Talion Ordering Talion Tomorrow - am I making the right decision?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipper

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This has most likely been covered a thousand times but just looking for some reassurance really.

I will mostly be using the truggy at the location pictured, does the Talion look suitable for this?

Is the Talion a good choice at this price point?

I have also looked at the Teckno MT410 but I think the cost and complexity will just go up and up. The Kraton looks nice but the Talion looks like it will be lighter, more nimble and the ground clearance is listed as being only 2mm less that the Kraton so it seems a no brainer to me.

I have already ordered the Skyrc B6 Nano Duo charger.

I have also ordered a couple of 3s Youme 5200Mah 50c batteries off Amazon and various adaptors. Don't think I have made a great decision on the batteries but Amazon are usually really good with returns and refunds so if they turn out to be rubbish I should be able to get a refund.
Finding stock at the moment on chargers and batteries is also tricky!

Is there anything else I need to get me up and running, except car/charger (includes powers supply)/batteries/adapters?

I take it that in the current situation we are unlikely to see any updates or new models?

Any advice appreciated:)

Cheers,
Kip

Attachments

• 20170219_152118.jpg
    20170219_152118.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20170219_152135.jpg
    20170219_152135.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 20170219_152141.jpg
    20170219_152141.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20170219_152207.jpg
    20170219_152207.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170219_152213.jpg
    20170219_152213.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20170219_152231.jpg
    20170219_152231.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170219_152255.jpg
    20170219_152255.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20170219_152330.jpg
    20170219_152330.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20170219_152335.jpg
    20170219_152335.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170219_152411.jpg
    20170219_152411.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20170219_152423.jpg
    20170219_152423.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 57
Should be fine. Definitely cheaper than the Tekno and more stable due to being lower and longer. I just switched to Talion wheels on my Kraton and still have enough clearance! And they grip better off and on road. Your talion will rip through that terrain!

You may want to swap the servo and radio later on...

And that charger isn't ideal at 100W/channel but it'll do, it will take a bit longer to charge than if you went with 150 or more watts.

welcome to the forums!!!

The Talion is a Rocket and handles great! Looking at the above pictures I'd say the talion is going to need a tire upgrade, I personally run Backflip lp tires on my talion. They will give you a lot more car control in air for jumping than the stock katars For batteries I would suggest HRBs here's link to the ones I run
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX64YRM/ref=psdc_2234134011_t1_B06XT6L382
The Kraton out of the box would awesome to run in play ground you pictured I have both trucks and enjoy driving either, I run 14 tooth pinion on the Kraton and 15 tooth pinion on the talion you have a blast with either truck

Should be fine. Definitely cheaper than the Tekno and more stable due to being lower and longer. I just switched to Talion wheels on my Kraton and still have enough clearance! And they grip better off and on road. Your talion will rip through that terrain!

You may want to swap the servo and radio later on...

And that charger isn't ideal at 100W/channel but it'll do, it will take a bit longer to charge than if you went with 150 or more watts.

Thanks for your reply Nino!

I was originally ordering a 6s battery and single channel 150w 20A charger but I couldn't get the batteries by Wednesday so have gone back to the idea or running 2 x 3s. The SkyRC worked out good value at £105 which built in power supply. It's my birthday on Wednesday and am treating myself hence trying to get the bits sorted for Wednesday:)

How long do you think it will take the batteries to charge?

Cheers,
Kip
welcome to the forums!!!

The Talion is a Rocket and handles great! Looking at the above pictures I'd say the talion is going to need a tire upgrade, I personally run Backflip lp tires on my talion. They will give you a lot more car control in air for jumping than the stock katars For batteries I would suggest HRBs here's link to the ones I run
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XX64YRM/ref=psdc_2234134011_t1_B06XT6L382
The Kraton out of the box would awesome to run in play ground you pictured I have both trucks and enjoy driving either, I run 14 tooth pinion on the Kraton and 15 tooth pinion on the talion you have a blast with either truck

Thanks for this, I will take a look at the batteries and more than happy to upgrade the tyres:)

Oh, I didn't realise you wanted 2x3s originally, in that case you'll be able to charge at 1C ?

I get all my batteries from hobbyking, btw

Great choice on the Talion, you will love it.
Upgrade order: #1 Radio/RX honestly I don't even recommend running with the stock radio
#2 Servo, something like this works fine: DS3225 25KG Metal Gear High Torque Waterproof Digital Servo For RC Z3U0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DS3225-25K...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
#3 Stock tires will be fine for some time. Backflip LP is my next upgrade.

