Optional pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No you can't. It's for some minimal speed runs with a lot of cool down in between.
You will burn up your motor if you are bashing, fans won't prevent that either.

I believe stock is 12T and speed pinion is 20T. You want to be in the 15T range for bashing but you will have to add fans.

Glad i posted on here to find that out saves me trying it and breaking stuff! Many thanks for your speedy reply :) i think i will just stick to keeping it stock for the time being.

Kind regards mark

Yeah bud, they bolt straight on. Not much to it.
The dual yeah racing fans are probably the go. You’ll have to grab a Y splitter which could possibly be sold separately. Run that to the AUX port in your receiver box and you’re away.

Are you an Aussie? If your LHS doesn’t have any Hobbies Direct or Modelflight are probably the best online shops to purchase from. Fast shipping too.

When my Kraton v3 was stock I ran it on the speed pinion only. After the first pack I knew if the electrics would not hold up to the 15t pinion I would not want them anyway. If you keep close to it’s stock weight, tires and use sensible sized batteries it will be fine. Summertime heat and high grass you will want to keep an eye on the temperatures.

You can mount a fan with a fan mount alone or get a Heatsink with fan mounts. I think both are just as efficient. It's the fans CFM's that really matter.
FWIW, the Not./OC comes with a Speed gear 16T pinion vs the 15T Speed gear for the Kraton. Both have same Final drive ratio's and same overall size tires. With a negligible weight difference between both in stock trim.?‍♂️ I run 16T pinion in my Kraton with a Dual YR HS/Fan setup on the motor. Its been fine. Even with bashing.
I use a temp gun here and there. If you don't have a temp gun/meter, better get one with your very next purchase. Or don't come back here crying why your ESC is going Thermal and/or your motor/ESC fried.?
?

Last edited:
When my Kraton v3 was stock I ran it on the speed pinion only. After the first pack I knew if the electrics would not hold up to the 15t pinion I would not want them anyway. If you keep close to it’s stock weight, tires and use sensible sized batteries it will be fine. Summertime heat and high grass you will want to keep an eye on the temperatures.
Hey thanks for the reply, im going to get the extra fans on the motor, i think ill do that before anything else to be on the safe side
You can mount a fan with a fan mount alone or get a Heatsink with fan mounts. I think both are just as efficient. It the fans CFM's that really matter.
FWIW, the Not./OC come with a Speed gear 16T pinion vs the 15T Speed gear for the Kraton. Both have same Final drive ratio'a and same overall size tires. ?‍♂️ I run 16T pinion in my Kraton with a Dual YR HS/Fan setup on the motor. Its been fine. Even with bashing.
I use a temp gun here and there. If you don't have a temp gun/meter, better get one with your very next purchase. Or don't come back here crying why your ESC is going Thermal and/or your motor/ESC fried.?
?
I better get shopping for a temp gun then! Haha ?

Many thanks for the reply

Hey thanks for the reply, im going to get the extra fans on the motor, i think ill do that before anything else to be on the safe side
If you’re running on bare dirt you might even be able to go a little stronger, maybe 16t especially with fans. Even the standard cheaper setups will knock 20-30f off of the motor. Heavy upgrades, big tires, and large heavy batteries will tax the stock electrics though.

I only run my K6s on 15t pinion for bashing. Grab a heatsink with dual fans and as long as your not full throttle and going crazy you will be fine. Also if you want any kind of air control for backflips etc the 12t doesn't cut it at all. Here's some video from my channel bashing my v4 K6s on the 15t pinion?

If you’re running on bare dirt you might even be able to go a little stronger, maybe 16t especially with fans. Even the standard cheaper setups will knock 20-30f off of the motor. Heavy upgrades, big tires, and large heavy batteries will tax the stock electrics though.
Thanks pal so your saying 16t with fans ? I was only going to put the optional pinion gear in thats 15t, and when you say electrics do you mean just steering servo

Many thanks
16t is borderline on my noto with two 3s 6000mah batts. I have not bashed yet just thrashed on dirt rds and short grass. Thermaled on me one time. Iv got a 14 and 15t coming.
Hey thats the only surfaces i really use, dry dirt, very short grass and roads i don't go to skate parks yet as im still learning the ropes

Many thanks
I only run my K6s on 15t pinion for bashing. Grab a heatsink with dual fans and as long as your not full throttle and going crazy you will be fine. Also if you want any kind of air control for backflips etc the 12t doesn't cut it at all. Here's some video from my channel bashing my v4 K6s on the 15t pinion?
Hey! Thanks for the vid i enjoyed watching it! Also i have just subscribed to your channel ?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the sub! And by electronics we mean your motor and ESC. Can't let temps get to high or you will burn out your motor and high gearing puts more stress on your ESC as well which will cause damage over time.

Thanks for the sub! And by electronics we mean your motor and ESC. Can't let temps get to high or you will burn out your motor and high gearing puts more stress on your ESC as well which will cause damage over time.
No problem look forward to more uploads :)and how do I know when its too hot? After ive used my car i can touch the motor its just warm not red hot but im only gentle with the throttle lol

Hi guys is this fan any good i picked up today? Its a hobby wing heatsink and fan

Many thanks

Screenshot_20201224-212131_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Well I took my Kraton out with the optional speed pinion for the first time today - full 30 minutes run on tarmac and short wet grass at around 3 celsius, the motor was never hot to touch.

OP I got the same heatsink and fan, whilst the fan is powerful enough to keep the motor cool, the heatsink is a little too big so you will have to bend a bit. Be careful when mounting the fan back onto the bent heatsink as the top of the heatsink is no longer flat, it can crack your fan if you tighten the fan down too tight. Ask me how I know... :LOL:

IMG_20201012_192553.jpg

IMG_20201012_203453.jpg

Last edited:
Back