Ordered some OEM coils off of eBay and they’re defective

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoNoHarm

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
It’s kind of pathetic really. Was doing a tune up on my friend’s 07 tC. Plugs and coils. Went with NGK iridium plugs because they’re the factory supplier. Denso is the factory supplier for coils. Sharp car it’s one of those RS 3.0’s or whatever, rare and stuff. So I throw in some OEM coils I got off of eBay (conformed with the seller that they are actually Denso coils, and they even had Toyota on the side which means it’s a factory coil, not even an OEM reproduction) and I do a 10 minute test drive, car is fine. Hand him the keys, he takes off. The next day (today) he called me saying the car is missing and doesn’t feel right. So I get him to pull up. He says it doesn’t misfire till it’s been driving for 10 or 15 minutes. It was missing while idling in my driveway. He shuts it off, we throw a shop fan at the car to cool it down and catch up. Little while later, we hop in, start it up, runs fine. 15 minutes of driving later, starts missing. If you floor it, it cleans up though. So we drive it back, sitting in the driveway idling and missing. We replace each coil one at a time while the car is running with the ones that came out. The last one, when we switched it out, car ran normal. Hurry up, take the old one out, put the defective one back in, starts missing again. Unbelievable. You specifically but OEM coils because you’re not supposed to end up with issues like this! If I wanted a bad coil out of the box I would’ve just saved 70% of his cash and went with cheap aftermarket ones ?‍♂️ refund in session. Here’s the junk “new” coils. Smh man.
image.jpg

Sorry to hear that. Kind of similar but I don’t buy spark plugs on eBay...they’re basically all fake.

Id never heard of a RS 3.0 TC either, kinda neat
Yeah I hear that a lot but to be honest, with every seller I confirm that they’re genuine, they never have an issue. I kinda just veer away from the suspect ones. And as per usual, the plugs were fine! Damn coils man. I’m never buying coils or anything automotive from that seller again. Whoever sold me the plugs was a different seller entirely so he’s all good.

And yeah it’s an RS 3.0 it’s sweet. Not my style but not a bad looking car. Put a motor in it 70k miles ago (it’s at 150k)

Yup. Previous owner killed the motor because it was constantly burning oil and it was ran low too many times. The motor we put in was low miles (30k apparently) and burns a ton of oil too. He puts 5 quarts in by the time it’s time for an oil change 4000 miles later. I’ll tell you what though. It runs like a clock and the cats are mint. The oil plugs were pretty shot but they were original with 150k miles on them. I work on a lot of Toyota 2.4’s. Definitely burn a lot of oil. Apparently some of the cars had the piston rings installed wrong so that’s why they burn so much. The cars are made so well that it affects absolutely nothing, you just gotta keep oil in it though.

Never, ever heard about them burning coolant and I have never ever seen one burning coolant. Even after overheating you’d be hard pressed to blow a head gasket in one of those.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back