Typhon Optional Pinion Installed heat sink + fan for off road?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrIsOnRiOt414

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Everyone I got a question. I just installed the optional pinion in my typhon 6s. It says clearly not to go off road with the bigger pinion in. If I put a heat sink and fan around the blx engine if i go off road will it burn the engine?

Attachments

• 20200116_194216.jpg
    20200116_194216.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 128
I run 5200mah packs through my senton with a 19t pinion and only have heat troubles on the hottest (100f) days... you’ll be fine with that 16t... temp gun is useful though yes

I think the Yeah Racing heatsink fits but don't quote me on that.

And omg what happened to your motor mount? It looks like you stripped every single screw and had to dremel them out.

I think the Yeah Racing heatsink fits but don't quote me on that.

And omg what happened to your motor mount? It looks like you stripped every single screw and had to dremel them out.
Haha yea casualty of war! I did strip out just about every screw. Had to dremel off the old pinion because of the grub screw/ set screw stripped. Took me about an hour. The shaft did get a tiny bit damaged but still fine. I was just doing speed runs this morning and this thing is probably hitting 60-70 mph with no problems. When I first installed the pinion I messed it up bad. It worked for about 2 minutes. The set screw wasn't tight enough and the shaft was spinning but not the pinion. And the noise sounded terrible. I fixed up that issue last night once I got to the work bench. Got the set screw nice and tight. And for the meshing I put a piece of paper in between the center diff and pinion. I made sure the paper was able to move back and forth between the gears. Tighten it down and Viola! meshing was perfect. I'm running a Venom 6s 5000mAH 22.2 volt 50c. Thing is going fast as hell. Love it!
I run 5200mah packs through my senton with a 19t pinion and only have heat troubles on the hottest (100f) days... you’ll be fine with that 16t... temp gun is useful though yes
I'm thinking about getting that telemetry engine temp sensor today. But the stupid thing is like 50 bucks for a crappy little piece of electronics. Looks like you just tape the sensor to the motor then my remote LCD will show me the engine temp. What is too hot for these engines? Fahrenheit though please I'm not in Europe. And if you do hit a hotter temp what do you do? Just stop running and let it cool down? Or use an upside down can of compressed air to lower the temp immediately?

Last edited:
I have a similar question for my Notorious but I would like to know, rather, if there is an ESC/motor combo that could achieve the same goal, not overheating, off-road, with the optional pinion. (I don't mean to hijack but I don't want make a dupe thread either, not sure, let me know)

Haha yea casualty of war! I did strip out just about every screw. Had to dremel off the old pinion because of the grub screw/ set screw stripped. Took me about an hour. The shaft did get a tiny bit damaged but still fine. I was just doing speed runs this morning and this thing is probably hitting 60-70 mph with no problems. When I first installed the pinion I messed it up bad. It worked for about 2 minutes. The set screw wasn't tight enough and the shaft was spinning but not the pinion. And the noise sounded terrible. I fixed up that issue last night once I got to the work bench. Got the set screw nice and tight. And for the meshing I put a piece of paper in between the center diff and pinion. I made sure the paper was able to move back and forth between the gears. Tighten it down and Viola! meshing was perfect. I'm running a Venom 6s 5000mAH 22.2 volt 50c. Thing is going fast as hell. Love it!

I'm thinking about getting that telemetry engine temp sensor today. But the stupid thing is like 50 bucks for a crappy little piece of electronics. Looks like you just tape the sensor to the motor then my remote LCD will show me the engine temp. What is too hot for these engines? Fahrenheit though please I'm not in Europe. And if you do hit a hotter temp what do you do? Just stop running and let it cool down? Or use an upside down can of compressed air to lower the temp immediately?
Just buy a temp gun for $15 shipped on eBay ... I didnt even know these had telemetry stock.

And yeah you just let it cool down
I have a similar question for my Notorious but I would like to know, rather, if there is an ESC/motor combo that could achieve the same goal, not overheating, off-road, with the optional pinion. (I don't mean to hijack but I don't want make a dupe thread either, not sure, let me know)
A lot of people like the max6 and leopard/hobbystar 4092 setup, or a mm2 and 4092 setup

I had a 14t in my Notorious and it got very hot. Over 200F at one point. So I bought and installed the Yeah Racing fan and dramatically brought the temps down. I just installed the optional 16T and will be testing that out. But I also ordered a RR 15T pinion which I think is going to be my "sweet spot" pinion. I personally don't see myself changing out the ESC or motor anytime soon unless theres a failure. And even then Id probably just warranty it and stay stock. Its already ridiculously fast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back