Outcast Ordered my 1/5 Outcast Roller and motor, what pinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synic

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Vorteks
I just ordered a 1/5 Outcast.

I also ordered a Mamba Monster X along with a 1260kv motor.

I was wondering what size pinion I should get for it.

Last edited:
It really depends on many factors. One, which spur will you run. 47t or 39t. What kind of terrain are you going to be running on and how hard are you planning on pushing it. What are the Temps like in your area, and do you have a decent heat sink and fan. Are you planning on modding and upgrading i.e. adding weight to the rig? Are you dead set on the esc and motor combo you have? Or is it just a starting point. These are all factors. I would say get multiple sizes from 26t to 36t. Get a temp gun, because summertime bashing and what these are meant to do, with the mamba X/1260kv combo will run hot with the weight of the 8s rigs in general. Most people here run either a max 5 combo or a castle xlx2 combo. I personally started off with an xlx2/800kv. I geared that 37/39 Since then I've added a max5/5687 1100kv, geared it 28/39 and currently I'm running the max 5 with a hobbystar 980kv and geared it 30/39.

Last edited:
I do have a temp gun already, so set there.
I was planning on running the stock 47T spur as a starting point, and didn't really want to mod it heavily (no M2C or anything).
I live in Colorado, so we get into the 90's, and I'm not a hardcore basher. Some jumps, but it will also be going full trigger on occasion.

I'll see how the Monster X works, and if it winds up not performing as well as I'd like I'll probably swap to a Max5 combo.

I'm starting a little conservatively with a 23t pinion, but I'll probably gear up to a 26t pinion pretty quick.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll see how the Monster X works, and if it winds up not performing as well as I'd like I'll probably swap to a Max5 combo.

I'm starting a little conservatively with a 23t pinion, but I'll probably gear up to a 26t pinion pretty quick.

Thanks for all the info.
Have fun....my O8 exb is my favorite. Super fun times!

Anyone running 34/34 or 39/39 here on the outcast 8s? That's what I'm building now.
I finally got a replacement servo in the mail to replace my crappy savox (never again) with a knock off 100kg servo off of aliexpress. In that time since its cooling down i decieded to up my gearing since i was tearing into the truck. I was running 29/39 with my xlx2/hobbystar 980kv. I went alittle overboard with swapping in a 37, so now im at 37/39 with a cheapo sky rc motor fan. Took it out for a shakedown on my street and damn...its ALOT. Im running beadlocked trenchers also. I left alot of rubber on my street.
It was pretty warm after about 10 minutes of full trigger pulls but for bashing it will be alright.
I guess 1 to 1 or near gearing will depend on what motor you run, how you drive and ambient temps in your area.

Just an update....i ran my 37/39 this weekend.
For grass speed runs it was impressive. Went over to the bmx spot next and ended uo noodling 3 of 4 outdrives (stock in rear and rcawd front). Suffice to say, im going back to 30/39. I didnt dig it too much. It ran too hot for me. Also, Ive been im need of new outdrives anyway...ive pounded em out striaght multiple times...so it was inevitable.

Just an update....i ran my 37/39 this weekend.
For grass speed runs it was impressive. Went over to the bmx spot next and ended uo noodling 3 of 4 outdrives (stock in rear and rcawd front). Suffice to say, im going back to 30/39. I didnt dig it too much. It ran too hot for me. Also, Ive been im need of new outdrives anyway...ive pounded em out striaght multiple times...so it was inevitable.
May I ask what you're running for a motor and ESC

May I ask what you're running for a motor and ESC
Im currently running am xlx2 with a hobbystar 980kv. I dig it. The motor is smooth and i got it for $180. Rcdude81 uses em, and at the time i had a castle 800kv that i wasnt too keen on and the 1100s were nowhere to be found. So i rolled the dice with the Hobbystar. I think the 980kv is a nice sweet spot between the 1100 and 800s.
Anyway, im back to running a 30/39 but i think i could get away with a 32/39 with the 980 if i had a 32t. For now 30/39 runs cool all day long hitting it hard.

I'm curious to see what you did not like about the 800 kv, because that's what I run in my K8 with the smaller MM8S.

I'm running a 32t pinion on the stock spur, but I recently purchase the 34 pinion and a 34 spur as well as a 39 pinion and 39 spur to try out 1:1 gearing.

I'm curious to see what you did not like about the 800 kv, because that's what I run in my K8 with the smaller MM8S.

I'm running a 32t pinion on the stock spur, but I recently purchase the 34 pinion and a 34 spur as well as a 39 pinion and 39 spur to try out 1:1 gearing.
Well in a kraton it a more of a speed running long jumping vehicle. With an Outcast, for me at least, air rotation is paramount and an 800 just doesn't spin up quick enough without putting it at 1:1 or overdrive it or run 10 or 12s. 800s arent bad....hell im keeping mine for a future max4 12s build in something.

Well in a kraton it a more of a speed running long jumping vehicle. With an Outcast, for me at least, air rotation is paramount and an 800 just doesn't spin up quick enough without putting it at 1:1 or overdrive it or run 10 or 12s. 800s arent bad....hell im keeping mine for a future max4 12s build in something.
Interesting.
I have the 800kv in my K8 and I put the stock 1250kv K8 motor into the O8 roller I got with a new max 5 esc.

I plan on making my K8 1:1

Haven't tested it fully yet, weeding out some electrical issues.

I don't know if the spektrum 1250kv in the O8 is going to do it. Wasnt blown away when I tried it for the first time time yesterday with the following setup:

O8 EXB
MAX 5
SPEKTRUM 1250KV
47 SPUR
29 PINION
SMC 8600mah 150c 4s batteries
Primal RC 950 oz/in servo

Last edited:
I don't know if the spektrum 1250kv in the O8 is going to do it. Wasnt blown away when I tried it for the first time time yesterday with the following setup:

O8 EXB
MAX 5
SPEKTRUM 1250KV
46 SPUR
29 PINION
SMC 8600mah 150c 4s batteries
Primal RC 950 oz/in servo
You could try to gear up and see how it does. I run 31/47 with 1270kv tp motor and a max 5 and it was perfect. Hell I could even maybe gear up a little more.

Im currently running am xlx2 with a hobbystar 980kv. I dig it. The motor is smooth and i got it for $180. Rcdude81 uses em, and at the time i had a castle 800kv that i wasnt too keen on and the 1100s were nowhere to be found. So i rolled the dice with the Hobbystar. I think the 980kv is a nice sweet spot between the 1100 and 800s.
Anyway, im back to running a 30/39 but i think i could get away with a 32/39 with the 980 if i had a 32t. For now 30/39 runs cool all day long hitting it hard.
what didnt you like about the castle xlx2 and 800kv motor. i haven't heard much opinion on that 800kv motor so im still debating 800 0r 1100.

I felt it didn't have the response of the higher kv motors. Even at 1:1. I might revisit it later. Adding metal diff housings and diff carriers and a basher plate to an already heavy truck has me in the mid to high 30s depending on which batteries I use

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back