Granite Ordered Granite BLX - excited!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylar000

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey,

I used to mess about with a Tamiya Cosworth about 20 years ago and decided to get my son (6) into RC cars to relive a bit of my youth and avoid questions from the wife ;)

I purchased the Granite 4x4 BLX which is like a joint Xmas present for my son and me. I have a 3S and a 2S battery - obviously he will use the 2S for a while.

I have also read that I can use the controller to turn down the throttling a little which I will do when he is in control.

I am still slightly worried about the power, but wanted something he can grow into, is there anything else I can do to reduce the speed whilst he gets used to it?

Thanks

Hey,

I used to mess about with a Tamiya Cosworth about 20 years ago and decided to get my son (6) into RC cars to relive a bit of my youth and avoid questions from the wife ;)

I purchased the Granite 4x4 BLX which is like a joint Xmas present for my son and me. I have a 3S and a 2S battery - obviously he will use the 2S for a while.

I have also read that I can use the controller to turn down the throttling a little which I will do when he is in control.

I am still slightly worried about the power, but wanted something he can grow into, is there anything else I can do to reduce the speed whilst he gets used to it?

Thanks
Welcome to the Arrma Forum family @Sylar000! You can also adjust the punch from the esc. Stock setting is 3 of 5. If it wheelies a little too much when launching, you can knock it down to 1 or 2. Won't change the speed, but helps in overall control. It's all in the manual on how to adjust. Hope you both enjoy it!

Welcome to the Arrma Forum family @Sylar000! You can also adjust the punch from the esc. Stock setting is 3 of 5. If it wheelies a little too much when launching, you can knock it down to 1 or 2. Won't change the speed, but helps in overall control. It's all in the manual on how to adjust. Hope you both enjoy it!

I did see that in the manual, will leave it to start with and give him lots of open space :) otherwise I can tone it down a bit. Thank you!

The Granite on 2S is relatively tame with the punch turned down. It really wakes up on 3S.

The Granite on 2S is relatively tame with the punch turned down. It really wakes up on 3S.

Thanks for confirming. I have also spoken to a friend about potentially 3D printing a piece which could slot behind the throttle trigger to prevent it being pushed all the way down. Just want to make sure he enjoys it rather than having little control and getting bored.

Thanks for confirming. I have also spoken to a friend about potentially 3D printing a piece which could slot behind the throttle trigger to prevent it being pushed all the way down. Just want to make sure he enjoys it rather than having little control and getting bored.
Yep that would work too. A piece of foam held by some tape would work too if the 3D print becomes too difficult. ?

a small piece of rubber tubing, similar to rc fuel lines, will also slide on to the trigger to help limit. I believe that with a little time on 2s in an open area, you will be surprised how quickly a young person will learn control. Ever seen a child with a video game controller? They learn hand eye coordination very quickly because they are subjected to it almost every day while playing on electronic devices. Give them a chance and I'm sure they will shock you.

You can install a lower pinion. Stock is 15T but you could use 13T

Other than the shocks which weren't successful for me, I love the Granite BLX - a real hoot!.

As to your boy, depends on his age/ability and where you will run it... My son started a bit on crawler / slowish set ups at 4ish and progressed from there... I still wouldn't let him drive a 6S at the skatepark mind but he's cool with 3S now on the BLX and 4S Outcast.

As others have mentioned, turn down punch and limit the throttle physically, or else get a smaller pinion fitted. Or Sod it and make sure you go to a big field till he gets pro!.

Thats Deans on the actual battery - the Granite should have come with IC5(the yellow ones) you can snip it off one by one and solder on EC5s which are compatible- or makeup a connector from deans to EC5 or buy one - I always advice against connectors

edit: amazon uk link - are you in the uk?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Another question - I bought this battery to use as a 2S but realised it doesn't have the correct adapter, should I return it or can be be adapted?

This is the battery: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLOUREON-5200mAh-Helicopter-Airplane-Quadcopter/dp/B07N66DC3N/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3AJPWO5ET43IY&keywords=2s+lipo+battery&qid=1576526621&sprefix=2s+,aps,152&sr=8-5&th=1

Deans are pretty popular to be fair. You can either get an adapter or solder on a matching connector to either the battery or speed controller. Or of course can always return it and try find one with the right connector..... Hehe..

Yeah those will do - they are cheap enough else I would have checked if I still got one around and thrown it your way

Thanks for confirming will buy a couple. Appreciate the gesture.

How does it differ? Just better connection without the double connection?

Can you recommend a battery / site for UK?
The Deans connector has a lot more electrical resistance than the EC5. Try your best to avoid adapters.

I am pretty sure most UK guys get theirs from HobbyKing. Turnigy is the brand that I hear a lot from UK guys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back