Operation warehouse warrior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterG

Bench Basher
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Senton Mega
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon 3s
  9. Typhon Mega
  10. Vendetta
  11. Vorteks
  12. Infraction 4x4
Hey guys, long time hobbyist for the past 15 years with the occasional break recently getting back into the fold after a short hiatus. This summer I've picked up a Typhon Mega, and a Typhon 3s as well as a Vorteks 3s. The modular design of these Arrma Mega/3s/4s vehicles has me hooked and pretty much ready to sell all my other (nitro) trucks. Moving on into the build thread though and a short explanation of the goal for the build. 1st things first... I'm attempting to keep the costs as significantly reduced as possible while not skimping out on build quality i.e... Budget build. 2nd, it doesn't have to go crazy fast since the available area to operate is constantly changing. Today I might have a 15'x150' lane to go WOT in, while tomorrow I may be limited to a 30'x30' square with a steel post anywhere in that area. 3rd. the floor condition is mostly slick concrete, with some rough patches and some ripples, it's an older building and has flaws so I'm not interested in frequently destroying expensive tires. Finally, simplicity... this is for me to use while I'm at work on those days where I still have to be here because I'm waiting for some reason or another and I've already gotten everything else done. I intend to keep the bench time down to a bare minimum as best as possible.

Starting with the chosen one...
Screenshot 2022-07-21 094916.png

The brushed system and the tx/rx will be available for sale/trade immediately.
I also have a 12t brushed and the tx/rx with approx 1 hour run time on both from my Typhon mega if anyone is interested.
For motor and esc, I'll be pulling the 85a/3300kv combo currently in my Typhon Mega

So far I've decided to use the spektrum dx3 tx I got with my Vorteks 3s since that model is on my dx5c and that controller is just collecting dust. Debating on using either a sr6200a or a sr315 rx that I already have, either one will work with the dx3 for battery level indication. Speaking of the battery, it will be powered by a 5000mah 2s Spektrum G2 the only one of my Spektrum batteries with the IC3 connector this way I won't need the adapter for charging it on the S150 charger.

Day 2 of the build thread.
Still waiting for FedEx... tracking info says it will be delivered tomorrow. It's being delivered to my work so I'll have it for Monday I guess the timing works out nice so I have an RC to open up on my Birthday 🎁:D

In the meantime, I've decided to use that sr6200a receiver I have at home that came in my Vorteks. I just replaced the antenna wire on it since the original one got split in half somehow. It's a little shorter, but the active element of the wire is the same length so it should be good. With this one being a primarily indoors truck at least I have the walls to stop it in the event of signal loss. The AVC is going to get a workout.

New motor and esc for the vorteks should be in tomorrow, it's getting a 130a/1900kv setup and going on some 2.8 Duratrax MT tires. It got some typhon parts on it lastight to give it a wider stance and 17mm hubs in preparation for this whole shuffle. Wondering whether I'll swipe the 651 servo from it and replace it with a 652 or just give the 652 to the infraction right off the bat. Either way that 650 is coming out and going in the spares box for the mega.

Tires, really need to get on the right path with tires. The floor this is going to be running on isn't going to give me very much grip at all once I crank on the throttle past 25% I'd like to have sure traction up until about 50% The 2ho's on the typhon mega barely gripped it at all on only 2s, proline road rages on my mini revo act like the floor is a hockey rink. Soft MT tires give a decent bite but are also twice as wide. There's only going to be so much wiggle room with the gearing, so tires are going to move up the ladder of importance quickly. Yes, I want to be able to smoke them off but not every single time I run it because it doesn't get the traction it needs.

I'll update again on Monday. The anticipation is getting to me

Last edited:
Day 2 of the build thread.
Still waiting for FedEx... tracking info says it will be delivered tomorrow. It's being delivered to my work so I'll have it for Monday I guess the timing works out nice so I have an RC to open up on my Birthday 🎁:D

In the meantime, I've decided to use that sr6200a receiver I have at home that came in my Vorteks. I just replaced the antenna wire on it since the original one got split in half somehow. It's a little shorter, but the active element of the wire is the same length so it should be good. With this one being a primarily indoors truck at least I have the walls to stop it in the event of signal loss. The AVC is going to get a workout.

New motor and esc for the vorteks should be in tomorrow, it's getting a 130a/1900kv setup and going on some 2.8 Duratrax MT tires. It got some typhon parts on it lastight to give it a wider stance and 17mm hubs in preparation for this whole shuffle. Wondering whether I'll swipe the 651 servo from it and replace it with a 652 or just give the 652 to the infraction right off the bat. Either way that 650 is coming out and going in the spares box for the mega.

