Original, rebrand, or knockoff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyFromCanada

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I'm in the market for a brushless ESC and motor combo and have been made aware of the original/knockoff/clone range of parts that are alout there.

Has anyone compiled a list of manufacturers, subsidiaries, rebranding, knockoffs, clones, etc? How would one go about working through this to understand fully what one is getting with a purchase.

For example, what is the story behind GoolRC?

Well, for a fact, goolrc is a Chinese brand. That being said, I own a 3650 5200 kv motor from them and it is awesome. Never had a problem with it besides when I over gear it in summer Phoenix, AZ weather. My castle 4600kv will get just as hot. But that doesn’t mean you take a gamble and spend $40 and get something subpar. Now I haven’t compiled a list, and I doubt you’re going to get one that is completely accurate to every user out there but DO read reviews and generalize a consensus of the ones you’ve read so that you make an educated guess and feel good about the money you are spending. You might get lucky and score a rare gem.
So far, from what I’ve seen, leopard and hobbystar are very popular motors to upgrade with for the Arrma 1/8 line up. And my experience has been good with the one goolrc motor that I own. But I’d be hesitant to use their speed controllers. Don’t ask me why, I just have a feeling and would rather spend my hard earned money on a quality hobbywing or castle product. That being said, good luck and happy trails.

I am pretty sure GoolRC is a china mfgr of motors and ESC, and probably other electronics. Lots of the 'store brand' ESCs and motors (like Banggood's Racerstar) are GoolRC. There motors are solid, their ESC are a bit of a gamble. Also, they sell ESC+motor combos that are listed as "Waterproof Motor and ESC" but what they mean is "Waterproof Motor" and ESC. Yeah, the ESC is not waterproof'ed at all.

HSP is the OEM for most 1/10 scale Redcat Racing, Exceed RC and Maverick Racing vehicles.
Himoto is the OEM for Iron Track and Force RC.
Team Magic is the OEM of most Team Redcat vehicles, I can't recall who the OEM is for their new sct.
LC Racing is the OEM for Tacon Racing
And the only clone companies that I can think of are King Motors, Rovan RC and Remo Hobby. King Motors and Rovan RC are known for making HPI Baja clones and Remo makes cheap Traxxas Slash 4x4 clones.

And I do not believe that GoolRC is an actual manufacturer, I believe they just sell Chinese electronics.

Thanks for the inputs. Everything is made in China, so I'm okay with that. But I'm looking for hardware that is well designed, has a warranty, etc. I also recognize that being made by a big name often means paying more for the name itself, but I'm okay with that if it's good. I'd like to stay away from hardware with dubious origins, or selling policies.

I'll keep poking around and see what I can find.

HSP is the OEM for most 1/10 scale Redcat Racing, Exceed RC and Maverick Racing vehicles.
Himoto is the OEM for Iron Track and Force RC.
Team Magic is the OEM of most Team Redcat vehicles, I can't recall who the OEM is for their new sct.
LC Racing is the OEM for Tacon Racing
And the only clone companies that I can think of are King Motors, Rovan RC and Remo Hobby. King Motors and Rovan RC are known for making HPI Baja clones and Remo makes cheap Traxxas Slash 4x4 clones.

And I do not believe that GoolRC is an actual manufacturer, I believe they just sell Chinese electronics.

The Team Redcat TR-SC10E is the old Ofna Jammin SCRT10, made by Hong Nor. Most of the old Ofna cars were made by either Hong Nor, or Habao. Habao now sells their cars under their own brand. Hong Nor retired / sold out a few years ago, and disappeared from the hobby scene till recently. Currently, I only know of 2 Hong Nor hobby grade cars, the TR-SC10E and a MT (the HRN-Mars) that (as far as I can tell) is only sold in China.

Helion is another re-branding brand. I don't think they make anything of their own. They rebrand cars from HSP, JLB and FS Racing, and maybe others.

Also worth noting, Helion appears to be the next target of the Traxxas laywers. They are going after Helion's "Dominus" AKA the JLB Cheetah, and the waterproor RX box.... Apparently the body looks too much like the E-revo.

The Team Redcat TR-SC10E is the old Ofna Jammin SCRT10, made by Hong Nor. Most of the old Ofna cars were made by either Hong Nor, or Habao. Habao now sells their cars under their own brand. Hong Nor retired / sold out a few years ago, and disappeared from the hobby scene till recently. Currently, I only know of 2 Hong Nor hobby grade cars, the TR-SC10E and a MT (the HRN-Mars) that (as far as I can tell) is only sold in China.

I didn't find this out until I bought it & compared it with the extra ofna parts I still had after I sold my Jammin. I raced the heck out of it. I even had the pivot ball kit for the front which fit the Redcat perfectly. My beefed up Jammin was nowhere near as fast as the stock Redcat. The motor can handle some huge pinions but the ESC can't - but that's nothing a blx185 can't fix. But the thing is race ready OoB except for the diff fluids. Even the tires hold up well on dirt & clay.

I didn't find this out until I bought it & compared it with the extra ofna parts I still had after I sold my Jammin. I raced the heck out of it. I even had the pivot ball kit for the front which fit the Redcat perfectly. My beefed up Jammin was nowhere near as fast as the stock Redcat. The motor can handle some huge pinions but the ESC can't - but that's nothing a blx185 can't fix. But the thing is race ready OoB except for the diff fluids. Even the tires hold up well on dirt & clay.
There's a good thread about them on rc tech.

Helion is another re-branding brand. I don't think they make anything of their own. They rebrand cars from HSP, JLB and FS Racing, and maybe others.

Also worth noting, Helion appears to be the next target of the Traxxas laywers. They are going after Helion's "Dominus" AKA the JLB Cheetah, and the waterproor RX box.... Apparently the body looks too much like the E-revo.
picard-facepalm.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back