, body mounts, bumpers. Everything else should swap directly over.

Sounds like minor repairs to get them both running. Those Katar tires will wear out quickly on the road so I'd take the set of the second car and save it for the first and then put on a set of Hoons or GRP tires (put on a set of m2c 17mm hex adapters) and turn it into a street runner.

You could make it LWB but then the body looks a bit funny and you're left with some extra parts. If you turn one into a street car, you can gear up a bit and at the Katars can be used on the first Vorteks so they aren't sitting around in your spare parts bin.

Also, does the battery smell? If it is just compressed a little but not punctured you should be good. Just keep an eye out for swelling

I didn't shove my nose in it, but I'll do that when I get home. I didn't notice any smell in particular though. What should it NOT smell like?

Clean up both and get them in top running condition. Keep the one you like with the best body, tires, etc., and sell the other one. With that money do what you want with it, like put it to another rig, buy parts, beer fund, back in the bank.

You could swap one onto a LWB chassis, slap a Big Rock body and some MT tires on it and have a gyro-stabilized BRCC.
The big rock V3 has Typhon arms , Typhon arms are wider than vorteks theyre same as Senton / granite . Big rock v1/2

Soooo, my Voltage Granite lasted about an hour before I knew I needed something bigger. After a few weeks of research, I decided the BRCC is for me, since I love the longer wheelbase and the looks of the truck (looks alot like my personal truck). Found one for 10% off and was going to go get it, when I saw someone post two Vorteks on Offerup in a lousy post. They were listed as "RC Cars" with no reference to brand or model. Asking price was $650 for just the trucks. I reach out to the guy and he says "I just broke the purple one and don't know how to fix it. Come and get everything right now and you can have it all for $500." Um, OK! Sooo, he bought these on Saturday from the LHS (I have the receipt) and beat the hell out of them for a couple days before losing interest. Both bodies are scratched and scraped with one or two corner cracks (under an inch). One has a blown out rear shock but otherwise works. The other has a stripped spur gear. Both are equally scraped/gouged up. Tires are still good, though are obviously worn. One battery looks like it was dropped and is a little smooshed, the other is like new. Charger is a basic 2s/3s charger, but I do have a charger already. I took both cars over to the same LHS he got them from and picked up some new rear shocks and spur gears, as well as some 50 weight shock oil.

I don't really need twin vehicles, so I'm trying to decide what to do. Do I keep both but set one up for more street driving and the other for bashing? Fix, clean, and sell one to get a different model? I still really like the BR. Do I modify one of the Vorteks to look like a monster truck vs. stadium? Get a Senton? I'm open to ideas.

View attachment 145228

View attachment 145229

View attachment 145230

View attachment 145231

View attachment 145232

View attachment 145233

View attachment 145234

View attachment 145235

View attachment 145236

View attachment 145237

View attachment 145238
Make one a street speed beast make one a super basher,I have one I got it because my senton sux which by the way is being turned into a monster truck instead

Ok, took the broken one apart today and found the bad spur gear. Further investigation revealed what appears to be a bent motor Mount. I’m assuming that these are supposed to be perfectly flat? I suspect PO somehow launched the hell out of this and bent the Mount, which killed the spur. I’ve decided to sell the second buggy and get a Kraton. :)
image.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back