Charge time is simple match: At 100W (charger); battery voltage (6S ~ 23V), battery capacity 5200mAh (5.2Ah)

Time for a 6S; h= (23V*5.2A)/100W =1.19h=72min
That is theoretical. I'd guess you will be in the 1h range in this setup if you utilize both channels.
Typically you start with your batteries at storage (~3.8V), or if they are 'empty' you will only charge back up to storage levels.
Single channel (200W but you will set the charger to 5.2A; it will be ~ 45min,
Theory is not as straight forward as the charge mode will change from the last ~ 15 min will never change based on balancing etc.

Blast away!

Oh, I didn't realise you wanted 2x3s originally, in that case you'll be able to charge at 1C ?

I get all my batteries from hobbyking, btw
I got to the checkout on Friday on hobbyking then it told me they aren't shipping:(
That charger can do 200w 16A to 1 channel I believe or spread 200w 16A between channels.
Great choice on the Talion, you will love it.
Upgrade order: #1 Radio/RX honestly I don't even recommend running with the stock radio
#2 Servo, something like this works fine: DS3225 25KG Metal Gear High Torque Waterproof Digital Servo For RC Z3U0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DS3225-25KG-Metal-Gear-High-Torque-Waterproof-Digital-Servo-For-RC-Z3U0/223587839001?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
#3 Stock tires will be fine for some time. Backflip LP is my next upgrade.

Charge time is simple match: At 100W (charger); battery voltage (6S ~ 23V), battery capacity 5200mAh (5.2Ah)

Time for a 6S; h= (23V*5.2A)/100W =1.19h=72min
That is theoretical. I'd guess you will be in the 1h range in this setup if you utilize both channels.
Typically you start with your batteries at storage (~3.8V), or if they are 'empty' you will only charge back up to storage levels.
Single channel (200W but you will set the charger to 5.2A; it will be ~ 45min,
Theory is not as straight forward as the charge mode will change from the last ~ 15 min will never change based on balancing etc.

Blast away!

Thank you for the feedback, I have read in reviews that the radio isn't great.

Thanks for the info on the charge times, thats really useful!

Things are looking really positive which is nice:)

Last edited:
I got to the checkout on Friday on hobbyking then it told me they aren't shipping:(
That charger can do 200w 16A to 1 channel I believe or spread 200w 16A between channels.
Hi and welcome- I hear what your saying about getting it in time for your birthday and it will be a bummer not to get it in time but in the long run you will probably be happier with missing the deadline but getting exactly what you want...happy birthday!

Hi and welcome- I hear what your saying about getting it in time for your birthday and it will be a bummer not to get it in time but in the long run you will probably be happier with missing the deadline but getting exactly what you want...happy birthday!
Hi, thank you for the friendly welcome and Birthday wishes:)

Agreed, I'm being tight really as I had a mental budget and I should be able to dig deeper really.

I have been considering the purchase for a while but hadn't really spent enough time doing proper research especially into chargers and batteries. Work has also been crazy for 3 weeks so I ended up rushing this week then finding out that ordering parts hasnt been straight forward. Shouldn't complain though as there are people much worse off than I am!!!

Looks like Kraton territory to me!
The Kraton has a larger vertical shock travel distance which is very useful in this kind of terrain.

But the Talion looks better, right? ?

Looks like Kraton territory to me!
The Kraton has a larger vertical shock travel distance which is very useful in this kind of terrain.

But the Talion looks better, right? ?
Don't do this to me:)
Good point on the shock travel though!
I personally think that the Talion looks like it drove into the ugly tree. Functionality over looks though:)

Talion is awesome, you made the right choice. Besides the typhon it is the lightest and most durable. Do not be tempted to put big heavy wheels/tires on it. You will start to break arms like you do with the Kraton and oc due to the weight. I own them all btw...

It will be fine. We could make a list of vehicles that would be better in one way or another and that would go nowhere fast.
Decision made;)
Talion it is!

Thanks for everyones input!!!
Talion is awesome, you made the right choice. Besides the typhon it is the lightest and most durable. Do not be tempted to put big heavy wheels/tires on it. You will start to break arms like you do with the Kraton and oc due to the weight. I own them all btw...
I think I read one of your post yesterday on a similar thread and you said you really rated the Talion which is good to hear.

Generally I hear really good things about it except the radio/servos which aren't a deal breaker for me.
I think the only thing that concerns me now is that there may be an update or new model in the near future which would be annoying but hey ho.

Last edited:
I doubt there will be anything groundbreaking. A v3 is just as good as a v4.

I doubt there will be anything groundbreaking. A v3 is just as good as a v4.
That's good to know thanks:)
Don't wait, buy now and buy the next one on your next b-day :joyful:
Haha, sounds like a plan:)

Grew up with Nitro cars and would love another, maybe next year;)
Haven't had an RC car for quite some time, last ones I brought where for my Nephews, a Luchbox and a Midnight Pumpkin.
Battery and motor tech has come so far since the days of the Frog, my first RC car:)

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with either of them two for that terrain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back