Tires, really need to get on the right path with tires. The floor this is going to be running on isn't going to give me very much grip at all once I crank on the throttle past 25% I'd like to have sure traction up until about 50% The 2ho's on the typhon mega barely gripped it at all on only 2s, proline road rages on my mini revo act like the floor is a hockey rink. Soft MT tires give a decent bite but are also twice as wide. There's only going to be so much wiggle room with the gearing, so tires are going to move up the ladder of importance quickly. Yes, I want to be able to smoke them off but not every single time I run it because it doesn't get the traction it needs.

I'll update again on Monday. The anticipation is getting to me
Gold hoons or the proline Tire’s have the most grip I think.

Weekend update: it's been a busy one for me with the rest of my fleet. Swapped around some components between them to get the goods for this infraction build. My vorteks 3s and typhon 3s are now both 4s capable with 130a esc's. Moved the 100a/3200kv from the vorteks into my typhon mega and packed up a little bag of stuff to take to work with me tomorrow. Oh and I stopped into my LHS for a few things to contribute into the build too. Pics tomorrow 😁

Day 5 of the build, still no truck yet. What's that old saying... A watched pot never boils ? Yeah, that's it... only when you're excited and expecting to see the delivery truck does it take absolutely ForEverRr to show up.

So, as the weekend progressed I pulled the donor esc/motor combo, it's been a great little combo so far.
IMG_20220725_143251.jpg

packed up the dx3 & ar6200 tx/rx, and pulled the 651 servo from the vorteks
IMG_20220725_143007.jpg

along with a battery and charger
IMG_20220725_143348.jpg

and made a visit to my LHS

yes, I'm well aware that the 3300 may not like the 21/50 combo but it's been pulling around my typhon with no issues with a 16/57 setup and the tires on the typhon are roughly double the size. I'd rather not kill the motor but if it does that's ok too since there are barely any threads left on the mounting holes and it's the only motor in my arrma gang I have with a 1/8 pinion. let's just call it an experiment in the name of SCIENCE

IMG_20220725_143154.jpg
IMG_20220725_143113.jpg

hopefully the medium compound will give me the mix of grip to slip that I'm seeking

on top of all that I remembered that I'd probably need a high speed bearing for the driveshaft and that I had some led headlights I purchased for a different project. I may or may not install the lights but they are a fun idea.

IMG_20220725_143043.jpg

And there it is folks. literally moments after my last post FedEx showed up and I got to take this beauty out of the box. Now to go see just what I have to work with before making any changes.
IMG_20220725_163044.jpg

More to come in the days ahead

Didn't update yesterday because I was having too much fun with this little truck. Of course, that's after I was ready to pull my hair out. I ended up going with the stock 55t spur, and a 16t pinion. Why? Because my hex broke inside of the pinion set screw :mad:. That's ok, just save the 21 for a different project and the same goes for that 50t spur. Which by the way, anyone moving to that spur should realize they will need to modify their slipper pad.

Moving on...

Out with the old
IMG_20220726_100803.jpg

In with the new
IMG_20220726_101539.jpg

IMG_20220727_053457.jpg

2s is great but 3s is more better :geek:

Looks better with the Hoons
IMG_20220727_053613.jpg

All in all, I'm really enjoying this truck 2s is performing nicely and 3s makes it come alive.
Temps seem to be ok even after ripping on it with a 3s pack. Reminding myself to check with temp meter.
The 6200 rx is doing exactly what it's designed to and is easily adjusted with the knob on the dx3
The 651 servo, while not totally necessary is a solid upgrade to make the steering a little more responsive.
Think I might actually set up a camera to get some footage of it drifting by.
The white letter Hoons are giving me an excellent traction profile staying stuck and breaking free at the change of the throttle.
I don't know what kind of top end speed it's currently capable of since only running inside for lack of a gps and any accessible flat smooth places outside.
Lastly, unfortunately the plug adapter to the spektrum charger for the air transmitter battery pack does not fit the included charger. Not that I ever intended on running the NiMH battery myself, just a tidbit for anyone who was considering it.

What happens when you slide an infraction on concrete into a pallet?
20220802_144825.jpg

Ooopsie
What happens when you slide an infraction on concrete into a pallet?
20220802_144825.jpg

Ooopsie
You lift the pallet and take it out so you can rip on it some more.

