Typhon Opinion of my new purchase needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W.

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I'm totally new to the hobby and, as a beginner, I intended on purchasing a new Arrma Typhon Mega. However, I found a used upgraded Typhon build that I couldn't pass up for the price. I vetted the seller, who lives not far from me, and is also a friend of a friend. Please read his description and tell me what you think. It's probably much more power than I need right now as a newbie but, again for the price.....

"I dropped in a Hobbywing 4s system from a Redcat Shredder. I upgraded the slipper clutch, mod .8 gearing, heavy duty shocks from the Xray XB9; real deal Italian track racing wheels, and a sweet Spektrum DX2S DSM controller, which has all the bells and whistles. Your nu2u RC car is in awesome racing condition. Comes with a huge 3S 5200 battery and lipo balance charger in the box. $350."

Car.JPG

Car2.JPG

Car3.JPG

Car4.JPG

It looks like a good deal, but get a better charger that can show cell voltages and internal resistance.

Looks like a decent deal.

I would get rid of that IC connector to Deans connector adapter. Have a local hobby shop solder on an IC connector on the battery for you if you are not good with a soldering iron. (Deans T-connectors are junk anyway.)

Those tires are for clay track racing and will wear out fast on the street or park. Plan on replacing those soon unless you will use it only at the race track.

Your new favorite website: https://jennysrc.com/collections/arrma-typhon-4x4-3s-blx-ar102696

Lots of sales-guy talk, but overall the deal looks OK. Radio is old, but so long as it works, it works. Probably have issues getting extra RX's (new Spektrum uses different protocols).
Charger will for "for now" but plan on investing another $100 to get a good charger. Those B3 chargers are really cheap (about $10) from the China web shops, and often don't last long. The one I had made it thru about 6-10 charging cycles before dyeing. But, it is a better charger than those wall-wort "overnight" trickle chargers. But not by a lot.
Xray shocks are very nice, big $$$ there.
Italian racing Tires, who cares, you will want basher tires, or at least a different tire for your local track. (local seller, those tires may work at your local track, but racing tires will wear out quick)
He did add turnbuckles, nice.
5200mah 50c battery is what I would call Standard, not "Huge".
Deans plugs on the battery, yeah, swap that for a EC5 and get rid of the adaptor. Local hobby shop can help with that, if you don't solder.
Servo is not stock, I wonder what he dropped in there. would be hard to be worse than stock, so we will call it an upgrade... :ROFLMAO:

Overall, if you want a 4x4 Typhon, then this looks like a good deal for $350, assuming it all works.

Disassemble the diffs to check if they are in good condition, and grease them.

I don’t think Hobbywing has a blue motor - looks more like a Surpass motor. Looks like the plastic mega tie rods were also swapped out too. I see some good things done and some not so good things done. I suppose you need to ask if that’s what you’re looking for because if you need to start swapping out tires or have to pay someone so change battery connectors, it starts adding up and you also end up with a car that has no warranty.

UPDATE:
The Typhon arrived safe and sound. I took it to my local Hobby Town and asked them to check it out. They told me I should invest in a better charger, but the rest looked good. We started it up and it ran nicely too. Can't wait to get it outside and blast it down my block!!!

Well, over all the thing works and described. Looks to have good to decent "upgrades" and if there's nothing wrong with the diffs and clutch AND you're having Fun, then it's a good deal for you.

Keep us posted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back