opinion on traxxas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good brand, a bit pricey, a good bashing alternative, let's leave it at that :LOL:

Attachments

• Rage-on-a-Black-Keyboard-with-a-finger-pressing-red-colour-enter-button.jpg
    Rage-on-a-Black-Keyboard-with-a-finger-pressing-red-colour-enter-button.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 53
Check out my painful thread on the X-maxx vs Kraton 8s. It certainly brought out the passion in everyone.

My thoughts are they are playing in the same pool but are different in lots of ways.

Traxxas are generally more expensive to buy\maintain long term but availability is great. Every hobby shop has parts and trucks to look at. There are some questions around reliability in some of their models (*cough X-maxx ESC, Drive-line) but both sides have their faults really so its an argument as to which is better\worse (*cough Spectrum Controller, Kraton Chassis).

Arrma are the newer\innovator on the block. They have some great vehicles with new ideas at decent prices however parts availability is not as great.

I have both, and appreciate them equally and for different reasons. It really depends on what you're looking for.

I am almost 40 and recently a friend of mine won a Typhon in a raffle and brought it over which prompted me to buy a Traxxas Slash Ultimate 4x4. I am in no way loyal to any one brand, but I feel that Traxxas could do better. Any quick search will show you that although the Slash brushless setup is rated for 3s, running it on 3s can quickly cause it to overheat. I feel if their vehicles are rated for 3s, they should be able to bash on 3s for a whole battery without overheating. Especially for the price. The E Revo 2.0 is another car that really interests me, but it's also known to be a bit delicate for a basher. Their Maxx has a pretty decent reputation for being a solid basher, search around, there is actually a Maxx thread around here. Traxxas ESCs are also another known weak point, but I hear that their customer service is good about swapping them out.

What Traxxas has your attention?

I am almost 40 and recently a friend of mine won a Typhon in a raffle and brought it over which prompted me to buy a Traxxas Slash Ultimate 4x4. I am in no way loyal to any one brand, but I feel that Traxxas could do better. Any quick search will show you that although the Slash brushless setup is rated for 3s, running it on 3s can quickly cause it to overheat. I feel if their vehicles are rated for 3s, they should be able to bash on 3s for a whole battery without overheating. Especially for the price. The E Revo 2.0 is another car that really interests me, but it's also known to be a bit delicate for a basher. Their Maxx has a pretty decent reputation for being a solid basher, search around, there is actually a Maxx thread around here. Traxxas ESCs are also another known weak point, but I hear that their customer service is good about swapping them out.

Haven't seen any RTR that can bash a whole "rated for" pack without over heating per what "they" say is overheating, or even thermaling..

I often hear that the 3s traxxas esc's are a weak point. I don't agree at allbut this is based on personal experience. I bought the first model rustler vxl when it came out 10+ years ago. That combo is still going strong with zero maintenance after 10 years and hundreds of battery packs through it. Im running bigger tires on the rustler and geared way up for getting it to 75-80 mph. Ive cooked that motor to 240 deg tons of times. The combo will not die. I think maybe the problem with their electronics may stem from QC issues because in my experience when they work like intended, they are my favorite 3s bashing combo going. I put one of them in my torment 4x4 and its nuts as well. Constantly cooking the electronics and they will not die.

Traxxas is overpriced for what you get. Compare the equivalent models between Arrma and Traxxas and you'll see what I mean.

The OP asked so I'm sharing. This has been my experience:
I owned XL5 brushed 1/10 model then we got a VXL brushless of the same model. There wasn't much difference in the components between the 2. The plastic out-drives on VXL model stripped on first use with 3S. The VXL always overheated during any bash session using the stock pinion and would have to wait 10-minutes, half way through, to avoid damaging the motor/esc. Usually let it rest at the 180F temp. The VXL required upgrades to the suspension and drive shafts to bash on 3S. When I got back into RC with my son we each had a Traxxas. One day after a bash he said, "are these supposed to break every-time we play with them?" At that time we only did small jumps and surface bashing in school yards in the evenings. To this day whenever I have a repeat issue with one of our Arrmas (pivot ball unscrewing from A-arm) he'll make a comment about it reminds him of the Traxxas. I'm convinced that the Traxxas business model is based on the aftermarket "upgrades". They build these things with the intention of them failing when under proper use which leads you to spend more money on upgrades.

My experience with Arrma 6S models is that the stock components perform for the intended use. When I bash at full speed, do standing backflips, medium jumps (10'-12') and land properly I have no issues. I've found these to even take significant abuse (e.g. multiple cartwheels, medium speed collisions into poles, nose dives, roof plants) and drive away. I've not had any overheating issues with any of the Arrmas when running on stock pinion and tires with the exception of the Infraction. The motor has gotten pretty toasty (170ish F) but that's as hot as it gets and I'm able to run through a full battery without having to stop for a cool down. This was never the case with the Traxxas models I had.

My opinion of Traxxas is that they make a decent RTR at the lower power levels, but fail to upgrade the stock components to match the increased power systems, which I believe is by design. The exception could be the XMaxx or the Maxx as I've heard "big talk" about their durability, but I can't share first hand experience bc I don't own one.

I have no personal experience with T but I will never own one due to their corporate policies of bullying people with legal actions. They are on my ignore list.

so from my experience it was good at first then go through gearing problems and a chassis later i have trouble with using a slash as a basher so yeah i used to think traxxas was good when i started back in the summer of 2019

The fact that they pretty much think they invented everything rc and sue any competition is enough to guarantee I’ll never purchase anything from them, If I ever want something other than an arrma I’ll go losi.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back