So after doing the math over on the speed calculator I've come up with the numbers of 23mph on 2s and just shy of 35mph on 3s.
Yes, it is slow compared to many of you guys but considering that this is being used indoors on concrete that's not too shabby.
The real bonus is the throttle limiter and the avc knob on the dx3. These 2 in combination allow me to adjust for the conditions of running space available. That, and I've been allowing drivers who are making deliveries here to the warehouse a chance to run it in an open area while their trucks are being unloaded. These guys have been absolutely baffled at finding out the advancements of the avc and that rc's are capable of going these speeds and beyond. Most of them are in their late 30's and up with the fastest thing they remember as kids doing maybe 10mph at best. So it's my way of helping to grow the hobby a bit.

I've been enjoying this truck so much in fact that I grabbed another one off of scratch and dent to run at home.

Last edited:
Taking this rig home this evening in an attempt at removing the 16t pinion, if successful the 21t pinion will be going on for 30mph on 2s and 45 on 3s
Then, it's time to start working on the other one of these and the Senton I picked up on the same sale. Maybe I'll turn one of the Typhon's I have into a Big Rock? I already have the parts from where I did the long arm conversion to the Vorteks.

I got that pinion loose over the weekend :D🥳 swapped it out to the 21 tooth I had originally purchased and got a nice and easy 33mph out of it on 2s. Yes, it's still slow but it is much livelier on the concrete now. Hmm... now where the heck did I put that 50t spur ? :unsure:

Installed the 50t spur today with no issues. Man this truck is fun. Its twin has been turned into a vendetta. 130a esc, 3900kv motor, 28t pinion into 47t spur on hoons elevens, complete with vendetta body. And it got a respectable 83 mph today. It got hot quick and the esc was clipping out at full pin on 4s. Maybe bumping up to a 150a or 160a will be in order...
20220823_172601.jpg
Screenshot_20220823-174623_RC Gears.jpg

The 3900kv is probably at its max on 4s you would probably need to drop to at least 2200kv for 6s running
I’d go to 2050kv myself for 6s
I've got a 2050kv and a 3150kv at the ready but I'll need to pick up a bigger esc to go to 6s. I think my next run will be the 3150kv with 32t pinion 44t spur on 3s then 4s.

I've got a 2050kv and a 3150kv at the ready but I'll need to pick up a bigger esc to go to 6s. I think my next run will be the 3150kv with 32t pinion 44t spur on 3s then 4s.
So, I swapped out to a 3150kv and changed to the 32t44t pinion spur setup This got me to the same speeds, with the same clipping out at full pin issue as before with the 3900kv. From what I gather it's likely an amperage drawing issue, I'll be reprogramming the punch and timing settings to see if I can get it to stay just under that threshold.

So, I swapped out to a 3150kv and changed to the 32t44t pinion spur setup This got me to the same speeds, with the same clipping out at full pin issue as before with the 3900kv. From what I gather it's likely an amperage drawing issue, I'll be reprogramming the punch and timing settings to see if I can get it to stay just under that threshold.
Can you turn LVC off on that ESC?

It's been a bit since posting to this build thread. My warehouse warrior rig has since gotten a heart transplant with a 130a esc and a 3800kv motor and is an absolute animal now. The chassis is cracked but holding on by a thread, rather the red locking piece at the power module. But for being used pretty regularly and hitting as much stuff as it does it is holding together surprisingly well. I'll probably abandon this thread in favor of a 6s exb platform kit bashing journey before long.

I was debating on starting a new build thread for some kit bashing antics but soon thought why start a new build thread when I can just keep this one going. As some of you know, I post on the what did you break today and what did you buy today threads fairly frequently and recently posted about my first attempt with airbrushing. Considering the warehouse I work at is where I generally do my bench bashing, I've decided to keep this build thread as a centralized location for some of the things I'll be doing with my rigs. Earlier this morning before things picked up I opened up the rear end on the Vorteks to determine the cause of lost rear drive. Surprisingly it wasn't the slipper hub even though it doesn't have a sleeve over the output shaft which will be remedied upon reassembly. Nope, it was simply the input pinion for the diff. And while I could simply just order a new gear and get right back to bashing, I've decided to go a different route. That's right... EXB diffs. Given the rate I've expanded my collection over the past few months and in an effort to offset costs from doing so I've decided to tear down my 3s Typhon with EXB diffs to donate them to the Vorteks and to utilize the rest of the rig as spare parts for the rest of the 3s/Mega side of my fleet.

Oh 3s Typhon with Mojave wheels and tires, you were such an absolute blast to drive.

mojavephon.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back